So today government agents knocked on my door

Jun_Jun

Sep 21, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
You do realise that it was actually the Men In Black who answered your door, and you were involved in an hour long massive incident involving aliens, shootouts, chases, fights, explosions and Will Smith rapping, at the end of it they repaired the damage, and told you you had just completed a boring government survey about drugs, heck, one of them even gave you $30 (Thats how I know it was Will Smith, as he was always really nice to the people he zapped, whereas Tommy lee Jones was rather apathetic about it)

So that hour was probably the most amazing, adrenaline pumping, mind blowing adventure of your life, but you can't remember it.

Oh well, in response to your question me and my friend when we were about 10 were walking about our village, and a man in a suit shouted over to road to us and called us into the back of his van. Naturally we obediently got right into the van, and it turned out he was a council planner doing some community work. We answered some questions, there were other older people that properly talked to him about the area, and it took about half an hour.
Oh, and by the way...
Don't worry it could have been worse... it could have been this 'government' worker

To add to this, I don't usually get any random people knocking on my door unless they're jehova's witnesses or teleco workers. I have a sign on my front door that says 'no doorknockers' , usually I will answer the door when they knock and ask them if they can read, if they say yes then I close the door in their face. :)

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I don't answer the door unless I know the person on the other side, or they have my food/package. I don't want to hear about your religion, how you need to sell these magazines so you can go to Cancun, or about the security system you want to install. I might want to hear about your cookies, but only if you have Thin Mints for me now, not in 6 months.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
manaman said:
Eclpsedragon said:
How do you act when strangers knock on your door?
I answer the door with a shotgun, then I yell at those wippersnappers to get off my property.
I actually answer with a shotgun, but I keep it in my hand behind the door so they don't instantly freak out. Shell's chambered and safety off, mind you.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Eclpsedragon said:
So has anything random like this ever happened to you?
How do you act when strangers knock on your door?
according to them, i don't even exist. this i find odd. what if i go missing?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I ask "how can I help you?" inconspicuously survey the area behind and around them, and think if what they want of me, is money.
If it is, I tell them "no, I am not interested" and usually close the door in their face. Not slam, that would be rude. I just calmly close the door in their face, similar to closing the window of a rickroll I get.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I freak out.

I don't know, maybe I'm some paranoid nutjob, but I've heard too many stories and see too much crap that I am afraid to answer my door for strangers. I always fear it's some sort of robbery or it's some weird government crack down, Mirror's Edge style.

This is seriously going to suck once I move to a new neighborhood and have those welcoming committees... but I have never seen one of those yet in my entire life, is that always in the movies? Because I never, ever hear or see people welcoming someone new to the neighborhood, they just stare from their window's and watch them unpack.

They're part of a larger government conspiracy. All of your neighbors. All of them

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Before I open my door to complete strangers and soliciters, I like to make sure I'm not wearing pants. I also make it a point to wear shoes, sometimes without socks. Secondly, gotta stick with the t-shirt and tie combination. It could either be a bow tie or regular neck tie. Lastly, always make sure you're eating cereal with very inconvenient serving dishes. My personal favorite, large mixing bowl with a spatula. Put all those elements together and you're not likely to see them again.

TheEndlessGrey

Sep 28, 2009
I don't answer unless it's food or a friend. I've wasted enough time talking to people selling religion door to door, or magazines for the school trip. "If I sell the most I could win a trip to Cancun!" That's great sweetheart, you know where I've never been? Cancun. Welcome to life, where dreams don't come true. Now get off my porch.

Feb 9, 2011
Unless I'm expecting someone or something, I never answer the door. I might peak out my second story window to see (perhaps it is UPS dropping off my package?), but if there is no car I recognize out there, I won't bother. I hate when people knock on my door. It's annoying.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
When someone rings on my doorbell I turn off all sounds in the house, creep up slowly to the... eye thingy(don't know the English word >.<), check who it is, walk slowly back to my room and then proceed to sit in complete silence for 10 minutes.
Social phobia rocks.

Luckily there's a code to get into the hallway, so it's not very often it happens.

NeonOranges

Jan 16, 2011
I check through the window to see if the person looks like an axe murderer and if they don't I just, answer the door.

One time I was stuck in a conversation with these two little old ladies about the book of Mormon because I was too polite to ask them to leave... it was cold out so I invited them inside and made them tea...

Looking back on it I was a real wimp when I was twelve.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
reminds me of the time some religous flok showed up to sell me God.

i live in australia, in the country, away from civilisation, in summer and they walked, felt i should listen to them.

but i wasn't putting down the guinness, getting out of the hammock or putting on my pants.(i was underage at the time)

so i guess i'm kind but don't really listen unless I'm interested, or i just like wasting peoples time.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
i find the mormons are even worse then the JW's usually young guys in black suits with thick american accents its like GO AWAY! :D

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
I'd have asked for some official documentation if I'd been you, buddy. I doubt it was anything overly serious -- or dodgy, for that matter, but you never know. If they were leaning more specifically towards questions about drugs and alcohol (as it sounds they were), then they might simply be getting statistics for their use in your area or state or whatever. That's what it sounds like when they're asking about your yearly income and whatnot, i.e. "We've found a correlation between income and substance abuse in California." Or something like that. >.>

But I also subscribe to the Men in Black theory that was posted. You've had the time of your life and you're never going to remember it.

I never open the door unless it's someone I know or it's the postman with a parcel that I need to sign for, or something along those lines. Otherwise, it's either Jehovah's Witnesses trying to flog me religion or door-to-door salesman trying to flog me gas meters and shit. No thanks.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I answer my door to anyone! I will then argue with them, or attempt to do most of the talking! If they are selling stuff I will always ask for a demo, and not buy it, but I never let them in! I will make them demo outside! I had a great one once when I got an extension cable from my garage and a piece of old carpet so a guy could demo a vacuum cleaner! Would have been easier to let him in, but naah, i'd rather waste their time!!

Edit: I forgot.. The other thing that really annoys me is when people come to the door and ask me if my parents are in...! I have my own house!!! God Damn It that's annoying! I enjoy the little speech I give about the dangers of assumption. :p

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Hey, I actually enjoy random people dropping by. Gives me a chance to screw with them.
Jehovas Witnesses, I usually open the door dressed in black with some blood on my face, telling them I just finished sacrificing a goat and asking if they want to join my ritual orgy.
Most anyone else, I open the door dressed in my wife's blouse and boxer shorts.

Fun times:p

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
HerbertTheHamster said:
I usually welcome people who are obviously selling something with Insha'Allah or similar, even if it makes no sense.
?? Could you please explain that? Insha'Allah is basically Arabic for God willing, why is it being used in this context?

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Darth_Dude said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
I usually welcome people who are obviously selling something with Insha'Allah or similar, even if it makes no sense.
?? Could you please explain that? Insha'Allah is basically Arabic for God willing, why is it being used in this context?
Think he meant As-Salamu Alaykum, or some derivative thereof. Can't be sure tho.
Insha'Allah works too, come to think of it. Most people who come to your house uninvited won't know the difference anyway.