So whatcha playing Escapists?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Jandau said:
Wrapped up with Total War: Rome 2, wasn't as bad as I expected, but still the worst game in the series. Too much cut out, not enough to replace it. Shame, especially since Shogun 2 was potentially the most competently made game in the series and overall one of the best.

Currently playing Shovel Knight, which is a brilliant little retro style platformer. Seriously, if this came out during the NES/SNES era (graphics are roughly on that level), it would be a legendary game. Highly recommended.

Also playing Halfway, which I'd describe as Event Horizon (the film) meets XCOM lite in a pixel art visual style. It's a cool little game, some nice ideas, simple straightforward tactical combat. Feels like something you'd find on a GBA. Again, worth a look.

Hearthstone every couple of days. I clear my quest log when it piles up, do an arena run when enough money accrues and otherwise play whatever deck I'm enjoying at the moment. Currently, it's a Shaman Deathrattle deck. It's a nice setup, though lacks enough legendaries to make it competitive. However, when it clicks and combos, it causes ragequits. Stalagg + Feugen + Rivendare + 2 X Reincarnate (HS players know what I mean) is not something you want to face most of the time (unless you are a priest, in which case screw you).

I've got Divinity: Original Sin sitting on my PC, collecting virtual dust. I should be loving the game since isometric RPGs are pretty much my favourite genre (Baldur's Gate 2 is IMO the best game ever made). But somehow the game just doesn't click for me. I can's even bear to play through the first town, and I'm not quite sure why. It's actually kinda creeping me out - it's like being a straight boob-loving male and suddenly there's this gorgeous girl that simply doesn't do it for you and you can't figure out why...

Other than that, I've started downloading Final Fantasy 14, having set up my trial account. I'm in an MMO mood and FF14 is at the top of the list, but I want to see what the servers are like. It appears that there aren't any European servers (as in physically present in Europe), so I want to check what the latency is like playing on the US servers (well, they're located in Canada to be precise) before I commit to the game.

I'm the same way with Divinity. I've got it and haven't got through the first town yet. It should be a massively fun throwback to old school RPGs for me but... It just doesn't do it for me. Yet nothing seems to be wrong with it, it's just unengaging.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
Defiance... Makes no sense what so ever. At one point I was fighting some elf Nazi's, and then they told me to fight some Evil miner robots for a unrelated reason.

Ace of Combat Infinity- Who ever came out with free to wait needs to be blacklisted... You get to play three times a DAY. I am downright about to not buy games anymore because every single player company like Rockstar, and Bamco has been getting more greedy by the minuted. I guess I was just use emulators if gets bad enough.

I am also playing GTA5, and I still am waiting for Heists to come out.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Mega Man X3 on the WiiU. Oh god! My thumbs! They hurt! >.< and this asshole Bit is kicking my ass!

and off on the side this neat little Lost Planet spin off called EX Troopers. If the series had been like this after the first game maybe people who have taken more interest in it.

As it stands I'm having a good time...when I can figure out where to go. The whole game is in Japanese...I didn't think there would be so much talking and menu navigating involved! >.<

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - it's not awful, but it's also not wonderful. I feel like they got the spectacle right, but the design and gameplay is off seriously sometimes.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Fieldy409 said:
I'm the same way with Divinity. I've got it and haven't got through the first town yet. It should be a massively fun throwback to old school RPGs for me but... It just doesn't do it for me. Yet nothing seems to be wrong with it, it's just unengaging.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the problem. The game has been receiving near universal praise, and I'm glad it has. But I can't for the life of me get into it. I like all the individual pieces - the visuals, the sense of humour, the tactical combat, the elemental interactions, the hefty stat&leveling system, etc. But when they are all put together it just elicits a massive "Meh" from me. I don't hate it, I just can't seem to want to play it. It's bizzare in a way...

TheYellowManalishi

Jul 16, 2013
Ancient Mariner said:
TheYellowManalishi said:
Finally got around to playing Metro 2033 after I got it in the steam sale... I must say it's probably the best game I've played this year, Finished my regular run in 3 days, now it's on to ranger mode...
Metro 2033 is a thoroughly well made game. After trying it out about a year ago it quickly became one of my favourite games. The atmosphere and immersive gameplay mechanics really elevate the game from being another stock shooter. Do you plan on playing Metro: Last Light? The stealth in the game has been watered down a bit (unfortunately) but it still serves as a more than adequate sequel to 2033 and at the end of the day more Metro is always a good thing.
Most Definitely, if it's even half as good as 2033 I'll probably love it, though I'll probably wait until I build my desktop and get the redux, My laptop can barely run 2033, so I shudder to think what Last Light would be like on it.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Gergar12 said:
Defiance... Makes no sense what so ever. At one point I was fighting some elf Nazi's, and then they told me to fight some Evil miner robots for a unrelated reason. .
Is defiance worth my time? I've become quite the fan of the tv show, I have only heard bad things about the game but it's free to play now so I've been thinking about it....

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
GTA5 online but nearly enough.
The last sp games are months away.
Batman Arkham Origins - My second favorite Arkham game after asylum.
Sly Cooper tit - got it for free over psn plus and really liked it. To me it's the best jump'n'run franchise of the last gen / started with the hd remaster. Love the Ocean's 11/12/13 vibe.
Call of Juarez gunslinger- Techland back on track. Nice arcade shooting western game with a fun presentation. Duells can be really anoying but also very rewarding when finally pulled off right. The duell presentation is also pretty tension high.
Hotline Miami - i was late to the party but ohh boy what a ride and what a killing soundtrack. Now i'm looking forward to play "wrong number".

Thank you for this thread.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Call of Cthuhlu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but now the game suddenly taken a turn and became shooter focused. I hope it doesn't get much worse

Otherwise I've been playing a multiplayer game of Europa Universalis 4. My glorious Poland is nice and big and my friends and I put aside our differences and tore France a new one

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
TheYellowManalishi said:
Ancient Mariner said:
TheYellowManalishi said:
Finally got around to playing Metro 2033 after I got it in the steam sale... I must say it's probably the best game I've played this year, Finished my regular run in 3 days, now it's on to ranger mode...
Metro 2033 is a thoroughly well made game. After trying it out about a year ago it quickly became one of my favourite games. The atmosphere and immersive gameplay mechanics really elevate the game from being another stock shooter. Do you plan on playing Metro: Last Light? The stealth in the game has been watered down a bit (unfortunately) but it still serves as a more than adequate sequel to 2033 and at the end of the day more Metro is always a good thing.
Most Definitely, if it's even half as good as 2033 I'll probably love it, though I'll probably wait until I build my desktop and get the redux, My laptop can barely run 2033, so I shudder to think what Last Light would be like on it.
Can join this Metro 2033 circle jerk? I love those games so much. My laptop also has trouble with 2033, though it does run better than other games. I can't wait to build my computer and play the Redux versions

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Professor Laytn vs. Phoenix Wright

It's kinda like someone tried to recreate the peanut butter cup, only instead of chocolate and peanut butter, he tried to start with chocolate and cheddar cheese. Two things good on their own, but... they don't really go together.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm currently playing Payday 2 again, and loving it once again. I stopped playing it back when the game first came out, because it did terrible, terrible things to my computer through Steam. But since I upgraded my pc, it's fun times again!

I've also been cycling through playing Planetside 2, which was hella fun, but starting to wane on my interest.

Also played Firefall for about 2 weeks, but that too became somewhat tedious.

Also been playing FTL, which is fun, but I have to take it in chunks over time.

And Civ 5.

Oh, and Diablo 3 again too.

Yeah, that pretty much covers my current game cycle

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The Old Alone in The Dark games because nostalgia, Dark Souls because I hate myself, and Skullgirls because it's, like, the only fighting game I'm good at.

Nothing new.