So, what console DID get you excited?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The PS3. I was pretty much handhelds before then. I'm serious, Gameboy through to Nintendo DS.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
xPixelatedx said:
Terramax said:
Well, with all this talk of the PS4 and Xbone not meeting out [impossible] expectations, I was wondering what console did appear that literally had you gobsmacked, and maybe even rushing out and buying, launch day?
SNES:
Nintendo Power appropriately hyped me up for Zelda: A link to the past as well as Super Mario world. These games and the graphics and the 'scope' of it all also turned out to all be true.
the funny thing about Super Metroid is.. playing it through now, knowing where everything is, and knowing where to go, and where each of the metroidvania segments click into place, the game is actually a lot more shallow then it FEELS... if that makes any sense.. like.. it's a game that's very heavy handed in terms of design.. There's really no freedom at all except the freedom to get completely fucking lost.

that being said, I freaking love me some super metroid.. I'm in no way calling it a bad game, even when you can see the feet of the man behind the curtain... It's just all a facade..... Unless you're first starting to play it, then it's a witch's pot of mystery and everything seems to randomly click into place.. but there's really nothing random about it, and a few tricky skill-based shortcuts aside, the game is a tunnel from beginning to end.. Whereever you are in the progression, there's really only one place to go to progress - unless you're excellent at shinesparking, wall jumping and bomb hopping.. then the game opens up a bit more... but once you've mastered those skills, that freedom too becomes an illusion.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Terramax said:
So, what was yours guys?
Probably gamecube for me. N-64 and Playstation was bigger, but I'd played them hugely over friend's houses and stuff so was kind of used to it when I got one.
With the Gamecube I was a first adopter.

What sold it? Rogue Leader. Played the first to death, and I remember the graphics of Rogue Leader were just mindblowing at the time. Jaw literally dropped when I saw the first trailer:
And that was a launch game. Not like they spent 5 years working out how to optimise the console. Not to mention the graphics were a little better in-game if anything...
I remember for about the first few weeks of play I'd notice lasers glowing off metal or explosion debris or something, and just think jesus.
The next time I was that shocked by graphics was with Crysis!

Anyhow, Rogue Leader still feels pretty polished and it's what? Holyfuck, 12 YEARS OLD?
Now I feel old.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
The Sega Megadrive

I flipped when I got it for xmas.
There were these random games I had never heard of...the game covers looked good and when I played them I was not disappointed. Streets of Rage, columns, super hang on and shinobi blew my mind

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Actually, I am fairly excited for the PS4. inFAMOUS: Second Son looks awesome, and the native livestreaming thing is cool. Not terribly psyched about the new controller design, but whatever, I'll just get used to it.

But really, I don't get excited over consoles. I get excited over games. I choose my consoles (and handhelds) based on the games they have.

Though at this point I'm practically a Sony loyalist because of their exclusive franchises.
Mimsofthedawg said:
People who don't like the vita have never played it!

I mean there are exceptions, sure, but it's SUCH a good system. Why can't Sony market it better and get more support from fans and devs?!
I like the Vita, though I've never even seen one in real life. It's got a lot of power, and dual analogs! And I really want to play Persona 4 Golden. But it just doesn't have enough games to make it feel like a worthwhile investment yet. :c

Ultra Man30

Nov 20, 2009
The Gamecube was and still is my all-time favorite console. I just love all of the great gems on the system, such as Paper Mario, Billy Hatcher, and Kirby Air Ride. There are so many more games I love on it that I can't list them all. The N64 is a close second, even though it has the one game that I would call "bad" on it. I would still say that the great games from those systems still hold up today. I think I'll now go play some Mischief Makers.

Greyhamster

Nov 26, 2010
The PS Vita. And dear god, the moment I held it in my hands I fell in love. It's a beautiful device.
Other than that not much. I used to be a pure PC gamer until I got a ps3 to play with friends.

It's kinda Sony's thing: They deliver beautiful, powerful devices which are horribly expensive. But eh, a bit of looking around and you can get em a lot cheaper (The aforementioned Vita cost me 180 including a 32GB memory card and PS plus gave me a heap of games to play)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Probably the SNES, PS1 and PS2 where the three systems I was most hyped about. Still have a PS2 as well, not my original one though, it was a gen 1 PS2, it had to be retired due to age, gotta newer slim PS2 now though :3

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
I guess the PS2 is the only one I was rushing out to get on launch-day-ish-week, and mostly because my friend was pretty pumped about it and we decided to share custody.

I really don't wanna be the type of gamer that is salivating at the mouth and has to wait in line and put up with extra bullshit just to be one of the first to play a new console. Why set yourself up for what could be a massive let-down? Wait till a handful of games come out and pick the best ones that suit your tastes, seems like a no-brainer to me.

Maybe I could see myself getting excited about the Steam Box, if this system really does combine the best of both worlds... but yeah it could be the next Phantom for all I know.

Come to think of it, I was WAY more excited about my first gaming PC than I was about any other console, so I think the pc-elitist-troll has a point. I knew I was getting a great machine for my money that I could easily find solid games for(my friend gave me his copy of elder scrolls 3: morrowind and the pc version wasted the xbox version, believe me I was as happy a gamer as any of you have ever been), and my system had a poor-man's DVR (radeon all-in-wonder)before the average person had even HEARD of such a thing. I was an idiot and a broke loser, but I knew enough to google for solutions to my problems and not to go to a chain like futureshop for my parts (though I did have a few acquaintances that were willing to offer guidance) and had the disposable income I needed to give it a good home for longer than I enjoyed my N64 for.

I will admit thought, that consoles have had some major wins in their time, So don't let the elitists talk down to you, give me their names and I will kick them in the balls on your behalf.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Nintendo 3DS. Looking to see how Steambox & Ouya fare in a year. But once the library has my mandatory Nintendo franchise games, I'll be getting the Wii U.

If you mean for all times ever, I guess the Genesis as a kid, & the Gameboy Advance, NDS, & PS1 as a retro gamer.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
The Wii.

The motion controller thing was always kinda meh, but the ability to point at the screen as a replacement for aiming with a joystick was an awesome thing. Didn't really deliver though, Resident Evil 4 Port, Metroid Prime 3, and then that was it.

Regless

Jul 28, 2012
Let's see... I'd have to say most of the nintendo and sony systems. Xbox always wanted to get me online or lacked the exclusives I was was gunning for. These days I prefer PC. But I'm still excited for the WiiU because I like the tablet controller idea and the PS4 because games on that system have never let me down. In contrast the only system I regret getting is the 360. Online play on a console just ain't for me.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
TBH It was never really a console as much as a hand held. The Gameboy Color. When Pokemon first came out everyone at school was obsessed. We all loved the card game. THEN we found out that there was a handheld videogame version for the Gameboy. I saw my classmates living out the anime on their screens, and I HAD to have that game. So I saved up $120.00 A large sum of money for a 3rd grader, and bought it and red version with the game guide on my birthday. Sadly, my birthday was on a Wednesday, and I tried staying up and playing it, my folks caught me and confiscated it for two days...

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
amiga and ps2. both were excellent consoles and i still have my ps2 :)
Do even know what a console is? Spoiler alert!!! Amiga wasn't one.

On Topic: For me it was the Colecovision, couldn't wait for that one, was really looking forward to WarGames, which was really good and worked well with the Coleco controller.

Biggest disappointment was a tie between the ActionMax and XBox 360, the ActionMax probably edges the XBox out a bit, at least I enjoyed Alan Wake on XBox. Still there was not anything else to like about it, when you have a gaming PC and a PS3 and absolutely no interest in either Halo or Gears of War, XBox has little to nothing to offer.

As for the PS4 and XBone, well what Microsoft is doing is not surprising in the least. Hopefully this time unlike with the RRoD fiasco gamers that choose the console route will wake up, you are not Microsoft's target audience anymore, don't let them walk all over you just because they are the only American entry in the console market. Microsoft only want some of that sweet, sweet casual cash cow money, or Nintendo dollars we will call them. As for the PS4, I am still interested, I never buy consoles immediately anyway, and it seems the lesser evil. I am glad it is Micro$oft that will be the Herald of the Console Apocalypse, shaping up to be quite a show for the end times, and there is none more deserving of the title.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Except for the latest generation of consoles, I was to young to have been following the press releases and stuff like E3.

But I remember getting the original Xbox for Christmas one year with like two games. This is the amazing part though. Later that year I went to a police conference with my parents and ended winning another original Xbox and a bunch of games (including Halo: Combat Evolved and Brute Force)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I was excited for my PS1 and PS2. After that not so much. But then that could be because i was young and the PS1 changed gaming with 3d graphics, and PS2 was just better. Apart from an upgrade in graphics, none of the consoles released now offer that kind of new experience.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I don't think I've been truly excited for a console since the N64. I was happy to acquire consoles that came after that, sure... but I wasn't excited for them.
This is how I feel. I get so tired of people being all "New console, SO EXCITING LOL, Y AREN'T YOU EXCITED?!?" I'm not excited for what I currently have to become obsolete, and none of the new things really get me going. Sure the PS2 had some great games. Yeah, the 360/PS3 have some cool graphics. But since the N64, none of the consoles have really got me excited for them coming out. I just don't feel like forking over even more money just to continue gaming. It's probably an age thing.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Altorin said:
CriesFirstToWin said:
Think you've hit upon it there, I scrimped for my SNES so rewarding.
If you're a certain Age, I think the SNES wins this contest hands down.. myself included, personal anecdote about Sega Saturn notwithstanding.
I was at that age and the Snes didn't interest me in the slightest. Here in Europe, the console wasn't significantly more powerful than the megadrive, and nobody cared for the console simply because you couldn't play Sonic the Hedgehog on it (Sonic was WAY more popular in the UK back in the 90's than Mario ever was). Goes without saying the Snes wasn't a resounding success or anything over here.