So, will you be participating in "Ceasefire friday"?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
So the rationale is this.

Games were blamed for the Newtown massacre.

Therefore, I won't play any shooters on Friday because of the obvious rule that correlation = causation that we all know is correct.

Many gamers are doing this. That's fine, I can't stop them.

However, why would you do this? isn't it a tacit admission that we think games are a problem?

This Friday, I'll be playing the goriest game I can find, and then continuing my life as a perfectly well adjusted human being with no intent to murder.

Hey, play Spec Ops: The Line instead. Hate the worst bits of shooters, love the game.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Ravinoff said:
I am so going to plug in Bulletstorm just for this.
I'm going with MortalKombat4 or Manhunt. Then going back to my life as a decent human being. Come get me, mainstream media XD

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
No No No a thousand a million a billion times NO!

Out of spite, I will be playing as many violent video games as I possibly can (and by out of spite, I of course mean I will not change my habits at all. VIOLENCE!). This is one of the worst ideas that I have ever heard of and am completely baffled that anyone would possibly think that this is a good idea.

Seriously...if someone thinks this is a good idea, I would absolutely LOVE to know why because I can't think of any possible good that this can do. Give me your good reason and I will tell you why you're wrong :) You're welcome! If somehow you manage to give me a reason that I can't explain why this entire idea is bad, I will gladly join this meaningless crusade.

EDIT: See post 40 if you are looking for a more detailed explanation for why I think this is a terrible terrible idea

EDIT 2: This thread just keeps on living! Just to be clear since a few are decrying people like me who specifically played a shooter on Friday (though I was in the middle of Max Payne 3 before-hand so I suppose I didn't do it out of spite but because it was what I was playing. Anyway...):

I did it against the movement as an idea, NOT people who were participating (and especially not to spite the victims of this psychopath). I believe the movement was very short sighted and an absolute terrible idea. If you felt it was a good idea to show support/compassion to the victims, who am I to tell you that you're grieving wrong? All I was hoping to do was make people think a little bit before they jump into a knee-jerk reaction like these movements.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
tippy2k2 said:
No No No a thousand a million a billion times NO!

Out of spite, I will be playing as many violent video games as I possibly can. This is one of the worst ideas that I have ever heard of and am completely baffled that anyone would possibly think that this is a good idea.

That's 1,000 1,000,000 and 1,000,000,000 times no for those playing at home.

Also, yeah, kneejerk reactions from the community are pretty much the least helpful responses to anything, ever.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That's a thing?
That's dumb.

I dunno, I just got the Oddworld shooter thing on GoG sale so I might end up playing that sometime.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
What? Why should games or any form of entertainment be blamed by the acts of a sick person? Definitely no.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Unless a rare spell of FPS desire hits, I'm gonna say no. Hell all I play is Skyrim anymore.

But the whole idea is pointless in my view, as games had no part to do with the incident.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Looks like it's time to finally finish Serious Sam 3.

Till then I'll be nuking things in Civ completely harmlessly.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Look, nothing against that no shooter Friday thing but I don't see how it...does anything. And it's not like you can verify, either. If at least raised awareness to...something, then I would see why, as it stands, I don't see the point. I won't be playing any shooters for sure. I don't play that many shooters. I've been on no shooter December, so far, and I don't think I played any in November either. I think for a single day participants would accomplish as much as I did in those month and a half, i.e., I haven't done anything special by not playing shooters neither would they.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
No shooter Friday huh? Time to pick up a useless violence game on that day then! Hmm...GTA going on a rampage comes to mind. Or maybe bulletstorm. No wait, I know! Postal2! Damn, so many choices...

If I shoot up a school on Friday or next Monday you'll know why! :)

(not making fun of the shooting here, but of people that correlate violent games with such things as school shootings.)

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
DazZ. said:
Looks like it's time to finally finish Serious Sam 3.

Till then I'll be nuking things in Civ completely harmlessly.
"Your Fishing Boats are no match for my ICBM!"

or

"Take that!, Farm!"

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Possibly but not for that CeaseFire shit, might just be because I don't have the desire to play a shooter then.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Not only will I be playing shooters on friday, I will be mentally replacing my enemies with school children!

(Before I get reported, I am of course joking).

BonfireAg03

Big Damn Hero
Jan 18, 2010
kman123 said:
Games have nothing to do with the shooting.
Although that's never stopped certain people from trying to associate games with violence. After all, there are some people who have tried to blame Dynasty Warriors for Adam Lanza's behaviors. Sadly, some people will always try to use tragedies to further their own agenda.

All that said, if the point of "No Shooter Friday" is to pay your respects to the victims and their families, I do think that it's a thoughtful gesture.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm doing it.
I might finally be able to pick up that achievement in Mirror's Edge for not shooting anybody.

And by the way, it's not about blaming games, they're not blaming anybody.
It's just a show of respect, you know, like the traditional "moment of silence"
Yeah, it doesn't actually do anything but it's still a nice little notion.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I don't really play shooters much. I may or may not end up playing BlOps2 on Friday as per request of a friend but I don't play shooters for 90% of the days in a year. Unless 3rd person counts, then maybe it is more like 60%. Gotta say though, this is a pretty dumb idea. Everyone knows that RTS's like Starcraft is what causes violence. FPS causes rapists. I thought everyone knew that.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
torno said:
I'm doing it.
I might finally be able to pick up that achievement in Mirror's Edge for not shooting anybody.

And by the way, it's not about blaming games, they're not blaming anybody.
It's just a show of respect, you know, like the traditional "moment of silence"
Yeah, it doesn't actually do anything but it's still a nice little notion.
How does it show respect? We're not doing something we enjoy because some guy killed a bunch of people?

Savagezion said:
I don't really play shooters much. I may or may not end up playing BlOps2 on Friday as per request of a friend.
Yes, but WHY? -_-