So whatcha playing Escapists?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Hey guys I thought Id make a topic actually about videogames for the gaming discussion board for a change of pace from.... recent debates. Blergh.

So what are you guys playing right now? My mates got me into Payday 2 which is to be honest a bloody slow game to start with but becomes really fun when you get a decent amount of levels. Its about robbing banks and you can either do it stealthily or just go murder town on the local swat who come in wave after wave at you until you can achieve whatever objective your current heist entails. Ive basically built a fast tank by combining the enforcer tree for the best armour with the ghost tree for speed buffs to counter the slowness of armour and just run around quickscoping everything with a shotgun and a magnum. Fun times.

Ive also been playing a lot of Invisible Inc, early acess game thats basically Xcom with just stealth. You play as a spy trying to steal money and companny secrets. The guards and cameras have visibility cones that you have to do everything you can to avoid whilst you try to steal intel. Its got a fun hacking system although the difficulty curve is like running straight into a brick wall. Ive mainly just been failing hard at the moment. Its roguelike in that when you die your progress is wiped but you can unlock a few new characters to make the next go a little easier.

So what are you playing right now?

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Gunpoint, a nice little indy title that was highly recommended. It's fun so far.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ratchet & Clank Collection for the PS3 when I'm alone (started the first game some days ago), co-op Resident Evil 5 when I'm with my girlfriend. We know it by heart now so we're just farming chapters and going for the all guns/all upgrades/Professional/S-Rank trophies. We also started Dead Space last night but she's terrified of touching the controller so it's just solo play with a backseat gamer ("Pick up the shiny thing! The shiny thing!").

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Clannad (With voices, yay) and Borderlands 2 (I finally decided it was time to finish the Xpacs and the head hunts)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Welp, earlier today I did a livestream of Ride to Hell: Retribution with some of my friends...we're all regretting it fully, and I still have a headache due to how bad the game is... >.<

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Neronium said:
Welp, earlier today I did a livestream of Ride to Hell: Retribution with some of my friends...we're all regretting it fully, and I still have a headache due to how bad the game is... >.<
Awww man. Thats harsh. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids and consult your doctor.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Neronium said:
Hahahaha! I feel sorry for you. I believe the only good thing about that game was Zero Punctuation's review of it

TheYellowManalishi

Jul 16, 2013
Finally got around to playing Metro 2033 after I got it in the steam sale... I must say it's probably the best game I've played this year, Finished my regular run in 3 days, now it's on to ranger mode...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Jason Rayes said:
Hahahaha! I feel sorry for you. I believe the only good thing about that game was Zero Punctuation's review of it
Fieldy409 said:
Awww man. Thats harsh. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids and consult your doctor.
What's worse is, it went for 5 hours until we were all just broken. The game truly is one of the worst games I've ever played, and I did an LP of god damn Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis earlier in the summer, and that thing was terrible as well. T^T

The checkpointing is terrible, the "sex" scenes are awkward and creepy, the controls are stiff, the game won't load half the stuff at times, and I feel through the floor and to my death! Avoid the game like the plague. I'd recommend Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 100% completion before even attempting this game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Frission said:
Gunpoint, a nice little indy title that was highly recommended. It's fun so far.
Good man!

OT: I just recently installed Dark Souls II and The Wolf Among Us, and I've started them both but I'm not particularly far in either yet (almost done the first episode of TWAU, I believe, and I have yet to fight any bosses in DSII).

I am enjoying my time with both of them, however. I figured I'd love The Wolf Among Us anyway, since I liked The Walking Dead Season 1 despite not being a fan of zombies or post-apocalyptic settings, and the Fables setting seemed infinitely more interesting to me. As for Dark Souls II, I have some reservations about the changes they've made to the core mechanics to being closer to Demon's Souls again, but it still has the classic amazing world design that I loved out of Dark Souls, so I'm happy so far.

bbchain

May 6, 2013
Recently I decided to try a game from a good few years ago called Outland. I don't know if it's a lack of marketing or what but I'm honestly shocked that nobody seems to remember or talk about it, at least on a cursory look. This is turning out to be one of the best 2d side-scrollers i've ever played. The visuals and ambient soundtrack are gorgeous and the gameplay is smooth as butter, not to mention fairly challenging.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Alternating between Star Trek Online and XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within. I only started playing STO a few months ago, but I'm having lots of fun with it thus far. I recently hit the level cap and joined a fleet (STO's version of guilds), and I'm just starting to explore the endgame content.

As for XCOM, I snatched it about a week ago during a Steam sale. I had already played the Xbox 360 version, but the control scheme to a game like this works much better for the PC. Right now I'm taking it slow to savor the experience, typically only one or two missions per session. My goal is to play once through the base game, once with the Enemy Within expansion, and top it all off with a playthrough using the OpenXcom [http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88] that includes lots of fixes and features, including full optimization for modern operating systems and mod support (you still need to own a legal copy of the game for it to run).

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Currently, without access to Steam for the next few days, i'm playing Sonic Heroes on the GameCube mostly, along with starting the original Metroid Prime.

Sep 9, 2007
I recently picked up Tales of Xillia 2, so I've made a start on that and I'm also playing one of the games I backed on Kickstarter, Timber and Stone.

ToX2 is... interesting, to say the least. A lot of reused assets from the first game (Not that I mind that much, it makes navigating towns easier and I quite liked the music) and it feels a bit more grind heavy than the first one, but the combat is still enjoyable and the character side quests is a nice addition, I think.

Timber and Stone is a city-builder in a similar vain to Gnomoria, or Towns (except it actually updates). I'm working on ideas for a city build for the next patch now that it has been announced while continuing to work on my current building project.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
The Eupho Guy said:
I recently picked up Tales of Xillia 2, so I've made a start on that and I'm also playing one of the games I backed on Kickstarter, Timber and Stone.
What's your impression so far

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Planescape: Torment and Gothic 2: Night of the Raven. I'm also playing Wizardry 8 as well, but that's currently on hold. Torment and Wizardry 8 are first time plays for me, having never played them before and I'm enjoying both pretty well, though so far I'm not seeing Planescape: Torment to be nearly as good as other people would have you believe. As for Gothic 2, it's one of my favourite games but I only played the expansion once in the past so it's still a little fresh to me. Gotta be honest though, I prefer the original game without the expansion.

Sep 9, 2007
Jason Rayes said:
The Eupho Guy said:
What's your impression so far
(You didn't mention which game, so I'll talk a little about both)

By and large, I'm enjoying Tales of Xillia 2 so far. As I said in my first post, it feels a bit more grind heavy overall and there are a number of assets that have been reused (Mainly level design and music), which aren't really a deal breaker for me, but could be a hassle for others. On a more positive note, the combat is as good as ever and the new character is quite versatile, being able to switch between three different weapon classes on the fly (Dual blades, dual pistols and a sledgehammer). The story is broken up into discrete chapters now, with periods between each chapter in which you can take on a character's side quest or do some jobs (fetch quests and kill x monsters) or just faff about in the areas you have unlocked. So all in all, apart from a few small quibbles, its an improvement on what I considered to be a pretty good game, which is all I can really ask for.

Timber and Stone was a game that took a lot of getting used to. I didn't really like it that much to start with, it has a very steep learning curve and can be quite unforgiving if you make a mistake or you aren't watching your resources. But if you can get a decent settlement going, it can be quite a rewarding game. I'm 70-80 hours into my current map, and its starting to take shape, but there's a long way to go...

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've been spending most of my time playing Dragon Age 2 and Metro: Redux.

Dragon Age 2 is much better than I remember it. Story may still be a little weak, but the gameplay is much better. Looks like the internet pessimism distorted my view. Mark of the Assassin was also a genius DLC.

Metro: Redux is pretty awesome. The nice little changes really make the game more enjoyable. I love the backstabs and spartan mode. 2033 always kinda pissed me off sometimes, but this makes the game really enjoyable.