So why is Dragon Age 2 being criticized as a button masher?

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
I'm kind of puzzled by this. In Dragon Age Origins, you attack enemies by right clicking on them and you use skills and abilities by hotkeys or mouse. In Dragon Age 2, you attack enemies by right clicking on them and you use skills and abilities by hotkeys or mouse. So...what has changed exactly? Besides the new flashy, over the top animations in Dragon Age 2?

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Xzi said:
I think console users haven't realized that there's an option to turn on auto-attack yet. XD

It's set to on by default on PCs.
To be fair, everything is blocked out in the demo, its hard to find it.

Basiclly what happened is they released a problematic demo which doesn't help discourage this fact. I personally have a big feel of wrongness centred around the problem with zooming but i can't put together entirely why i'm not enjoying combat.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
lucky_sharm said:
So console users have to attack manually? As in press the attack button over and over?
In the demo yes, apparently theres an option to turn this off in the actual game.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i play and love the warrior series from koei so this info doesn't effect me at all

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Well it sounded good you can set it to auto-attack after one click... Then I made the mental comparison to Runescape... Now I think I'll be happy to play a button masher.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Shame on me, but in DA:O I was button mashing despite my character auto-attacking.
Wits, I guess some people don't have them.

Davichu

Sep 28, 2010
to be honest id feel as iv made an impact on the game if i destroy my controller after a game. and its great workout on the thumbs

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
raxiv said:
Shame on me, but in DA:O I was button mashing despite my character auto-attacking.
Wits, I guess some people don't have them.
There's a demotivational poster there somewhere, lol!
I know my character auto attacks in DA, but I still press A for normal attacks, I think it is impatience ;)

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
I prefer having to keep hitting the button. It makes the combat feel more... Fun? Clicking a guy and making tea doesn't make for an awesome time for me, as much as I enjoy tea...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Xzi said:
I think console users haven't realized that there's an option to turn on auto-attack yet. XD

It's set to on by default on PCs.
We can't adjust any options in the demo.

Fucking Bioware. I can't even see damage numbers!