So, why do people like the Uncharted games so much?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Uncharted is one of the most overrated series, especially by critics. How the hell the 1st Uncharted got 8s and 9s is just beyond me, it's just simply a bad game. The shooting mechanics are horrible, the pistol and assault rifle is no different from each other. The level design is atrocious. The puzzles are laughably simple while the game also gives you the fucking solutions to them in your damn journal, what's the point of even doing them? The game doesn't have any set-pieces unless you call those horrible jet ski sequences set-pieces. You can't even use grenades because developers were still forcing six-axis on you at that time. The controls have always sucked in Uncharted as well, the same button for cover and rolling just doesn't work. None of the Uncharted games (or The Last of Us) allows you to change the camera sensitivity, which is a huge no-no for a 3rd-person shooter. Uncharted also fails horribly at giving the player any kind of decent shoulder swap ability as well. The competitive multiplayer of Uncharted 2 and 3 is unplayable because of these control issues that were never fixed.

Uncharted 2, on the other hand, is pretty much as good as you can make an Uncharted game. Uncharted 2 fixes most of what Uncharted did poorly, the gun mechanics are much much better, along with the level design. The only thing Uncharted 2 lacks is a really good villain, he's just kinda there. The set-pieces are just awesome, the best of the series, probably some of the best of this gen.

Uncharted 3 is hugely disappointing, the game takes several steps back. The story is just horrible, they force this whole Sully is "too old for this shit" stuff down your throat the whole game while doing absolutely nothing with it. The best character in the series, Elena, gets almost no screen time because everyone whined that Sully wasn't in Uncharted 2 enough so all you get is Sully, more Sully, and even more Sully. The set-pieces make no sense within the game. All those boat and pirate levels literally make no sense story-wise. The pirate's plan to get Drake to tell them where the city is was so nonsensical and stupid. The melee combat is horrible because they try to incorporate Batman's system into the game and it's done extremely poorly. The first Uncharted actually had the best melee combat (for the series) oddly enough.

In conclusion, just play Uncharted 2.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
It's the set-pieces for me.
Yeah, they're scripted (sort of) but they're just so intense and so fun and so cool...
The way it seamlessly flows between in-game cutscene and gameplay and the fact that during something you think would be handled by a cutscene is a moment they throw you back into the action just makes it so cinematic, I absolutely love it.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
I read this very thread recently I swear ...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1h6mo8/why_are_the_uncharted_games_so_well_regarded/

Aha, i am not going insane.

As for the games they fill a niche in the PlayStation gaming market, there isn't really anything else like them, well there wasn't until tomb raider came out.

Jack Joe Tip Toe

Jul 19, 2010
I love the games for mostly the set pieces and characters. And the game never takes itself too seriously. But I do understand why not everyone likes it. Uncharted is the Hollywood movie Hollywood wishes it could make. And a lot of gamers don't like very Hollywood like games.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
It's Indiana Jones written by Joss Whedon! That's great! I love the characters, the plot is interesting enough to make me play a few times and the gameplay is fun. I wouldn't say it's the best game ever, far from it. It's like... Say you're a Sci-Fi buff. Not everything can be Blade Runner, right? Just because that's the best Sci-Fi movie ever, doesn't mean you can't love something simpler and dumber like Paycheck. Yes, I am aware that both of those are Philip K Dick adaptations. I am a fan.

-Axle-

Jun 30, 2011
The first major factor that will influence anyone's opinion about whether Uncharted games are any "good" is your definition of a video game. People have different thresholds and weightings for how much challenge, interaction, story, logic, mechanics, etc. needs to be in a video game, so you have to consider that when forming your opinion (or question).

I say this because I know that my definition is probably broader than most people (at least the ones you hear of on the internet). I enjoyed games like Heavy Rain, Dear Esther, etc., which many people dislike because they don't consider them "true" video games. By that same virtue, I can see how someone would not see what's so special about Uncharted, subject to their expectations of what ought to be in there.

Now on to my opinion of Uncharted. At its core, I liked it because it reminded me of Indiana Jones and I LOVED (still do) Indiana Jones. So much so, that I actually sat through the entirety of Kingdom of the Crystal skull....TWICE! I do not like "The Mummy" movies nor do I have much appreciation for the Tomb Raider series, so my interest is very specific. On top of all that, I loved the presentation, the graphical fidelity, the voices, the characters, etc.. All of it rang very near to my heart and I never felt like it was trying to be Indiana Jones, but pay homage to it. Kind of how Warcraft pays homage to Tolkien, but never feels like its trying to be the exact same thing.

Now before anyone tries to point out how Uncharted is so unoriginal, remember that Indiana Jones was a compilation of a whole bunch of B-movies of its time. In essence, if you use the same definition for "originality", Indiana Jones was never all that original to begin with and by the same vein of thought, neither would Tomb Raider.

At the end of the day, Uncharted was (to me) a wonderful cocktail that mixed the right things from a lot of different areas, polished them to an amazing level, and gave them all in an Indiana Jones wrapper. In terms of "challenge", I wouldn't classify Uncharted as something that scratches that itch too much. I wouldn't say its not challenging, but its not something on the level of Ninja Gaiden (the original Xbox game, that name probably doesn't mean much nowadays) or Demon's Souls, where you feel like you've learned a discipline just finishing the games.

FWIW, UC2 was my favourite, followed by the first, and UC3 was a distant third.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
5ilver said:
My explanation: lack of good games for the PS3.

Yeah, there are *some* games for PS3 but can you really compare the quantity & quality to PC? Or even PS2?
Yes. Yes, you can.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
In an age where everything went gritty, brown, series and sported uber macho protagonists it's very refreshing to play a shooter that's vibrant, colorful and had a character who is quiet vulnerable

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Because they are the best Indiana Jones games, obviously without the license and Lucas to fuck it up completely, as adventures they even put Tomb Raider to shame.

And if you aren't into Indiana Jones why are you playing...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Because they're fun? I'm just throwing this out here, though. It may not be true.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
They're fun for me because it has lots of good aesthetics, funny one liners, and great level design imo

The games are challenging and just pure fun for me

Yeah it is riddled with hollywood cliches but the execution makes it great

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I see that you use the 'unoriginal' argument a lot.

The thing is, I don't think that originality matters all that much. Uncharted mixed bits and pieces of different genres and ballanced them out fairly well. It doesn't, and shouldn't matter that the game is unoriginal, the important thing is that it works and that it's fun.

And uncharted is fun. It may not be the best game I've played, it's not even in my personal Top 20, but it's still an engaging, fun experience I like to go back to once in a while. Original or not and flawed as it may be, uncharted is an enjoyable game.

Aside from those near-invincible minibosses in Uncharted 2. Fuck those guys.

Also, calling a game a Gears of War clone because it has cover-based shooting makes just about as much sense as calling an FPS a Doom clone or an open-world game a GTA clone. Uncharted is a very different game from Gears. It may have used some of the elements that gears did but that does not make it a clone.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
King Billi said:
Also I really can't see how you consider Drake's Fortune a rip-off Raider of the Lost Ark? How exactly?

If anything I would have thought the comparison between Drake's Deception and The Last Crusade was more obvious.
It was less of a ripoff than an homage to the genre I think, there were similarities. Note of contention: Raiders was a huge ripoff of a Charleton Heston movie called Secret of the Incas. Not completely, but Lucas did heavily borrow things from the movie, especially Indy's preferred clothing. Setting changes and character changes (Egypt instead of South America, Indy is less of a douchebag than Harry Steele) make it different enough to not be a total rip, but apparently Incas was screened multiple times by Lucas/Spielburg and crew.
So yeah, this happens a lot in the storytelling media. I mean, hell D&D is built much off the Tolkein mythos...

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Timmey said:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1h6mo8/why_are_the_uncharted_games_so_well_regarded/

Dammit, you caught me! My horrible secret stands revealed!

I'm mellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.....

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
They are fun games, sure their third person cover shooting isn't the best, but the games looks and play great and even if lots of people find the characters shallow, I like their interactions and personalities. Of course it's all opinion in the end.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Johny_X2 said:
I see that you use the 'unoriginal' argument a lot.

The thing is, I don't think that originality matters all that much. Uncharted mixed bits and pieces of different genres and ballanced them out fairly well. It doesn't, and shouldn't matter that the game is unoriginal, the important thing is that it works and that it's fun.

And uncharted is fun. It may not be the best game I've played, it's not even in my personal Top 20, but it's still an engaging, fun experience I like to go back to once in a while. Original or not and flawed as it may be, uncharted is an enjoyable game.

Aside from those near-invincible minibosses in Uncharted 2. Fuck those guys.
I agree with pretty much all of it. It was a fun game without enough flaws to detract from the fun. A good and adventerous feel to it. I wouldn't call it a MUST PLAY game and it certainly isn't one of my top games of all time. But the top 20 list has some tough competition with the likes of Bioshock and Shadow of the Colossus on it. I'd give it a really high score as a game though. It's low on the memorability afterwards but very high on the game enjoyment during.

And yeah, f those damn minibosses. I turned it down to very easy at one point just to see if I was doing something wrong and I still had to empty clips of ammo into the end monsters/guardians and still died if I got hit more than twice.

Also, calling a game a Gears of War clone because it has cover-based shooting makes just about as much sense as calling an FPS a Doom clone or an open-world game a GTA clone. Uncharted is a very different game from Gears. It may have used some of the elements that gears did but that does not make it a clone.
Don't forget that Mass Effect Also has a cover system.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
woodaba said:
Timmey said:

Dammit, you caught me! My horrible secret stands revealed!

I'm mellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.....
Yeah most of the reddit guys have a good grasp on why a lot of people like the Uncharted series

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
The ending of the first game was stupid, I made me want to stab myself. luckily, the game play and rest of the story was good enough that I forgave Naughty Dog when Uncharted 2 came out. Boy am I glad I did. Uncharted 2 was just so good. Tank level, is all I have to say.

Anyways, this is going to be a shocking revelation, I know, but people like Uncharted games because they are good. They are fun to play.

Funny story.

My mom was over at my brother house while he was playing Uncharted 2, she sat there and watched it like it was a movie. Then the next time she was other she was like, "Ah so you going to playing the explorer game again?"

That's right, the game is so amazing my 50 year old mother is coming other to my brother house and bugging him, just so she can watch him play it.

/drops mic

Ratties

May 8, 2013
I swear to god, the only reason people bring up these topics is to get a ton of hits. They bring up a bullshit topic such as, ""why do people like the Mario Galaxy games so much.?" I love how they give reasons as to why the game could be enjoyable, pretty much killing it from the get go. Basically talk about how the game is held in so much high regard, that it's mere presence can cure cancer. All bullshit. They know the reasons as to why the game could be enjoyed by others. Literally wish I could press a button that makes these kinds of topics vanish.