So this just happened with Anita Sarkeesian.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/14/6978809/utah-state-university-receives-shooting-threat-for-anita-sarkeesian-visit

For those not wanting to click the link:

"Anita Sarkeesian, creator of the popular Tropes vs. Women video series, is at the center of yet another death threat. The Standard Examiner reports that the director of Utah State University's Center for Women and Gender, along with several other people, received an email promising a mass shooting if they didn't cancel a speaking engagement for Sarkeesian, who was scheduled to talk at the center on Wednesday morning.

Sarkeesian later announced on Twitter that she had been forced to cancel the appearance because of security fears; requests for firearm searches at the venue were turned down because of Utah's relaxed open-carry laws. A member of the Center for Women and Gender confirmed to The Verge that the threat was real, although she and campus police declined to provide more details.

The Standard-Examiner has printed what it says are excerpts from the letter, in which the unknown author (who claims to be a Utah State student) claims to have "a semi-automatic rifle, multiple pistols, and a collection of pipe bombs." More specifically, they threatened to carry out a "Montreal Massacre-style attack" against Sarkeesian and anyone who attended the talk. "Feminists have ruined my life and I will have my revenge," reads the email."

I gotta say, just wow. I don't necessarily agree with Ms. Sarkeesian or her web series, but some people take things WAY too far. I also want to say however this isn't the first time something like this has happened to silence apposing views.

Here are a few examples of "Feminist Groups" doing the same.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for-men/threats-of-violence-and-death-against-doubletree-hilton-in-detroit-over-mens-conference/

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/1000093/protesters-shut-down-u-of-o-professors-mens-rights-talk/

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/between-errands-april-thompson/2013/dec/5/argentina-women-attack-church-while-men-try-protec/

No matter what side you're on MRA or Feminist, or hell, even if you're neither, if you do shit like this, I WILL NOT HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR YOU OR WHAT YOU STAND FOR.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I just saw this somewhere else. This shit is fucking sad.

Too many nutjobs out there using their first world problems as an excuse to hurt others. If there is a hell, such people belong there.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Neither would I. Interestingly, though, I have so far met ZERO people in Gamergate who evince anything but similar disgust for such people. That's one reason I cannot take the "zomg GG hates wimmin" line seriously: I simply am not seeing it manifest except in claims from people who already hate the movement that it does.

I do wish to say, however, that I hope the FBI becomes involved now, because that's an allegation of threatened mass-terrorism. Not merely a death threat against one person. That becomes national-security material and should be investigated THOROUGHLY. Indeed, it's a federal crime even if it's totally falsified.

Whomever made that threat needs to be brought down.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
Fappy said:

Too many nutjobs out there using their first world problems as an excuse to hurt others. If there is a hell, such people belong there.
Agreed.

Side Note: It's always hard to keep track of you when you're not a winking cat.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Calbeck said:
Neither would I. Interestingly, though, I have so far met ZERO people in Gamergate who evince anything but similar disgust for such people. That's one reason I cannot take the "zomg GG hates wimmin" line seriously: I simply am not seeing it manifest except in claims from people who already hate the movement that it does.

I do wish to say, however, that I hope the FBI becomes involved now, because that's an allegation of threatened mass-terrorism. Not merely a death threat against one person. That becomes national-security material and should be investigated THOROUGHLY. Indeed, it's a federal crime even if it's totally falsified.

Whomever made that threat needs to be brought down.
So far I haven't seen her attribute this to #GG (and I don't expect her to). I suspect she'd be getting this threat even if she never spoke out about them in the first place.

Wraith said:
Fappy said:

Agreed.

Side Note: It's always hard to keep track of you when you're not a winking cat.
I am an elusive ************ ;)

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Seriously as much as I dislike this is starting to piss me off, I find her ignorant and often flat out wrong but I do not find her in any way malicious and the people who think she is have irritated me for some time. Let her speak, it is the best thing you can do. When she make bogus arguments tell people why they are bogus arguments, and by the way if she make a valid point which I fully admit she does in most if not all of her talks admit the point is valid that is how you win a debate. Hell this is how you have a conversation, stop shutting down conversations.

DC_78

Dec 9, 2013
Well let's hope the student is either bluffing, or just really bad at covering their tracks. I am sure the FBI will have a wonderful cell saved for the crazy. Horrible that she felt the need to cancel it will just encourage others to do this too. Never give in to bullies.

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
I don't like Anita Sarkeesian, but she certainly doesn't deserve this.

Hopefully the dishonorable fool who made this threat will be caught soon.

Panda Pandemic

Aug 25, 2014
I'd like to point out for the first 'feminist' example it's anonymous and they didn't provide proof. Google suggests the police were not contacted according to some and the hotel didn't confirm. Since its AVFM and Paul 'jury nullification for all rape trials' Elam I'm not inclined to believe it.

The second is non-violent.

And the third does seem to actually contain violence Then again when its serious issues like people being against basic rights like able to get an abortion I'm not really as sympathetic since no murder or attempted murder seemed to be involved

Maybe I'm a bit critical but when someone links AVFM my opinion is inclined to be pretty negative

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Have to say, round of applause for Sarkeesian (and every other woman of any sort of note talking about feminism) for sticking with it despite lots of people saying they want to murder her.

That is no small thing.

KokujinTensai

Feb 11, 2009
I'm not trying to sound callous or mean, but what makes her any different from any other "celebrity" (Used very loosely) who receives death threats? Not trivializing it in any way, but why do we keep focusing exclusively on her?

Also why are members of the Gaming industry the only ones who seem to take internet threats seriously?

psijac

$20 a year for this message
Nov 20, 2008
Students in Utah who are 21 or older and have completed the training and background checks, are legally allowed to carry concealed handguns on campus and into classrooms. Colleges by law in that state cannot ban a such activity. Sarkeesian did not cancel until she found this out.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
All the people giving these threats do is bolster her.

It's become one of those 'YOU CAN'T CRITICIZE HER, SHE'S BEEN THREATENED WITH DEATH AND RAPE AND OTHER BAD STUFF!' situations.

It gives intellectually bankrupted fools like her a kind of 'can't touch this armor' or pass.

If you REALLY want to bring down someone who has done about as much 'research' into her crusade of choice...as she has.
You bring them down with FACTS.
You destroy them with WORDS.
You stop them with REASON.

A.S. is a well-meaning, I hope, but insanely bias fool who is about as trustworthy when it comes to 'gaming based discussions' as a PETA is on animal shelters.

ANYONE who would use TERRORISM to shut someone up, deserves the jailing that's a coming to them..

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
KokujinTensai said:
I'm not trying to sound callous or mean, but what makes her any different from any other "celebrity" (Used very loosely) who receives death threats? Not trivializing it in any way, but why do we keep focusing exclusively on her?
This is a gaming site, she's getting threats because she's said stuff about games.

There's a zillion other celebrities (And not celebrities) getting the same rape and death threats, she's just more relevant to this site. Admittedly, she's also more high profile than many.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
I take issue with this because MRAs are nothing like Feminists. MRAs are a reactionary movement against Feminism. To compare the threats against them (while similar) are completely different. The threats against Sarkessian hold more weight in rhetorical 'real world' sense as feminists have been killed before at college grounds. The supposed threats against MRAs and speakers is more or less used to galvanize their hatred of Feminists, not to speak out against 'threats' themselves.

one squirrel

Aug 11, 2014
Quadocky said:
I take issue with this because MRAs are nothing like Feminists. MRAs are a reactionary movement against Feminism. To compare the threats against them (while similar) are completely different. The threats against Sarkessian hold more weight in rhetorical 'real world' sense as feminists have been killed before at college grounds. The supposed threats against MRAs and speakers is more or less used to galvanize their hatred of Feminists, not to speak out against 'threats' themselves.
So I can send death threats to feminists If it is only to "galvanize their hatred" against men? Nice to know that you will be here to defend me, when I do that.

The hypocrisy in this post is appalling.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
one squirrel said:
Quadocky said:
So I can send death threats to feminists If it is only to "galvanize their hatred" against men? Nice to know that you will be here to defend me, when I do that.

That is not what I meant at all. Sending death threats against feminists has real world weight. Feminists see such threat in context to others they and others have received and react like "Oh shit, that is fucking scary."

Sending death threats against MRAs (while a shitty thing) is not the same in that regard and such threats are mostly used (even really minor ones) as yet another brick to stack on the pile of "WHY WE HATE FEMINISTS GRRR". The fact that the OP has a link to the website avoiceformen speaks more toward that specific reactionary element considering its Paul Elam's mouthpiece for his specific brand of anti-feminist rhetoric.

one squirrel

Aug 11, 2014
Quadocky said:
one squirrel said:
Quadocky said:

That is not what I meant at all.
I see that, that's why I call you a hypocrite.
Quadocky said:
[Sending death threats against feminists has real world weight. Feminists see such threat in context to others they and others have received and react like "Oh shit, that is fucking scary."
And MRAs should just ignore it because no man has ever been killed by a crazy woman.
Quadocky said:
Sending death threats against MRAs (while a shitty thing) is not the same in that regard and such threats are mostly used (even really minor ones) as yet another brick to stack on the pile of "WHY WE HATE FEMINISTS GRRR". The fact that the OP has a link to the website avoiceformen speaks more toward that specific reactionary element considering its Paul Elam's mouthpiece for his specific brand of anti-feminist rhetoric.
This sounds like your primary objection against threaten MRAs with killing them is that tey could take advantage of it.