So, what did you end up buying in the Steam Sale? And, how much did you spend?

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
Topic title is descriptive!

Here are the games I wound up with:

Orange Box (14.99)
Left 4 Dead 2 (4.99)
Plants VS Zombies (3.00 ... I think. Probably never gonna play it, heh).
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (6.80, which I am now too scared to play...)

So! Big waste of money on my end. How did YOU do?

Also: People are dying in third world countries, and here I am spending money on games. Games I will likely not play to their full potential. And posting about it in an internet forum.

DISCUSS.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Civilization V (LOVE!) ($30), Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (LIKE!) ($10) and Torchlight (LIKE!) ($5).

That's it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Chibz said:
Nothing. Steam is all garbage in that it's a massive scam. Any price for a leased game is too much. Except if they priced it down to $0.01 / game...
I don't get how people can say it's leased. You can back the files up to a disk that doesn't need Steam to run, I'm fairly sure. And even if it does need Steam, you've still got a physical copy that works on any computer. Probably on any account.

I'm gonna go test this out now.

Super Six One

Apr 23, 2009
Company of Heroes £1.69
C&C Tiberium Wars £3.98

edit: i barely ever play games on pc but this was just too good to pass up, and i'm not dissapointed

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I spent more than I expected to.
Just Cause 2 (7.50)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (6.80)
Dead Space (6.80)
3 copies of PB Winterbottom I gifted to a few friends (.49 each)

Before gifting some copies of PB Winterbottom one of my friends gifted me it.
And yesterday evening one of the friends I gifted the game to gifted me Tropico 3 and Arkham Asylum GOTY(I tried to tell him he didn't need to, but he did anyway)

I will play them all eventually, I just really didn't intend on spending as much as I did.

drizztmainsword

Apr 15, 2009
Chibz said:
Nothing. Steam is all garbage in that it's a massive scam. Any price for a leased game is too much. Except if they priced it down to $0.01 / game...
I would tend to agree with you, but it's Valve. Valve is like Google to me; they may have a little too much control, but I'm okay with it.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Chibz said:
I don't get how people can say it's leased. You can back the files up to a disk that doesn't need Steam to run, I'm fairly sure. And even if it does need Steam, you've still got a physical copy that works on any computer. Probably on any account.

I'm gonna go test this out now.
Because it's PC gaming. Pretty much all PC games are leased to you. You buy permission to play the game, not your physical copy. This problem also applies to your physical copies. PC gamers just get rammed in every orifice.

The only PC games I'll EVER buy are abandonware. Simply becaus the EULA has absolutely zero legal weight anymore.

drizztmainsword said:
Chibz said:
I would tend to agree with you, but it's Valve. Valve is like Google to me; they may have a little too much control, but I'm okay with it.
Personally, I'd rather have nobody have that much control over my vidja games. I'd much rather have the legal rights & benefits of actual ownership over being leased my own product.

No other industry can get away with such shenanigans. Why can the computer industry?

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
The Witcher for my brother. Nothing for me, Steam is heavy DRM and the deals have to be really good before I buy from them. There wasn't really that many good games this round.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I ended up getting...

Plants vs Zombies: GOTY Edition - £2.80
Team Fortress 2 - £6.99 (Or some price similar).
and I bought my friend, Melissa, G-mod for £3.

Desenova

Mar 22, 2010
Chibz said:
Just about everything you buy is leased to some extent. Get over it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I overdid it a little bit...

Aliens vs Predator
Alpha Protocol
ARMA II
Bioshock
Blood Bowl
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
C&C: Tiberium Wars
C&C: Red Alert 3
Crysis
Dead Space
Dragon Age: Origins
Hitman Trilogy
Half Life 2
Indigo Prophecy
Jericho
Just Cause 2
Left 4 Dead
Metro 2033
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Quake
Quake 2
Velvet Assassin
Zeno Clash

115 quid all in.

I have a lot of catching up to do.

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
Scobie said:
Nothing. I was severely tempted a couple of times, but I've made a resolution not to buy any more games that I don't really, really want. I have more games than I can possibly play as it is. It might not sound like much but believe me, this level of self-control is a milestone for me.
Go you, friend! That kind of resolve is important. As a reward, you get a cookie.

But no regular cookie. This cookie has SURPASSED THE PHYSICAL REALM.

OoooOOooOOOooohh.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
AI War: Fleet Command,
Amnesia
Bully:SE
CivCity: Rome
Darksiders
Dawn of Discovery Gold
Deathspank
Divinity 2
Greed Corp
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Overlord 2
Shattered Union
Super Meat Boy

Total moneys: ~$100. It was a good haul.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
Bought: (and abused crossregional gifting to save even more money)
All 4 borderlands DLC, normally I would not get them for that price even at 50% off but my buddies made me. (3x 4dollar > ~10 euro + 8euro for the one i forgot)
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (.39 euro)
Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery gold (15dollar > 11 euro)
Mafia 2 (5GPB > 6euro)
Divinity 2: The dragon Knight saga (20dollar > ~15 euro's)
Battlefield: Bad company 2

Recieved from friends/random giveaways on SA:
The Witcher
Darksiders: Wrath of War
Bad Rats
Cricket Revolution
vvvvvv
Super Meat Boy
Serious sam HD: the First encounter.
Reccetear: An item shop's tale.
Bob came in pieces
Battlefield: Bad company 2: Vietnam