So what do you use to clean out the dirt under your fingernails?

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
While sitting around having a coffee and trying to study, I used the tip of my pen to get the junk out behind my fingernails. Then my pen died. Nails are nice and shiny though. So what do you guys use besides a proper nail cleaner clipping thing?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I actually don't use a tool for any nail grooming. I actually just use another nail for the task. When it comes to clipping, I just use my thumbnails. My toenails are the same story but I wait until right after a shower.

My fiancee is horrified by this.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
My method is incredibly effective if somewhat unorthodox.

I have terribly thick hair that I keep cut short (never more than 2 inches in length). So when I wash my hair with shampoo and get my nails stuck in to my scalp my hair cleans my nails for me.

Since I wash my hair daily I don't actually need to clean my nails.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
My pocket knife.

I use it for both cleaning and trimming. Tip for cleaning and the serrated section of the blade for trimming. It actually works really well.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
One more for the "clean nails, using nails" group. Though I generally don't get a lot of dirt under there anyway.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Either my other nail or that hook like shape thing on the file attach to the nail clipper.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Besides the traditional, ever-so-useful nail cleaner clipping thing, I sometimes use these:

They're sterile and pointy!

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
Clipping them until there is nothing for dirt to get trapped under, and then washing my hands/feet.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Revnak said:
I solve this by always having my nails ridiculously short. No nails, no dirt.
Yep, me too, use dirt under them as a signal I have left too long between clippings.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I use a sewing needle... >.>

Though I tend to keep them pretty short anyway, but sometimes I'll forget to bite them down for a week or two. (I can't be arsed with trimmers for my hands, when my teeth are so readily available.)

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
VeryOddGamer said:
I normally don't have any, but if I have a little of it, I use my teeth.
...there goes my appetite.

I'm also one who uses their own nails, except about half of the dirt gets trapped behind that nail, so you keep swapping nails till it's all gone.

Well that's something I never thought I would share.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Odd thread, this.

I use the bit on my nail clippers that is designed specifically for the purpose of cleaning nails. As one would epxpect, it excels at its role.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
More often than not....I use my pocket knife. It's not overly sharp so I'm not worried about doing damage and it works quite well.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
I use a toothpick. None of my nails get long enough to clean the others, and toothpicks are just the right size.

If I can't find a toothpick, though, a guitar pick takes its place.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
If you take a shower and wash your hair you don't have to clean your nails.... Washing your hair does it for you. The hair acts as a nail brush and so I have never once cleaned my nails outside of taking a shower