So you're introducing someone to videogames. What games should you use?

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
After watching Ep. 24 of Extra Credits ("Sharing Our Medium"), I was wondering if there were any particularly good games for incepting someone into gaming. Any suggestions?

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
I think what is most important is to first have an idea of what is our future gamer's tastes. Is this someone looking to break into the medium and commit a good portion of their free time to games? Or are they looking for brief distractions that can be done once in a while?

Also, are they looking for something on their tablet/phone device? Or is this somebody honestly looking into investing in a console, or using their pc?

Finally, if you know this person, then you should have an idea about personal preferences. Are they inclined to avoid violence? Do they seem like the type of person who would invest in RTS and RPG elements, or do they want quick run-and-gun sessions? Or do they like mind-bending sessions with a portal gun? Are they history fanatics? Do they like animals? Cars? The challenge of running a virtual restaurant? Bubble Bobble?

Essentially, it is important to make sure that their first introduction to games will be a FUN experience. Make sure they are aware that the gaming medium has many choices, but also encourage them to look online for fun sounding games. There are lots of movies in the world, but because I know what I like, I can easily filter through the lists to find something to my liking. The same can be said for games. This may help with the intimidation of the gaming library.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Do they like challenges? Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma would be good choices.

If they like lots of action: (see challenging games list), Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia and Lollipop Chainsaw would all be splendid choices.

Fantasy settings? Elder Scrolls series, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon's Dogma, White Knight Chronicles and anything in the Tales of Series would be awesome choices.

If they're major music lovers then I would recommend Guitar Hero, Band Hero, Rockband and DJ hero as pretty solid choices.

Choose something easier, more casual, first. If it's too easy for them, pick something more challenging. Too hard? Something a little bit easier with a bite would be desirable. I would first ask them what kind of setting they like. Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, War, Medieval, that kinda stuff.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Reyold said:
After watching Ep. 24 of Extra Credits ("Sharing Our Medium"), I was wondering if there were any particularly good games for incepting someone into gaming. Any suggestions?
Well I started with a Nintendo 64 and the first games I played were Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64, so I would suggest a Mario-title game on a Nintendo console.

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
Cyrus Hanley said:
Reyold said:
Well I started with a Nintendo 64 and the first games I played were Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64, so I would suggest a Mario-title game on a Nintendo console.
No.

OT: As others have said, try and find something that might suit this particular individual's tastes. See if they share any of your interests (i.e. Sci-fi, fantasy, etc.) and find games that fit those criteria.

David VanDusen

Feb 18, 2011
CoD? The Darkness? Really? In the long history of Video Games you'd put those up at the forefront when it comes to introduction?

I'll second what another poster said. It all depends on the person. If we're talking someone who is really new to gaming in general and not just video games then it is all down to personality. If you're looking at someone who likes board games or card games then that is a branching off point.

While I don't personally have one nor will I ever, Nintendo still stands as the most friendly company to new gamers. And if we're talking PC rather than Console.... I support Steam. Not anything in particular just Steam in general. Mainly because it is a vast catalog, often with demos, which can help facilitate finding what this person actually enjoys.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I turned an ex into a gamer... all it took was a dollop of Mario Galaxy, a helping of Mario Kart, a tbsp of Wii Fit and a side order of Lego Star Wars...

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I might go Grand Theft Auto 3 or 4. They may never actually get into the game element of it, but I think anyone can appreciate the act of running around causing chaos for a little while.

Khundes

Mar 25, 2011
I recommend Portal, because that game is 80% tutorial, and it doesn't feel like one, it gradually introduces a very common control scheme, is light and witty, and most importantly, it is THE gateway "action" title. The person's reaction to Portal would be a good indicator of where to go next.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Depends on their taste in media outside of gaming. Do they already like fantasy stuff? Get them Fable. Sci-fi? I'd say Mass Effect isn't too complicated.

It all depends.
Mysterious Druid said:
Dwarf Fortress. The frustration would be palpable.
I love you man.
EvilMaggot said:
Minecraft is always a good kickstarter imo :) for beginners to gaming
Nope. An already confusing first person perspective (us gamers often don't realize how confusing that is to control for a non-gamer) mixed with, basically, a virtual box of Lego's? Not a good idea.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Uncharted 2 worked really well for me. The player was inexperienced. Playing on very easy mode allowed him to get used to control system while enjoying a real sense of progress in one of the best looking console games ever made. He then went on to play about 7 hours straight, no rests. He was hooked.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Depends on the person of course, but there's a good list.

First off, well..Valve. Yeah, its Cliche but come on...it's valve. Portal is a fantastic game, gives you good writing and strong characters, and appeals to people who may be a little turned off by the violence fest. The reward really lets you, "Get" why people game, and with Portal 2, you can coop. If they want to play some shooters single player, Half Life 2 is realy good, and shows you the core gameplay of shooters at its absolute finest. Also, Left 4 Dead is coop, emphasizes teamwork, and is streamlined enough that it is easy to pick up, and even a newb can feel useful and engaged even while they strive to improve. A newbie who can barely control the camera can jump in with a (Patient) expert, and everyone can still have fun.

Also consider games that utilize the core mechanics of very accessible casual games, while introducing some more, "Core" elements. Puzzle Quest and Runespell come to mind. Games that are functionally board games like Greed Corp or Catan may also fit the bill (Though Id avoid super-dense titles like Civilization at first)

If its in the casual section but it appeals to you, it is probably a good stepping stone.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Tetris for an absolute beginner, they will get to tackle the controls and go in at their own pace, just make sure you leave them to their own devices and not be an obnoxious backseat gamer.

Then try a simplistic 2D platformer, probably best to just browse flash games to find something that fits, then you can upgrade to more challenging platformers to really hone their navigation skill.

And the final step would be FPS, for that there is no better thing then Minecraft because it is just a toy to play with as one wishes, and it has that magic compulsion that will make people stick with it and really get to grips with 3D navigation.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
If they're completely new to gaming, probably something they can play in a browser or on a phone like Angry Birds or Plants and Zombies.

In my experience of introducing less-nerdy family/friends to "proper" games, winning titles tend to have one type of gameplay (puzzles or racing or shooting, not a mix), a forgiving difficulty curve, and either no story at all, or one that can be easily ignored (i.e. doesn't have lots of cutscenes or text on the screen to read).

I think it's a bit of a myth that new gamers are bound to like something with a strong story. Most of the time, they're having to concentrate too hard on all the new concepts to pay any attention to the story.

Even something as simple and linear as Devil May Cry 4 resulted in my brother looking worried and asking "Did I need to understand any of that?" after the first cutscene. I had to reassure him that all he needed to do was a) keep following the paths and b) kill anything that moved! Even with that problem dealt with, the difficulty ultimately proved too off-putting for him.

In contrast, my sister was pretty much an instant convert to Viva Pinata, because she could start playing without having to put up with her annoying big sister breathing down her neck. The tutorial told her absolutely everything she needed to know, and both the HUD and menus clearly indicated the buttons on the Xbox360 controller that she needed to press for all the actions. (Just to be clear, my sister was nineteen at the time.)