So... this Steambox thing...

bobajob

Jun 24, 2011
You can't sell what is effectively a PC for less than it would cost you to buy the parts at cost & frickin build one(easier than it sounds, honestly) or am I missing something?

Incidentally, I recently opened my 5-year-old PS3 to blow out the dust. It was not pretty. Now I realise why gaming PC cases have those big-ass fans on the front(apart from obvious overclocking potential)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Its interesting although if it is going to run pc games then I don't know how feasible the hardware cost would be in order for the steambox to run a range of pc games well over a period of a few years. Would Valve take the hit in cost to get people using steam and recoup the losses in hardware there? Or well we run into the problem of the steambox falling way behind the pc market like other consoles.

Also that's saying nothing about Valve time. We are still waiting for the next real big leap in console hardware, if Valve are thinking getting into consoles then this gap will seem small in comparison to gaps between Valve consoles :p

bobajob said:
You can't sell what is effectively a PC for less than it would cost you to buy the parts at cost & frickin build one(easier than it sounds, honestly) or am I missing something?

Incidentally, I recently opened my 5-year-old PS3 to blow out the dust. It was not pretty. Now I realise why gaming PC cases have those big-ass fans on the front(apart from obvious overclocking potential)
Yikes, I dread to think what state my 6 year old PS3 is going to be in since I've never opened it up to clean it.

Deadlywere

Mar 25, 2011
babinro said:
Why would a console gamer get a console that offers no exclusives?
What do you mean no exclusives? There's load of games like Amnesia, Sims, and all those RTS games that can be played on the PC (Which is what the steam box is).

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Nobody here have a Spectrum +2 or Amiga back in the 8/16 bit era? As someone who has, and how imo gaming was better on those platforms compared to older PCs my next rig could very well be a Steambox.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Steambox wont happen.

Valve is to busy with VR goggle headsets.
Oculus Rift!!!!! [http://www.oculusvr.com/] Can't wait!

For anyone that doesn't know: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/361131/valve-epic-and-id-software-trigger-kickstarter-craze-for-vr-headset/

And if it somehow works with Leap Motion [https://leapmotion.com/], even better.

2013 is going to be a crazy year for technology.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
SilverUchiha said:
I have to ask, what's the incentive to the people who already know and love Steam and already do everything that the Steambox can pretty much do on a PC?
None. SteamBox is not for people who already game on a PC.

It's being made to reach into a new market.