So, the swine flu is now officially a pandemic

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Abedeus said:
Wow, I'm going to die!! THERE ARE OVER 3.... PEOPLE REPORTED IN POLAND! All are already safe and cured.
There's actually cures for Swine Flu? That really isn't much of a pandemic then.

I guess in December, that's when the vaccine will actually remove swine flu.

The Riff

Aug 23, 2008
They are OVERREACTING! My god the world is going batshit crazy about this, it's fine when they do something, but it gets annoying when they make it a bigger deal than it already is.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Oh no what will our country do if only we had stockplies of flu treatment en masse say enough to treat 2/3rds of the population and a free healthcare system, oh wait sucks to be the rest of the world then.

Not that I think the swune flu will go anywhere.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
There were a few more cases in the netherlands. But one of them was already cured when the news came out.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I dunno on one hand you got the governments, organisations and media going ape shit over the swine flu issue then on the other hand you see just about f*ck all being done about. A person with Swine Flu could walk on to a plane tomorrow, infect everyone on the aircraft and then walk off the other side and not get challenged once. I seriously dunno if they have even the slightest level of control in place to stop people freely spreading this. After all it's air travel and specifically the wankers who are ill and still travel anyway that have caused it to spread as quick as it has.

Beyond that it's a general and big who cares.

Colonel Rosso

Jan 1, 2009
YEEEHAAAA! I already got it, passed it on to the Austrians, the Swiss, the Hungarians (and possibly the Germans) and then skarpered back to the states. Then I recovered. I never really felt like dying to some pandemic, and now I'm immune! Yay.

"A person with Swine Flu could walk on to a plane tomorrow, infect everyone on the aircraft and then walk off the other side and not get challenged once."
-person right in front of me

Yeah, about that... my bad.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
goatzilla8463 said:
Well I don't really care. For some reason, I am immune to everything.

I don't ever catch diseases. ^O^
You have aids, I'm so sorry....

Just kidding but seriously you are asking for a disaster by saying that.

I have a friend who incidentally came down with a serious flu recently and I have my suspicions.

No that I care.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Echer123 said:
Link: http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090611/UN.UN.Swine.Flu/

The World Health Organization has declared the first global flu epidemic in 41 years. Apparently it wasn't a false alarm. Go figure.
Now look up the definition of a pandemic.

From Wikipedia:
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a pandemic can start when three conditions have been met:[1]
-Emergence of a disease new to a population.
-Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.
-Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.
A disease or condition is not a pandemic merely because it is widespread or kills many people; it must also be infectious. For instance, cancer is responsible for many deaths but is not considered a pandemic, because the disease is not infectious or contagious.
It's a big scary word that's incorrectly used in horror movies. It's not about the number of people infected, or the severity of the infection, just the fact that it spreads easily and it's new.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Just because it's spread over a large area doesn't mean it's infected all the people in that area. Also, until the death rate gets above one half of a percent of those infected, I'll leave my mask at home.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Rascarin said:
Swine Flu? I haven't heard that name in weeks.

I'm not worried - I live in the absolute middle of nowhere, and I have no friends so I never have to go anywhere. Yay me?
Sort of yay me. You're safe, at some sort of price though :p

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Given that the infection rates, prognosis, and treatment are all identical to those of virtually every one of the seasonal flu strains, I call false alarm and irresponsible media. It's not like this is the first time we've had some kind of "apocalyptic contagion" running around with a hilariously low infection and fatality rate.

You know what are dangerous pandemics we should worry about? Tuberculosis. AIDS. Flu IN GENERAL. Not some random strain that's attracting attention because some idiot researcher thought it'd be a good idea to tell everyone that it's got a connection to pigs.

EDIT: I should clarify here that I know the denotation of the term 'pandemic'. That said, it's extremely stupid for a major organization to announce that it's using the term in relation to something, because 90% of the people who'll find out will interpret it based on the much more worrying connotation.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Run to the hills! We're all going to die!!!!!11

Seriously though, the normal Flu kills what, 36,000 people in the US alone?

SprodeMaster

Apr 21, 2009
I just hope we don't get Oinked out of existence. And the government is weird.
Hurricane Katrina - Ehh, lemme stay in bed in for 5 minutes....
Pissant Flu in Mexico - HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WE NEED A VACCINE NAAAOOOO!!!

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I would say its more an epidemic than a pandemic, it not killed many people since it's left mexico and its just slightly worse than normal flu.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Why haven't I heard about the swine flu in the last weeks? Oh yes, because it's not as dangerous as some people say it is!