So there's this project happening that I thought you guys would find very interesting

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Hi everyone.
Some of you may already know about this, but there's this project going down on the internet. It's called "The Universe Project" and it's basically a massive Multiplayer experience based around advancing human technology progression through time, exploring the world, opening up space and all that. I'm really not describing it very well, so just take a look at the site for yourselves;
The Universe Project [http://lnc.hr/eTnN]
Yes, that is my referral url. Everyone who signs up to this thing gets one and the more referrals you get, the better the rewards. But honestly, i'd be making a mistake if I didn't post this here I think. I'm really excited for this and I think it could be done. It's very ambitious, but to me it looks achievable and I just wanted to share it with all of you. So, just take a look and let me know what you all think.
Thanks.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Personally, I believe that the only problem would be the budget. I think they could find all the workers they needed, but how would they pay them? Kickstarter would get them a step closer, but that really wouldn't get them all the way there. I think you're probably right, to be honest, but since I haven't been truly excited for a game in a very long time (Far Cry 3 was the closest i've come recently), I guess it won't hurt to get my hopes up just this once.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Wow, that is so much promises that it's Peter Molyneux to the power of John Romero to the power of another Peter Molyneux cubed.

Beside the issues of budget, manpower and hours to create this arguably very interesting concept, what kind of godly processing power would you need to run a game that has such a vast amount of content and thus variables. I'm probably forgetting about other stuff that would probably prove an almost insurmountable hurdle as well.

Also, and call me a pessimist if you want, but I'm thinking the reason we're not making the game of a 1000 years in the future today, is because we kinda need the 1000 years of advancement required to make that game.

Unless ... we blow ourselves to the stone age tomorrow and the most astounding advancement in the next 1000 years is the recreation of Pong.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
The video really makes it sound awesome :L My only thought is the technology, surely creating the whole world would require a computer beyond our wildest dreams?
Oh and it sounds kinda like minecraft where he says you go on a world and make tools and stuff...

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
In all fairness to the makers though, the Minecraft world is essentially way bigger than our planet already, so assuming the game was only set on Earth (I know they didn't say that, but having the whole universe in a game is ridiculous, I agree), it technically wouldn't be that big in comparison. Like I said though, I do think you guys are right and I don't have my hopes up for this game in it's entirety. More so just a stripped down version that's actually possible.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yes well we all had wet dreams like that, but then we woke up and realized it is just that.
Well can all build perfect games in rough imaginary descriptions but once you actually get to the real technical aspect you see there are real problems to overcome, and some that can't be overcome at all.

Biggest one being human nature, people will be no more civil in that world then they are in this one, hell with anonymity added they are far more likely to set all morality aside and just go trolling.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
well... this truly is a compelling concept, but one has to wonder: is it too ambitious, and can they pull all that off

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Ambitious is one word I'd use to describe it.
Though I would love to see it built my logic can't take it as anything but a flop waiting to happen.
Mr.K. said:
Biggest one being human nature, people will be no more civil in that world then they are in this one, hell with anonymity added they are far more likely to set all morality aside and just go trolling.
See DayZ for an example.
Due to not having any downsides such as pain or death, people can do whatever they want without fear, fear is what stops people and drives others. Fact is if it's just going to be a parallel world then putting in game mechanics to create more fear wouldn't work within the setting ether, so the game is flawed from the beginning. I'm not saying that they can't find a way to overcome it, I'm say that if they do then the game most likely wont be the game they set out to make.

And yeah.
Budget.
Can't get around that really.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
The promises feel kind of familiar. Not the whole thing, but the bits and pieces have already been done. Most of them failed.

Even IF it gets released, there are two ways for something like this to launch:

Like Xsyon, where the developers get crushed under their own ambition, get forced into releasing a barely working alpha for budgetary reasons, and then lose those same players to an unpolished and painful product.

Or

Like Spore, which ends up delivering the bullet points it promises but each individual feature being so shallow and undercooked that people forget about the game as soon as it's released.

And wtf is the point of a world the size of our own, anyway? At it's peak, the most successful MMO had 15 million players, a world the size of Texas would have sufficed, and even then that's ALOT of wasted space in their 'universe.'

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
This seems a bit too ambitious in my opinion. It does sound interesting though.
chimpzy said:
Also, and call me a pessimist if you want, but I'm thinking the reason we're not making the game of a 1000 years in the future today, is because we kinda need the 1000 years of advancement required to make that game.
This seems a bit too ambitious in my opinion. It does sound interesting though and this is just what I was thinking.

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
Meh. I'm unsure if I would even want to play such a game. I already live in a beautiful, complex world, and games are for me used to cater to experiences that are impossible or infeasible in real life. Why live a dream when you can live a life?

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
I suggest following their blog [http://universeprojects.blogspot.co.uk/]. It seems to explain their goals pretty well and it comes a step closer to justifying their ambition. I mean, there is certainly no guarantee this game will happen, but their blog seems to hold up the ideas pretty well.

Meh. I'm unsure if I would even want to play such a game. I already live in a beautiful, complex world, and games are for me used to cater to experiences that are impossible or infeasible in real life. Why live a dream when you can live a life?
I would agree with this, but since the game doesn't start in today's world, it gives you the chance to start over the course of man kind as the players wish. It allows us to go back and re-write events. The way in which the users play the game would change the outcome of humanity.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
i would prefer if you remove your referral link otherwise i see this only as advertizing
referral free link http://launch2.universeprojects.com/

really dont see how this differs in any way than me coming in here with:

hey guys there is this awesome place to get shoes now. check out www.cheap-chinese-shoe-knockoffs.com/refer=lechat

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
lechat said:
i would prefer if you remove your referral link otherwise i see this only as advertizing
referral free link http://launch2.universeprojects.com/

really dont see how this differs in any way than me coming in here with:

hey guys there is this awesome place to get shoes now. check out www.cheap-chinese-shoe-knockoffs.com/refer=lechat
It is different, because I'm trying to share something with the people here. Yeah, fair enough I'm using my personal referral link, but what's the point in having one if I can't use it? Surely if I'm given one, I should use it. As well as this, I made it perfectly clear that people would be using it.

There's no difference between
"Guys check out this website I found [Insert link to web page here]"
and
"Guys check out this website I found [Insert referral link to web page here]"

Edit:
FelixG said:
Also fun fact: its planned to be isometric to start with, that should be pretty cool, though their "real money transactions or in game transactions, your choice!" idea has me rather...concerned
I agree with this. I'm not sure the real money transactions thing is a very good idea as there is the concern that it will break the game. I think it would be much better off if it was all in game transactions.

Quijiboh

Mar 24, 2011
My concern is what kind of a time investment it would require to play. Building all of human history to this point in real life took thousands of years. If everything happens manually, as the game seems to suggest, how much player input is required for any real advancement, and how much time are players going to be willing to invest?

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Smells like a scam. I mean even if it were possible (which to a certain extent it is by stripping down the level of detail to a sufficient degree) there's nothing in there to make it a compelling experience, just promises that sound cool before you step back and question what it would actually be like to play.