So...who's played Dust: Elysian Tail?

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
SweetShark said:
Fidget RULE!!!!!!!!
Sorry.....
Yeah, I finished the game as well and I EXTREMELY enjoy it. 10/10 score for me!!!
I wish I could find the first animation base for the game and watched.....

-snip-

DOes anyone know where I can find it? Pleeeaaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
Are you referring to the film "An Elysian Tail" that Dodrill started work on almost 15 years ago? Yeah, he never finished it. Or at least, he hasn't yet.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I played it and liked it though never finished the game. However I am not a furry. This thread has got me worried. AM I A CLOSET FURRY? Oh shit I like the old Sonic games too. I am so screwed.

Good fighting, fun abilities, I will have to beat it some day.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I beat it a while ago.
It was pretty good.
It's really impressive considering it was made entirely by one person.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I have played it. I got killed be some big enemy at some point while in a cave because did not react fast enough. After that is just stopped playing. It currently on my list of game that I will give another chance at some unknown point in the future. I also said that about bioshock and it has been over 2 years since I played bioshock.

I am working on improving an already good mod I made for fallout new vegas, and playing a mixture of shadowrun returns and Never Winter Nights 2.

Demonchaser27

Mar 20, 2014
I've played it. Its not the greatest Metroidvania style game I've ever played, but its very impressive that one guy almost made the entire game by himself. Its got a lot of charm to it too. I'd say the game is definitely worth a playthrough.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Saw a trailer, the combat looked fun, the art looked great, but the voice acting.... probably some of the worst I've ever heard. I ended up not picking it up. I've also heard that the combat gets somewhat repetitive but it still looked fun. I'd never had voice acting completely turn me off of a game until this one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Candidus said:
Looks a little like an Odin's Sphere / Dragon's Crown side-scroller?! I would have been first in line and paying any price!!

But unfortunately, furries.

So no I haven't played it.
I don't get the 'But unfortunately, furries' thing.

So, your worried your going to want to fuck one of the characters in the game or are you worried your be made fun of or what?

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Vegosiux said:
Treeinthewoods said:
Aside from quote mining the first paragraph I am not really sure what you are driving at here. Did I imply that something being for kids or furries is a bad thing or somehow indicate my disapproval? I personally didn't like the game on any level, I am not sure what C.S. Lewis has to do with any of that. There are plenty of other things (movies, books, other games) that are kid friendly and enjoyed by me.

If you are implying I am childish for not digging the game, all I can really say is that the flip side of the coin is that I don't have to pretend to enjoy things designed specifically for kids just to appear more "adult." I prefer Saints Row or Gears of War to Dust and that doesn't make me some kind of overgrown kid trying to be grown up, it's a taste thing pure and simple.
The issue I'm taking with what you said is, mostly, that from the context of your post it came across as if you used "furries" as a label for deviant behavior, behavior not befitting an adult person.

I might have misunderstood that or read too much into it. If that's the case, apologies.
Oh no, I did mention in the post you quoted that furries are mostly people who just dig anthropomorphic animals and not simply a bunch of fur perverts.

I have no problem with furries, I'm just not one myself. I felt like the character designs of Dust would have strong appeal to that demographic I am not a part of, that's all I meant.

It's cool though, thanks for clarifying.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Kotaro said:
SweetShark said:
Fidget RULE!!!!!!!!
Sorry.....
Yeah, I finished the game as well and I EXTREMELY enjoy it. 10/10 score for me!!!
I wish I could find the first animation base for the game and watched.....

-snip-

DOes anyone know where I can find it? Pleeeaaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
Are you referring to the film "An Elysian Tail" that Dodrill started work on almost 15 years ago? Yeah, he never finished it. Or at least, he hasn't yet.
Aaaaaa... :(
Yes, this one. I thought he finished it, but his project was too old [before Youtube],which of course it get lost inside the deep sea of Internet...

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
It's a nice game that lacks a certain something to make it great. It's just too easy and unfulfilling to lable it as such. And also that flying Fennec that follows you can be really annoying at times. But never the less a really fun romp.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Worgen said:
Candidus said:
Looks a little like an Odin's Sphere / Dragon's Crown side-scroller?! I would have been first in line and paying any price!!

But unfortunately, furries.

So no I haven't played it.
I don't get the 'But unfortunately, furries' thing.

So, your worried your going to want to fuck one of the characters in the game or are you worried your be made fun of or what?
It's just a matter of taste. Some of us don't like the furry artstyle.

But I'm still happy that a 2D game is getting recognition. We need more of them in this day and age.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I heard it was good and was considering getting it... and then I decided against it as soon as I saw that the main character was a furry.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
It was okay I played it a few hours kinda easy to get huge 1k+ combos just using the little spin move. Voice acting was terrible. I think I accidentally died and didn't feel like playing the last few moments again so just never picked it up.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
If nothing else, Dust is an indictment of the state of indie games. The indie scene is plagued with games that have the same bare-bones pixel-art style because they're either made by, or designed to pander to, hipsters who have gotten it into their heads that the last good games were made in the early '90s, so anything that looks more modern than that must be shit. Mr. Dodrill has no truck with such attitudes and set out to make a game that actually looked and sounded like it belonged on a current-generation system, to the point where it actually ran into the 360's memory limitations and had to be pared down slightly.

And he didn't even set out to do that, necessarily; he just wanted to make a simple game that looked like his cartoons. He didn't even know anything about designing or programming games, either. And he still managed to make something that has excellent production values and is as long as most mainstream games.

Treeinthewoods said:
Anthropomorphic animals are good for kids (since kids like animals) and adults who are into anthropomorphic animals (furries).

Dust wasn't much of a kids game, therefore it was designed for older people who would enjoy the character design. You know, furries.
For real? I think it's a fine game for (older) kids, especially in an age where the mainstream games market is aimed almost exclusively at adults and teens whose parents don't give a fuck what their teenagers play, and the vast majority of what's left for younger players is mindless shovelware and casual mobile games. The story might be a bit ... heavy, I guess? ... but no moreso than Final Fantasy or the newer Zelda titles.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Fantastic game and perhaps among my favourite indie games. The visuals and music are beautiful, the combat (while repetitive) is satisfying and easy to pick up, controls well, and the story and characters were cute. It's easy for me to recommend, and everyone I know who picked it up said they enjoyed it as well. I lost it when I learned that most of the work was done by ONE guy over 4 years or so. You can see how much love went into the game. Well done, guy.

I do have some problems. The high difficulty settings are somewhat unbalanced early-on (though they do even out as you grind, and grinding isn't too much of a chore), but environmental hazards are usually enough to take off more than half your health. As mentioned repeatedly, the acting ranges from meh to grating. And I haven't heard it much on this post, but the combat is floaty as fuck. I love using the dust tornado in the air, but if there's an enemy higher than me, Dust goes ZOOM and goes miles above where the action is. I know this was worked into finding some secrets, but when I'm fighting and trying to keep up a combo, I don't want to be shot up and have to cancel my combo because I'm halfway to the stratosphere. The floatiness also becomes a bit of a liability when exploring a path (only to get sent somewhere you don't want to be or get lost) or flying into hazards.