So there's going to be an Artemis Fowl movie

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
tomtom94 said:
Screamarie said:
tomtom94 said:
The major problem I had with the books is that they didn't age with me (and I started reading them at age 10). Got about halfway through Atlantis Complex before realising I'd outgrown it completely. If they are going to make a film that's a risk they'll need to consider.

I suppose now's a good time to make a film. CGI's improved so the fairies should look alright, and there's potential. Maybe not franchise potential, but potential. Just please don't change the core of the whole thing, there's a reason why it works.

Also, re your point about Artemis having a girlfriend (potential spoilers for books 5 through 7)

It's been a while but wasn't that the whole point of Minerva and the sexual tension with Holly in the later books? And wasn't there a fair amount of alleged Stockholm Syndrome in book 1?
Yes, but in the shortest terms Artemis never "hooked up" with anyone. He ended the series without a girlfriend. I just think that they'll want to crowbar a girlfriend in there because "that's the only way girls will be interested" is sometimes the mentality.
Fair point. Here's hoping that whoever's behind this acknowledges that Holly and Juliet are strong female characters in and of themselves...
I hope they REMAIN strong female characters. -_- Holly and Juliet were such badasses! Never got the impression of Stockholm syndrome in Holly in the books. She was rightfully pissed at Artemis for the jerk he had been, but she isn't a character to just let them die being torn apart by a troll. i guess it just shows how much of a "better person" she really is. Her captors also didn't hurt her unnecessarily or something like that, so it's less things to make her want them dead. I wonder who can play Butler. Who is that big and impressively strong, agile and focused?
I hope they learned their lesson and don't just put Johnny Depp in this just because Johnny Depp. XD
I just realized why I might like this series so much too (until Book 6, at least - that just seemed like bad fan fiction): The protagonist has an arc! A personal, emotional arc! He starts the story in a way and changes through the adventure (and it's not even needed! I just happens, when he spends time with other living beings that aren't there to serve him! He learns stuff!).

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Quaxar said:
Sounds intriguing but on the other hand after what they did to Eragon I am not sure what to think anymore.
Not that the books where that special but the films were just painful. Or the first one anyway since it completely ruined any interest I might have had to continue watching.
yes they screwed eragon up...in a really big way, i just pray to the nine that they don't screw this franchise up but i don't hold any hope

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
I like all kinds of movies. But going down your list:
The Godfarther- I know it is a big movie sin but I just never enjoyed it. Got just over half way into the first one and fell asleap.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Read the book. did not like it, never bothered with the movie.

Jurassic Park- While I was impressed at how good it looked I never was a big fan of dinosaurs.

Jaws- Big shark spend movie eating people. Got bored.

The Shining- Did not see this on the list, loved it :)

Wizard of Oz- Did not see this until I was 15 so not a fan

The Social Network- To say I don't give a shit about facebook would be a massive understatment. So you can imagin how much I want to see a movie about the guys who made the bloody thing.

Fight Club- I think I did not like this due to the fact 3 of my friends told me non stop for years that is was such an epic movie. It was just over hyped for me so when I did see it all I could thik was 'Was that it?'

American Psycho- Never bothered with this as I just really don't like Bale.
Also... what about all the other Stephen King books made into movies?
Shawshank Redemption
The Mist
Misery
Green Mile
Carrie
Salem's Lot
It
The Running Man
Secret Window

(They are the ones I have seen and quit liked! The rest can be found here...)

OT: Wow! Haven't reaad them in ages! Since they came out in fact! I have the first 4-5 in hardback! This has the oppertunity to be quite cool... but it will be a kids film! Will it be live action or CGI? Both could work, but I am erring towards CGI to work better!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I like the books, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the film (also I'm really beginning to get burnt out on sci-fi/fantasy/superhero films right now. I'm beginning to want Hollywood to not cater to my tastes). I think in my head I imagine the events as more adult then they were for starters and I never really imagine Holly as particular short or elf-looking. Even if they don't screw up in the way they did with things like Percy Jackson, it's still going to be possible to have a completely faithful adaptation that I don't like and doesn't agree with how I thought about the books.

Saying that, Artemis Fowl and the Artic Incident was the best book, but if they do the original Artemis Fowl, that's by far the most interesting route they could go down in terms of films. A film where the protagonist is a villain and the only thing causing the heroes difficulty? It only worked well in the books, on the film the whole kidnapper moral realisation could work out fantastically. I'd be really excited for that, particularly if they try to write it quite maturely how Artemis' feelings change instead of trying to cram it into a kids formula story with a dramatic change of heart and moral lesson at the end. It's got to be quieter and more gradual

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
tomtom94 said:
The major problem I had with the books is that they didn't age with me (and I started reading them at age 10). Got about halfway through Atlantis Complex before realising I'd outgrown it completely. If they are going to make a film that's a risk they'll need to consider.
I can relate to that somehow. I read them a bit later when I was able to read them in the English original (about 5 years ago?). I read them all - I think - but somehow found it a bit too repetitive in regards to how the stories are built. Always the same "there is a fairy toy for that problem" kind of thing at some crucial point.
Won't it be like with Percy Jackson where you think: Well it's fun but it's so obviously a kids themed thing and therefore cut at certain points to make it PG 12 or less.
I can watch that stuff on DVD (rather slightly childish fantasy than average love-themed comedy IMHO) but am not overly excited for that stuff. It always falls short of the really great stuff made from...a bit more...grown up books....oh god...that sounds so wrong :)

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Dangit2019 said:
The only actor I've ever deciding on being in one of these movies is David Tennant as Foaly. Everthing else is just in the dark.

EDIT: Oh, and if it's animated, Tara Strong as Holly Short. That's all.
I think Asa Butterfiled would be pretty fitting as Artemis, at the age he is in the first book. He certainly looks the part.

Although the suggestion for Jack Gleeson from someone else in this thread sounds brilliant, he's a bit too old by now and I don't think he's taking any more acting jobs for a while after Game of Thrones.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
The first thing that jumps out is the fact that:-
"Disney said the live action feature will be based on the first and second installments of Colfer?s books,".
If my memory serves me correctly, this means the books 'Artemis Fowl' and 'The Arctic Incident'. Books which possess two totally unrelated stories except for the lead characters. If they are indeed going to cram them together, that could leave us with a very disjointed film.
The next question is, who plays who?

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Oh shit... it's live action. Now I'm worried. Two movies in one?? Doubly worried. *sighs*

Maybe I'll have someone watch it and tell me all about it so I can decide if I should myself. Like I did with "Blood and Chocolate." Which I have not watch because they fucked the whole thing up.

I didn't need to know anything else after hearing about the ending. That was all it took.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I remember thinking that the first few were ok at best. Really went downhill from the fourth one onward.

Anyway, they're mashing the first two books together? Clearly they didn't learn from Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (yes, I know Disney didn't make that, but it's a movie that smashed the first three books of a series together and tanked).

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
game-lover said:
I don't know when it started but at some point, my initial reaction to learning that a book/series I've read is turning into a movie is always... anxiety.

Then you get shock. I'm incredibly nervous.

Wondering if it should be Live Action or animated.

Voices might be easier to accept for the characters as opposed to actors playing the roles.

Seriously, who could play Artemis? Who?
Yeah that's kind of my question. A black haired, blue-eyed irish twelve year old who can act both seriously uncompassionate and then do a 180 to show just how much a child he still is it kind of a tall order.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Dangit2019 said:
The only actor I've ever deciding on being in one of these movies is David Tennant as Foaly. Everthing else is just in the dark.

I think Asa Butterfiled would be pretty fitting as Artemis, at the age he is in the first book. He certainly looks the part.

Although the suggestion for Jack Gleeson from someone else in this thread sounds brilliant, he's a bit too old by now and I don't think he's taking any more acting jobs for a while after Game of Thrones.
Wow! That is pretty damn good casting...at least looks wise, I don't know shit about the kid as far as his acting career, but he's got the scrawny body, the blue eyes and his hair could be misconstrued to be black or that's what dyes and wigs are for. Not to mention he wears a suit very well.

You should be the casting director.

Sep 14, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
I loved the book because Artemis was such an anti-hero. He's haughty, overzealous, rich, protected by fuckmothering Butler, thinks he's above authorities, blackmails people, and kidnaps people. Holly was the only truly good character in the entire book series, but Holly's character is absolutely outdone by Artemis's ability to be cold and cunning but still strike the reader as an overly ambitious kid.

You can't have a movie do that, holy shit. Especially not one like Disney, which is a lot more likely to shuck out another Golden Compass or Percy Jackson-quality book.

And I know for certain the movie can't be made without there being some sort of love interest in the mix. No, seriously, there is a require for movies to have a love interest or buddy-buddy focus, otherwise the movie isn't screened. (Something about making it 'interesting for women', take that as a completely made up fact). The enormously memorable troll vs. Butler scene is probably going to be cut or heavily toned down, because the release flaunted the pissing words "family appeal". And Mulch, motherfucking lovable Mulch, what are they going to do to him?

I say, however, the right cast is going to be half of the movie. Butler can't be just a muscular guy, Butler needs to be a monsterous brick shithouse of a man. Whoever casts Artemis (and face it, they're going to scale him up to be at least fifteen) needs to have Artemis' particularly snobbish and punchable personality.

The screenplay, since they're smushing the first two books together (when there's enough story in the books to have their own movies) is certainly going to be icky.
these are my concerns as well, especially about butler, i've always imagined him being a walking fuckin tank

still, i'm slightly optimistic about it for now, i loved the books, so here is to hoping it's handled well.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Screamarie said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Dangit2019 said:

Wow! That is pretty damn good casting...at least looks wise, I don't know shit about the kid as far as his acting career, but he's got the scrawny body, the blue eyes and his hair could be misconstrued to be black or that's what dyes and wigs are for. Not to mention he wears a suit very well.

You should be the casting director.
I can't really take credit; I saw a picture of him in another thread when someone linked to this list: http://imgur.com/a/5BNsS

And I immediately thought "Wow, he looks just like Artemis Fowl". Then suddenly, this thread pops up a few days later. What are the odds? Other than him, I have literally no ideas for other parts apart from those people have already said in this thread.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Screamarie said:
tomtom94 said:

I suppose now's a good time to make a film. CGI's improved so the fairies should look alright, and there's potential. Maybe not franchise potential, but potential. Just please don't change the core of the whole thing, there's a reason why it works.

Also, re your point about Artemis having a girlfriend (potential spoilers for books 5 through 7)

It's been a while but wasn't that the whole point of Minerva and the sexual tension with Holly in the later books? And wasn't there a fair amount of alleged Stockholm Syndrome in book 1?
Yes, but in the shortest terms Artemis never "hooked up" with anyone. He ended the series without a girlfriend. I just think that they'll want to crowbar a girlfriend in there because "that's the only way girls will be interested" is sometimes the mentality.
hey, lets give Alex Rider a girlfriend two books early and get her really involved with the action because reasons.

fucking stormbreaker, piece of crap film.

OT: I only read one of the books as a teen and enjoyed it, as long as they cast artemis and butler well they should ok.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
There was a lot of rumours, when this was last proposed, that Jason Statham would play Butler. A thought that made me happy as a 20-ish year old who loved the books and Butler most of all. Statham fit my exact imagining of Butler.