So, theres a new Wacky Races comic...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
So, this was a classic cartoon from my youth (though made decades before I first saw it), something goofy and silly. If you have no context for it, this was the intro:

So I found out about the new comic by someone sharing a picture of one of the covers.

And... I...

This feels like a Robot Chicken skit mocking gritty reboots. I'm not so much angry as going WTF? I mean for all I know it could be good, but I'm really wondering what they were thinking (or smoking) when they came up with this.

http://comicsalliance.com/new-designs-dc-hanna-barbera-beyond-titles/

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Looking into that link, apparently they are doing weird shit with tons of Hanna-Barbera stuff. Scooby-Doo, Flinstones, and Jetsons as well.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, had heard of the Scobby Doo one before now, but this was the first I knew about wacky races

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Man, is that Sindley Whiplash in the front?

If so then Mutley is going to do more than snicker.

Gah, stop messing with our youth.

What next, a post apocalyptic versions of the Jetsons where they run away from their robotic maid?

Uh oh.

Hope no one heard.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Looks like sumbody in the art department fell asleep in a mound of crack...

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Heard about it earlier this year: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/01/28/hanna-barbera-beyond-flintstones-scooby-and-more-are-getting-comic-book-reimaginings

WACKY RACELAND - Take The Ant Hill Mob, Penelope Pitstop and Dick Dastardly, mix in a healthy dose of "Mad Max" and you get this dark and gritty take on Hanna-Barbera's "Wacky Races," courtesy of writer Ken Pontac (REBOOT, HAPPY TREE FRIENDS) and artist Leonardo Manco (HELLBLAZER), with vehicle designs by Mark Sexton (MAD MAX: FURY ROAD). A time of hope and innocence with Utopia at the finish line has given way to planetary Armageddon and a desert wasteland full of radioactive lakes, nanotech dust storms, and cannibalistic mutants. Against this backdrop, the Wacky Racers and their sentient vehicles continue their contest, but now the competition is for survival, and there can only be one winner when the checkered flag falls.
So what they were probably thinking was "Mad Max: Fury Road is popular, what property of ours could we use to capitalize on this?" and Wacky Races came to mind.

Personally this series of comic titles as well as the proposed cinematic universe for Hannah Barbera cartoons[footnote]Other than the Smurfs who are owned Sony for some reason I'm still not sure of[/footnote]gives me hope that something other than Scooby Doo can be revived/rebooted. And there's tons of stuff in Hannah Barbera's library that's obscure that I'd appreciate get acknowledged from time to time like it did in early Adult Swim programming. Still hoping for a potential revival of Sealab 2020 for the actual year it's set in.

But anyways I can see why someone wouldn't like the designs, but at least I am able to have an educated guess on who corresponds to who from the cartoon to the comic. But yep, still wondering if the designs couldn't have been better, along with wondering how the plot to this whole thing will be.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I can't handle this. The Gruesome Twosome were already bordering on too edgy for me in the original cartoon.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
If I didn't new it was a new Version Wacky Races, I would had said it is a sequel of Carmageddon or Twisted Metal.
Mostly Twisted Metal to be honest.

And you know what? if this comic is actually enjoyable for the good reasons, then I will accept it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok you know what, it made this failed pliot worth watching alot more now!

OT- Err yeah, I just see it as a attempt to be more hip to the current trends of things like they did with Loony Toons with the "Unleashed".

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Rob Liefeld called, he wants his 90's edge back so he can add more pouches.

Screw this noise in any case. I loved the old Wacky Races and this is just making me cringe. Poor Muttley...

The new Flintstones designs I can totally get behind though.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
If it hadn't been for the thread title or being told it's the new Wacky Races, I'd have been pretty dead-set on believing that's the poster for a Necromunda movie.

...Well, aside from the fact that they're all facing the camera and not beating the shit out of each other because they're all from different gangs.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
The new Flintstones designs I can totally get behind though.
Agreed. They're basically the old design we know and love, but with a different art style. No need to try and reinvent the wheel when you have characters so instantly recognizable.

The Wacky Racers however ... even when putting the old and new side by side, I can only really recognize a little over half of them.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Now that I checked again the pic....is above the Helicopter Heihachi Mishima?
Holy sh*t. This character look exactly like him!!!

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
You know, I watch the intro of the original Cartoon and tried to see which old car racer chaption represent in the new incarnation.
It is batsh*t awesome actually.
I mean, you see for example the racers which is a Redneck and a bear together and in the new incarnations, you see they are transform into a drunk Indiana Jones Hunter and man wearing the skin of a Bear.
Or you see the short mafia guys to tranform to Marvel like gansters wearing black suits and masks.

I am excited for the wrong reasons after all!!!!! I want this comic to be insane!!!!

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Groxnax said:
Man, is that Sindley Whiplash in the front?

If so then Mutley is going to do more than snicker.

Gah, stop messing with our youth.

What next, a post apocalyptic versions of the Jetsons where they run away from their robotic maid?

Uh oh.

Hope no one heard.
If I see the robotic maid as a Sexy Robot using rocket Launchers and Lase Guns, I will read it!!! I don't care, It will be a mindf*ck ride I will enjoy!!!

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Sorry, I think it's a great idea, if done with the right spirit. The tongue is clearly planted well and truly in the cheek, and I could totally get behind it. And that's speaking as someone who was a huge fan of the originals, which coincided pretty much exactly with my childhood.