So...two guys just made off with 6000 copies of MW3

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
A buddy of mine got a copy already. One of those "oh shit we sent it too early" things. He doesn't want to play it, though, since its on Xbox and doesn't want to get banned. Can't say I blame him.

wrightry

Feb 22, 2009
This is why I don't play Modern Warfare... the community is full of idiots like these hijackers. Or 12 year olds that want to do horrible sexual things to your mother.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
People actually care about playing the next samey shooter *that* badly? What is wrong with you, human race? You used to be cool.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Phlakes said:
So, some people steal some shit and you turn it into hate for Activision? Classy.
Can't blame him - they're milking the franchise by even creating a new one and the new child death ploy screams No Russian.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Why do I have this mental image of two TF2 spies disguising as car drivers, backstabbing the delivery driver and then walking behind the 'payload' to its destination?

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
This reminds of the guy a while back who robbed a Gamestop & got a whole bunch of MW2 copies. (600 I think). What's with people & stealing COD games? Either way having your game robbed twice is amazing PR regardless of rather or not it's set up.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Am I the only one that wishes that one hijacker was a fat old guy in a Santa suit and the other a midget in an elf costume?

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
This robbery (as funny as it is) is rather pointless.

The game is going to be released in what, a week? I believe I read that Microsoft is banning anyone who has this game in their play history early from XBL, and I mean come on...who really would pay ungodly sums of money to play a game a few days early? Not I...

Sagacious Zhu

Oct 17, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
How in the world will they sell their stolen goods without getting caught? Unless it's been done by organized crime who can ship the games to other places.
You don't need to be a professional criminal to fence stolen goods these days. I would imagine that it would be fairly easy to sell the copies a few at a time over the next month, either selling them online or selling them "back" to small gaming stores.

Do they have some way of identifying which copies are stolen? (i.e. serial numbers between x and y were in that shipment)

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if they can narrow down the range of CD keys in that delivery and just cancel them.

What's most amusing about this is, if caught, the thieves probably stand to get a lesser sentence than someone who downloaded a single pirated copy :)

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'm not sure the actual hijackers were desperate to play the game. Like you said, it was worth a lot of money and probably not guarded too heavily (just one dude driving). If someone is willing ot pay over a grand for one copy on eBay then stuff like this is bound to happen.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Wait, wait, wait, got some appropriate music for this...
Thar we go.

Anyway, if they are smart, they could make millions. If they sell each copy online for $200 US, they could walk away with a cool million from this, if not more. That is, if they are smart. Still, it is rather interesting to watch people risk jail time to steal more copies of MW3 than anyone would ever need.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
People steal merchandise worth over $500,000 and peoples responses are "They must really want to play the game"? I have this strange feeling that they may be planning to, you know, earn money from 6,000 stolen games rather than committing armed robbery to get a copy for themselves. Worst case scenario for them (bar getting caught of course): They sell them off over an extended period of time over the Internet and as used games. At $20/game (which seems conservative to me) that's $120,000. Is it the most profitable robbery? No, but it was apparantly very easy and safe to do, and the stuff they stole isn't that hard to sell.

RagnaThePig

Oct 27, 2010
"Something happened in [insert non-english speaking country here] !"

"Ho ! Those wacky non-english people ! Aren't they weird ? Ha ha ha ha..."