So what do we call actual homophobia?

GhostHunter

Jan 24, 2015
Dynast Brass said:
GhostHunter said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
GhostHunter said:
k, I'm gonna steal that. i have an actual phobia, and its rather annoying when people misuse terms they don't understand.
Just so we're clear, you are aware you're talking about a term which was coined by a psychiatrist, right? And that the people who misuse this term they don't understand are using it inline with said coining?
Didn't realize the Romans and the Greeks had psychiatrists.
As has already been explained in this thread, these are not Greek or Latin words. They are modern words made using Greek and Latin, but if you want to play games and pretend that Etymology = Definition it STILL doesn't work.

Again, "Homo Phobia" would mean "Fear of Sameness" or Fear of things which are the same. Homoerotophobia could be a word (but isn't), but interestingly the Greeks and Romans (no strangers to homosexuality and backlash to it) had no such words.

Nice try though!
Except in this case we shortening homosexual to just homo so... yeah. how is etymology playing games exactly? is it because you don't understand what that means so you think it doesn't exist? Also Greeks and Romans didn't have computers either, doesn't mean their naming conventions (which are literally written in stone) can't be used. Also see

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/binomial%20nomenclature

And what did i try exactly? I stated i had a better term to use in conversations so i'd call that a win not a try.

GhostHunter

Jan 24, 2015
Dynast Brass said:
So you don't understand the term you are debating then? or do you think people have never shortened a word in a combination word?

also it not your thread you cant tell me to go.....

GhostHunter

Jan 24, 2015
Dynast Brass said:
Add that to the list of things you think you understand, but don't. I wasn't telling you to go.
so you don't understand the term then, ok well i don't know why you quoted me if you just wanted to rant about that but ok.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GhostHunter said:
Didn't realize the Romans and the Greeks had psychiatrists. Or do you mean when some one in modern day "coined" it without understanding its etymology? also i stick with denotations not connotations, terrific is an example of why that's a bad idea.
That was a long way to go to misrepresent both what I said and the coining of the term. The guy who coined it and its later use appear to be perfectly inline with the use of these terms and conventions within English. That you had to invoke Rome or Greece should have been a red flag.

A good point rule of thumb is that if you have to game the dictionary to argue a point, it's not worth arguing.

Nicodemus said:
Now I'm just a simple country Hyperchicken Buhgawk!!!
Oh,, Futurama....

Also, points for demonstrating the problem with the "half of people are stupid" thing.

Nimzabaat said:
"the people who misuse this term they don't understand are using it inline with said coining out of ignorance?"

There, fixed.
Well, no. You haven't fixed it. You've just once again misrepresented the guy who coined the term, the one you quoted while selectively ignoring. The use you're railing against is inline with his use of it and use in later APA materials.

What you're doing is the equivalent of me posting the first amendment of the US Constitution and saying that the Founding Father clearly agreed with me that the right of free assembly was to be controlled by Congress.

You didn't fix it. Yo just made a different mess. Or, rather, the same one you keep making.

GhostHunter

Jan 24, 2015
Zachary Amaranth said:
GhostHunter said:
Didn't realize the Romans and the Greeks had psychiatrists. Or do you mean when some one in modern day "coined" it without understanding its etymology? also i stick with denotations not connotations, terrific is an example of why that's a bad idea.
That was a long way to go to misrepresent both what I said and the coining of the term. The guy who coined it and its later use appear to be perfectly inline with the use of these terms and conventions within English. That you had to invoke Rome or Greece should have been a red flag.

A good point rule of thumb is that if you have to game the dictionary to argue a point, it's not worth arguing.
How did i missed misrepresent anyone? If the term is based on Greek words it doesn't fall in line with English conventions perfectly. Most English words don't fall inline with English conventions. How does one game a dictionary? It a book of definitions that its; there's nothing to exploit. You quoted me some you are the one trying argue...something i guess.

GhostHunter

Jan 24, 2015
Dynast Brass said:
GhostHunter said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
GhostHunter said:

How did i missed misrepresent anyone? If the term is based on Greek words it doesn't fall in line with English conventions perfectly.
Nonsense. All English is based on other languages, it's still English. The clue? It's not written in Greek.

For example: "α είναι καλύτερος άνθρωπος από τον πατέρα του" is Greek. It's written in the Greek alphabet, which is not the English alphabet.

Transliterated that is, "Na einai kalitero anthropo apo ton patera tou." which is a sort of quote of a quote, but that doesn't matter. It means, (sort of) "Let him be a better man than his father."

άνθρωπος (prounounced "Anthropo" in English) means "Man" in Greek. Anthropomorphic however, does not mean "Man-Shaped", it means "Having human characteristics" male, female, or neither. It has broader meanings, because it is not two Greek words shoved together, but one English word with Greek ETYMOLOGY. If you tried to pretend otherwise, you'd break the language except in your one special little case.

Stop confusing your approach to this conversation with actual linguistic norms.
If you are going to ignore the words in my post please don't quote me, it waste my time and your time, also pisses off the server(not actually).

What your are referring to is a font or letter system. Lookup Japanese romaji and roman letters, seriously you don't even know what English is.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
The Almighty Aardvark said:
thaluikhain said:
Oh, stick "hydrophobic" on that list. As in "Germans are spraying the outsides of their buildings with hydrophobic coatings, so people urinating on them get splashed". Apparently that's a thing.
Someone is going to use this on urinals, it is only a matter of time
They already have, have you ever seen one of those waterless urinals? They are made of a hydrophobic plastic that repels water so they don't need to be flushed.

GhostHunter

Jan 24, 2015
Dynast Brass said:
GhostHunter said:
Dynast Brass said:
GhostHunter said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
GhostHunter said:

How did i missed misrepresent anyone? If the term is based on Greek words it doesn't fall in line with English conventions perfectly.
Nonsense. All English is based on other languages, it's still English. The clue? It's not written in Greek.

For example: "α είναι καλύτερος άνθρωπος από τον πατέρα του" is Greek. It's written in the Greek alphabet, which is not the English alphabet.

Transliterated that is, "Na einai kalitero anthropo apo ton patera tou." which is a sort of quote of a quote, but that doesn't matter. It means, (sort of) "Let him be a better man than his father."

άνθρωπος (prounounced "Anthropo" in English) means "Man" in Greek. Anthropomorphic however, does not mean "Man-Shaped", it means "Having human characteristics" male, female, or neither. It has broader meanings, because it is not two Greek words shoved together, but one English word with Greek ETYMOLOGY. If you tried to pretend otherwise, you'd break the language except in your one special little case.

Stop confusing your approach to this conversation with actual linguistic norms.
SNIP please don't quote me, it waste my time and your time, also pisses off the server(not actually)...
...seriously you don't even know what English is.
OK, I'm paying attention now, and I'll admit it's paying off in unexpected ways. Still, you've avoided saying anything that isn't an insult, or just hilariously wrong.

You don't understand the difference between transliterated language, and fonts, and writing systems? For instance, you're confusing a phonetic style of transliteration with what I'm talking about, and then confusing that with your own arguments.

Is this all an elaborate joke?
*inset facepalm .gif*

not only are you continuing to ignore what i write, you are now straight up putting context, meaning, or whatever your are doing that is not there.

itadakimasu is still Japanese (romaji) even though you would call it English.
Zeus is still a Greek word even though Greek lettering is not used. (transliterated)
this sentence you are reading is English.
esta frase que está leyendo es español. (same thing only Spanish is in place of English) still not English though. (not transliterated)
Latina sententia legis. (again only latin this time) still not english

this seems to be a problem for you. the type a word appears in doesn't indicate its origin, meaning, or language. When you transliterate a word it still belongs to the original language its just an appearance change. In pictorial languages there is a change because we use phonetic language now. Whether or not you transliterate or just straight translate is up to you and your audience.

MisterLiver

Jul 9, 2015
If we're going by strict root words, homophobia would be the fear of the same, and homosexual would be homophilia, so that quote is dumb to begin with.
If you're legitimately scared of gay people...I don't know, that would probably be homosexual-phobia, or, if you want to stick to Greek, homophiliaphobia.

I don't know where the need to label it comes from either way.