So yeah, another controller/M+KB topic

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
I have found there really isn't a difference these days, it all comes down to what you prefer. People who are used to controllers have difficulty using KB+M as well, and KB+M users have trouble being as responsive with unfamiliar controllers.

Hell at this point most modern games read inputs and events exactly the same way, so I don't really see any point in arguing that either side is inherently superior to the other.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
albino boo said:

Please read my second post, or to be more precise this part.

Secondly you removed the first part of Zhukov's post, therefor I assumed you were only dealing the particular piece you kept and not the first point.
If you had removed the entirety of [user]Zhukov[/user]'s post or kept the entire thing then you would have a leg to stand on, however you (for some strange reason) decided to pull only the second part in answering him, with your further assertations that you 'answered the first part already' are only partly correct. You answered a different poster with a significant time difference between the two (which in my previous post I stated that I missed and assumed that you were two different people).

If you are going to lecture people into reading posts/threads them please do so yourself.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
If something allowed within the confines of the game and intended by the developer (e.g. no exploit) gives you an advantage, sure use it. Fighting game players aren't buying arcade sticks because they like the retro feel but because they give you, put simply, an input advantage. Just like a well configured gaming mouse can give you a (smaller by comparison) advantage. People are also using joysticks for flying jets in Battlefield (3). No idea if it gives you an advantage, I wouldn't know because I crash them either way but I think people aren't using them just for the flavor either.

I think the aim assist probably shouldn't be as strong as it is described but perfectly balancing both gamepad and K/M inputs will probably be very hard. Either way one input method will be at a disadvantage. At least gamepads are widespread, unlike arcade sticks or joysticks so basically everyone has one available. Standard PC inputs are K+M though so they should maybe try to fine tune the aim assist a little.

Overall, I play many single player games with a game pad but I switched to K/M for two short sections in Metro Last Light recently, for example. I probably wouldn't try it in multi player.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
Honestly, the less you listen to people complaining about how you play games online, the better. Picture yourself as a person who prides themselves on being able to twitch around with their mouse, and gets a warm fuzzy ego boost when they pull a massive flick shot off. Now imagine, after having felt really good about doing well, you learn that some doing better than you is using a *gasp* inferior input method. Simply put, it would cause your ego to go into defensive mode.

Titanfall isn't a competitive game. It has a gun that aims for the player, a skill that lets players see through walls, and a burn card called "map hack." Even if it was though, you still just plain old shouldn't worry about cheating because of the equipment you use. Why?

Amazing, but according to the person that called you out on titanfall, he is also "cheating." Every single player who plays at LAN in Counter Strike either uses a 120/144hz monitor and almost all of them use a high performance optical mouse with a higher perfect control speed than the average consumer mouse. One could make the argument that anyone could potentially buy a high refresh rate gaming monitor or gaming mouse, but not everyone has hundreds of dollars spend on something for a slight edge in competition. Furthermore, while good players would always be good regardless of the equipment they use, high refresh rates invariably increase hand eye coordination and a sub-par mouse sensor simply can't keep up with the mouse movement speeds required for low sensitivity play.

Now, I'd definitely hate the idea of auto aim being made available in a game like Counter Strike simply because it might mess with the skill ceiling, but if it were present for everyone, it's not cheating. People ***** about the auto sniper and the p90 all of the time, but that doesn't stop players like n0thing or get_right from using them.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
At worst, I'd consider your controller to be dishonorable, but not cheating. Cheating would be getting the game's autoaim to take over while using your mouse. Any other player could pop a controller in and do the same as you. So, the only advantage you really have over anyone is a hardware advantage, and that's a very common thing in PC gaming.

I'm enough of a snob to laugh at someone using a controller on a PC, but I'm rational enough to know it's a legitimate choice for some people. That said, I wouldn't actively want someone using a controller on my team in a multiplayer game, because there's no way they would be able to play competitively. Although, if your performance with a controller is what you say it is, I'd shut up instantly. Context is everything in these things, and I'm willing to be proved wrong as often as it takes.