So... there's a Harvey Weinstein movie in the works

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
And it's described as being like The Devil Wears Prada.

The movie about the life of one of Harvey Weinstein?s assistants may have found its lead: Per Deadline, Ozark?s Julia Garner is in talks to star. Kitty Green (Casting JonBenet) will direct the untitled feature, which is based on public records, documents, and interviews. ?It?s sort of Devil Wears Prada--esque ? a young girl begins working for a monster boss,? an executive who?d read the script told The Hollywood Reporter in September. The assistant is said to be a composite of more than one Weinstein Company employee.
https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/devil-wears-prada-style-harvey-weinstein-assistant-movie-finds-star-julia-garner.html?utm_campaign=vulture&utm_medium=s1&utm_source=tw

Now it could be that I was blinded by Meryl Streep's charisma and talent but I certainly don't recall Miranda sexually harassing or assaulting any of her employees or ruining a person's career because they refused her sex.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ok, its official, if you are to look up at the word Irony in the dictionary, a picture of this movie should be on that dictionary's page.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I mean unless the movie is free or they give all profit to #MeToo or some other support group, isn't this in horrific taste? Looking to profit off Weinstein?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This isn't fair. We should get a Cosby movie first. It's because he's black, isn't it? How many women must a guy rape to get a movie made about him? /s

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Agent_Z said:
Now it could be that I was blinded by Meryl Streep's charisma and talent but I certainly don't recall Miranda sexually harassing or assaulting any of her employees or ruining a person's career because they refused her sex.
You know what's funny? Back before even The Devil Wears Prada there was a little movie called Swimming with Sharks, about a young filmcollege grad going to work as an assistant for a big time hollywood producer, and getting horribly mistreated. And you know who played the producer? Kevin Spacey.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There are many ways this could end very badly. I'm reeeeally hoping they don't make a tragic backstory for him and try to make him sympathetic, or make him and obvious monster but that absolutely nobody knew anything about what he was up to.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But of course there is. Why, there's a brexit movie starring Benedict Cumberbatch in the works also. (The dude playing Michael Gove looks nothing like him, but then again Gove does have an exceptionally rare weaselness to him that nature must have substantial difficulties replicating). Can make a film out of any clusterfuck it seems. Makes I wonder why we never got a Jimmy Saville film. Perhaps that would be stepping on too many influential people's toes within this nation's system, maybe a little too close to home to accept.

Though with films like Spotlight, it shows that sensitive non-fiction topics around abuse can be done with respect if handled correctly.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Agent_Z said:
She didn't, but the Devil Wears Prada is a movie about The Boss From Hell who keeps her staff in fear and who forces them to give up on things they find important if they want to work for her. It is obviously not as sleazy as what Weinstein did, but a movie in the same vein about him is probably the only way you can do the topic any form of justice, as it will allow us an outside view from someone close to him.

That being said, this is not really a movie I want to see at all. I struggle to see the merits of making a movie like this when several of the testimonies about what Weinstein did are still fresh in the minds of people. It feels like a quick cash grab meant to cynically exploit Weinstein's notoriety. The words Too Soon feel relevant.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
But of course there is. Why, there's a brexit movie starring Benedict Cumberbatch in the works also. (The dude playing Michael Gove looks nothing like him, but then again Gove does have an exceptionally rare weaselness to him that nature must have substantial difficulties replicating). Can make a film out of any clusterfuck it seems. Makes I wonder why we never got a Jimmy Saville film. Perhaps that would be stepping on too many influential people's toes within this nation's system, maybe a little too close to home to accept.

Though with films like Spotlight, it shows that sensitive non-fiction topics around abuse can be done with respect if handled correctly.
A Brexit movie......I am now even more disappointed that Sir Nigel Hawthorne and Paul Eddington are dead because I could see the significant comedy mileage they could wring out of that with Jonathan Lynn.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
A Brexit movie......I am now even more disappointed that Sir Nigel Hawthorne and Paul Eddington are dead because I could see the significant comedy mileage they could wring out of that with Jonathan Lynn.
Bah. Death can be overcome with CGI and holograms these days. It is but a mere inconvenience. To the observer at least.

I was personally hoping for an Armando Iannucci style take in the booze-smitten veins of 'The Thick of It' and going straight for everyone's jugular. Including and especially the Cambridge analytica scandal amongst other complications.