Social Justice Literature

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
jpz719 said:
Thyunda said:
jpz719 said:
I'd hardly call this book academia. Saying someone is born with some inherent responsibility or advantage for the simple reason they're white is the exact same racism as saying someone is born with an inherent disadvantage because they're black, or asian, or whatever.
Then evidently you don't understand what white privilege is. White people in America and in the UK are born with the advantage of being part of the ruling majority (even if they're the minority in numbers) and so will go about life without the chance of being discriminated against for their colour. Black people in the US are disadvantaged because there are a lot of people, some of whom are in life-altering positions of power, who don't like it when people are black.
How's tumblr this time of year? "white privledge" as you call it simply does not fucking exsist. Just because someone happens to be white and a dude does not mean he is somehow inherently bad, or respected, or have an advantage, or whatever. And I'm frankly just fuckin sick of hearin this bullshit. Saying someone has an advantage cuse they're white is THE PRECISE SAME racism as saying someone is disadvantaged for being black. Refusal to accept anything else is inherently a racist attitude.
Yeah it's not what you think it is dude.

Doesn't necessarily mean we have life in Easy mode (although, lets be honest it does feel like it implies that right?) it just means other folks have other challenges they feel we don't. Like being able to walk around a retail store without people thinking where theives, or basically just walking around being basically invisible.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Half The Sky is pretty good to learn about human trafficking.

It's an annoying read though, and pretty soap boxy. The guy advocates at one point that America should be using it's wealth and influence to solve the problem and every american should take time going to a 3rd world country to help it.

And ya know, I'm not completely heartless, but I don't want to be one of those motherfuckers that gets kidnapped and beheaded on the Internet. Fuck that noise.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
jpz719 said:
Thyunda said:
jpz719 said:
I'd hardly call this book academia. Saying someone is born with some inherent responsibility or advantage for the simple reason they're white is the exact same racism as saying someone is born with an inherent disadvantage because they're black, or asian, or whatever.
Then evidently you don't understand what white privilege is. White people in America and in the UK are born with the advantage of being part of the ruling majority (even if they're the minority in numbers) and so will go about life without the chance of being discriminated against for their colour. Black people in the US are disadvantaged because there are a lot of people, some of whom are in life-altering positions of power, who don't like it when people are black.
How's tumblr this time of year? "white privledge" as you call it simply does not fucking exsist. Just because someone happens to be white and a dude does not mean he is somehow inherently bad, or respected, or have an advantage, or whatever. And I'm frankly just fuckin sick of hearin this bullshit. Saying someone has an advantage cuse they're white is THE PRECISE SAME racism as saying someone is disadvantaged for being black. Refusal to accept anything else is inherently a racist attitude.
Saying someone is inherently better or worse than someone else because of their race/sex/whatever is racism/sexism/whatever.

Saying some is at a disadvantage or advantage due to the consequences of influential people who hold the views of the previous statement is not.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
shootthebandit said:
Darren716 said:
*slow claps* Someone give this person a medal I think they just solved all of these "issues"
Not sure if slow clap is sarcastic or approving, or if medal is gold or chocolate?
It's approving alright, its funny how the most effective solution to a problem is usually the easiest, it's amazing how many problems could be solved if more people incorporated the idea of not being dicks to each other over mostly meaningless things.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
jpz719 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
jpz719 said:
Thyunda said:
jpz719 said:
Yeah it's not what you think it is dude.

Doesn't necessarily mean we have life in Easy mode (although, lets be honest it does feel like it implies that right?) it just means other folks have other challenges they feel we don't. Like being able to walk around a retail store without people thinking where theives, or basically just walking around being basically invisible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9F8KvmKAU

http://www.mrconservative.com/2014/04/38872-racist-black-girls-bullying-white-toddler/

http://godfatherpolitics.com/12306/black-kids-video-bullying-3-yr-old-white-girl-post-video-facebook/

"White privledge" in action. It's hard in this day and age to not have someone throw shit at you in your life, myself included. I've had an incalcuable number of people, even in my own school system, show unmitigated contempt for me for no reason. Implying that it happens less to white people is, like I said, an inherently racist notion.
Just cause you got it shit doesn't necessarily mean others got it good, dude.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
jpz719 said:
Thyunda said:
jpz719 said:
I won't ever lose out on a job opportunity thanks to the colour of my skin. I won't be treated like shit for being "Taliban scum." There are no political parties in the UK who are out to get me (Looking at you, Britain First, you gang of cunts). There is nothing Tumblr about admitting that yeah, white people have it a little bit better. Nowhere does it say this inherently makes us bad or somehow invalidates our opinion, but it DOES mean you're gonna have a hard time relating to people who are put at a disadvantage by that system.

Which you clearly do.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Reading is in itself a privilege, and even mentioning it can be very triggering for people who are illiterate.

Check your privilege lit scum.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Yeah, no.. I've got the internet and feminist friends for this stuff, I don't need my reading material to preach at me to when I'm trying to relax and escape the real world for a bit. I'd recommend some of these books possibly, but that's it.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Thyunda said:
jpz719 said:
you cant just assume one group is privileged over another. Saying ALL white people are born into privilege is just as racist and presumptous as those who say "all black people come from a ghetto" or "all brazilians live in a favella"

Take a look at someone like Emmanuel Addebayor, Yaya Toure or Didier Drogba (all black) and ask them when they land their helicopter on their yacht to be greeted by a group of playboy bunnies if they are privileged. If they say anything other than "yes" they are lying

saying that white people are privileged only creates more of a divide between white and black people. Just because you were born white doesnt give people the right to assume they grew up in the 'surbs, drove to school in a minivan and dropped off at soccer practice by their mum. The same is then made by proxy that all black people come from a ghetto, shoot each other and smoke crack. You cant assume someone is privileged just because of their colour

let me humour you for a second and say that I do have privilege (which I suppose I do). I can afford my rent/bills, I have a fast car and I eat well/plentifully and I manage to still save a bit of money each month for a rainy day or a one-off treat. Does this make me part of a "ruling majority" or "someone in a life-altering position of power"? I dont think you (or anyone else for that matter) has the right to say that because of the colour of my skin I have somehow inherited some sort of influence in a fascist system, if you think I have then you are a racist yourself (yes you can be racist against white people) we may be as you say a "ruling majority" but making wild accusations/assumptions based on someones skin colour is by definition racist. Im not naive enough to say that black people aren't still discriminated against but to pass an element of the blame/responsibility onto me is absurd

Edit: basically all you are saying by "white privilege" is that there are more white racists than there are black racists. It isnt about who has the "ruling majority" its about who has the majority of racists.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Thyunda said:
jpz719 said:
you cant just assume one group is privileged over another. Saying ALL white people are born into privilege is just as racist and presumptous as those who say "all black people come from a ghetto" or "all brazilians live in a favella"

Take a look at someone like Emmanuel Addebayor, Yaya Toure or Didier Drogba (all black) and ask them when they land their helicopter on their yacht to be greeted by a group of playboy bunnies if they are privileged. If they say anything other than "yes" they are lying

saying that white people are privileged only creates more of a divide between white and black people. Just because you were born white doesnt give people the right to assume they grew up in the 'surbs, drove to school in a minivan and dropped off at soccer practice by their mum. The same is then made by proxy that all black people come from a ghetto, shoot each other and smoke crack. You cant assume someone is privileged just because of their colour

let me humour you for a second and say that I do have privilege (which I suppose I do). I can afford my rent/bills, I have a fast car and I eat well/plentifully and I manage to still save a bit of money each month for a rainy day or a one-off treat. Does this make me part of a "ruling majority" or "someone in a life-altering position of power"? I dont think you (or anyone else for that matter) has the right to say that because of the colour of my skin I have somehow inherited some sort of influence in a fascist system, if you think I have then you are a racist yourself (yes you can be racist against white people) we may be as you say a "ruling majority" but making wild accusations/assumptions based on someones skin colour is by definition racist. Im not naive enough to say that black people aren't still discriminated against but to pass an element of the blame/responsibility onto me is absurd

White privilege does not mean "Lives a privileged existence with fast cars and mansions because they are white". White privilege means "Will never be pushed down for being the wrong skin colour." All white people born in white-dominated cultures possess that privilege. A white person born in Somalia doesn't have that privilege. A black person in North Sudan is probably not discriminated against for being black. In that way, they have 'black privilege' in their surroundings, and I think you can be pretty certain that's not much of a privilege.

And as for being in a position of life altering power? A JobCentre advisor. A local retail store manager. The guy in charge of recruitment at your local McDonalds. The guy who investigates your disability benefit. The judge who decides if you're guilty. The cop who decides whether or not to arrest you. You want to know what white privilege is?

White privilege is being able to be sure you will get your Jobseeker's Allowance without being presumed to be an illegal immigrant because your name is Ahmed or because you're black.
White privilege is knowing your CV is gonna be treated based on whether your skills suit the job, not how easily pronounced your name is.
White privilege is getting a job at McDonalds because the recruitment handler decided a white face is friendlier to the public than a black one.
White privilege is when you don't find yourself accused of benefit fraud just because you have family in Pakistan.
White privilege is not looking immediately guilty because you look a bit foreign.
White privilege is looking familiar and secure in a tense situation.

These are the differences that you just can't seem to relate to. You won't ever be in that situation if you are a white person. I'm white. I've been in front of those JobCentre advisors. They will take ANY excuse to fill their quota of rejections. They stopped mine because I hadn't informed them I'd quit working (I'd repeated my contract length and shown them every wage slip) because their aim is to reduce the number of people on benefits. If they can reject someone based on suspected fraud or illegal immigration, they will.

Not everybody in those positions is a racist. But some are. Just one of those people can ruin somebody's life. You know how hard it is to get a job in this economy. Most recruiters are total dicks. But there's always the chance they're a racist dick, and that detail probably won't matter to you, but to somebody else it will completely change the course their life takes.

I'm sure it makes you feel all tough and edgy to say "I have it as hard as any black person" and that's quite likely. You might have a shit life. You might have shit surroundings. You being white doesn't save you from those, but not being white can make it so much harder to move.

For bonus points, name all the people in charge of the US and UK who aren't old, white or male. See if you still have faith that ethnic minorities can climb as easily as the majority.

I'm from Stoke-on-Trent. Our councillors elected a new mayor. His name is Majid Khan. The immediate reaction from the general public was "Now I have to take off my shoes to walk into the city." and "Muslims are taking over."

Stop deliberately misreading 'white privilege' to make yourself feel better about your lack of accomplishments. It's not impressing anybody.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
jpz719 said:
Well said. All this "white privledge" bullshit does is make the whole equality movement an even bigger minefield.
This is exactly what happens. These people tend to misframe the issue. Instead of trying to solve it they will think of different ways to make it more complex and come up with buzzwords like "white privilege". It doesnt help anyone if you make things more complicated. Its the whole gender thing all over again. Why cant we just have male, female, transmale, transfemale and "other". Instead we need all these other options to basically say "my perceived gender doesnt match my biological gender". I get it and im cool with it and quite frankly what you consider yourself is no business of mine and dont be offended if I honestly dont care.

Like I said in my previous post everything can be concentrated into one problem and one solution "dont be a dick". Im not here to inflate my ego. Im not a social justice, self-gratifaction whatsit but im just here to say it as it is. Its simple really, we can go around making new issues and arguing over the definition of things and we can read as much "social justice literature" to make ourselves sound all brainy and what not OR we can step back for a minute and just apply some good old fashioned common-sense. I dont need to read any "social justice literature" to tell me not to be a dick

Odd Owl

Oct 21, 2011
Thyunda said:
That's not evidence of "white privilege" in any meaningful sense. Those biases are deeply ingrained into the human psyche, possibly at a neurobiological level considering they transcend all races and cultures. I think it's a bit ridiculous when we stoop to discussing "black privilege" in Africa and "white privilege" in Europe and North America. These prejudices are not white, black, brown, or any other particular color and insisting on using the term "white privilege" as part of the "social justice" movement does little but estrange everyone who hasn't already drunk the Kool-Aid. This downplays the considerable and admirable strides that racial equality movements have made in the last century, it insults the memory of heros like Martin Luther King, Jr., and it perpetuates the culture of victimization in which many people are raised. It would be better to work to address the natural biases that all humans have for anyone who doesn't look, sound, or think like they do. Laying down the semantic arms of the race wars would be a pretty good first step toward that kind of racially egalitarian society.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Agitated Owl said:
Thyunda said:
That's not evidence of "white privilege" in any meaningful sense. Those biases are deeply ingrained into the human psyche, possibly at a neurobiological level considering they transcend all races and cultures. I think it's a bit ridiculous when we stoop to discussing "black privilege" in Africa and "white privilege" in Europe and North America. These prejudices are not white, black, brown, or any other particular color and insisting on using the term "white privilege" as part of the "social justice" movement does little but estrange everyone who hasn't already drunk the Kool-Aid. This downplays the considerable and admirable strides that racial equality movements have made in the last century, it insults the memory of heros like Martin Luther King, Jr., and it perpetuates the culture of victimization in which many people are raised. It would be better to work to address the natural biases that all humans have for anyone who doesn't look, sound, or think like they do. Laying down the semantic arms of the race wars would be a pretty good first step toward that kind of racially egalitarian society.
Oh, I get it. Your solution to solving the problems of discrimination is to ignore it. Right. So which civil rights movement do you belong to then? The Bystander Effect?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Thyunda said:
And as for being in a position of life altering power? A JobCentre advisor. A local retail store manager. The guy in charge of recruitment at your local McDonalds. The guy who investigates your disability benefit. The judge who decides if you're guilty. The cop who decides whether or not to arrest you. You want to know what white privilege is?

White privilege is being able to be sure you will get your Jobseeker's Allowance without being presumed to be an illegal immigrant because your name is Ahmed or because you're black.
White privilege is knowing your CV is gonna be treated based on whether your skills suit the job, not how easily pronounced your name is.
White privilege is getting a job at McDonalds because the recruitment handler decided a white face is friendlier to the public than a black one.
White privilege is when you don't find yourself accused of benefit fraud just because you have family in Pakistan.
White privilege is not looking immediately guilty because you look a bit foreign.
White privilege is looking familiar and secure in a tense situation.
Yes im aware of that and im not naive enough to say this doesnt happen but should I be labelled with "white privileged" which is basically giving me a title because I happen to be born a certain colour. I am not a judge, a policeman or a job centre worker. Labelling me as such is essentially branding me with the same iron as these racists you described simply because I share their skin colour

Not everybody in those positions is a racist. But some are. Just one of those people can ruin somebody's life. You know how hard it is to get a job in this economy. Most recruiters are total dicks. But there's always the chance they're a racist dick, and that detail probably won't matter to you, but to somebody else it will completely change the course their life takes.
Like I said "white privilege" simply means that there are more white racists (and in higher positions) than their are black racists. I dont have a problem with that but saying I (as in me personally) has a white privilege it makes it look like im a racist because I benefit from a system that happens to be biased towards my race

I'm sure it makes you feel all tough and edgy to say "I have it as hard as any black person" and that's quite likely. You might have a shit life. You might have shit surroundings. You being white doesn't save you from those, but not being white can make it so much harder to move.
I dont have shit surroundings. Im reasonably well off and I never once said "i have it as hard as a black person" but what I am saying is that calling me "white privileged" is making an assumption. Yes more white people are privileged than black people but I now a lot of white people who arent privileged and a lot of black people who are. By being called "privileged" makes me as if people will have an animosity towards me which only fuels race hate

For bonus points, name all the people in charge of the US and UK who aren't old, white or male. See if you still have faith that ethnic minorities can climb as easily as the majority.
Barrack Obama? Does he count? He's half white. For even more bonus points can you name anyone for the above list who comes from a working class background. Even labour is full of rich people who are out of touch with your average joe". How many people dont have a university education in politics?

I'm from Stoke-on-Trent. Our councillors elected a new mayor. His name is Majid Khan. The immediate reaction from the general public was "Now I have to take off my shoes to walk into the city." and "Muslims are taking over."
So again im getting thrown in with these racists. Its like saying "These people happen to be racist towards a man. You are the same race as them, you should feel guilty". I dont feel guilty because im not a racist but I feel bad for him and I feel bad for these people who cant type islam into google without clicking on the daily mail website

Stop deliberately misreading 'white privilege' to make yourself feel better about your lack of accomplishments. It's not impressing anybody.
My lack of accomplishments? Im actually pretty proud of myself. I just dont want to be given a label that makes me feel in some way connected or even a party to other peoples racism. The term white privilege is just to further white guilt. Instead of labelling me as such why not label the individual racists instead of tarring us with the same brush. Like I said im not guilty because im not a racist but like anyone who is not guilty being forced to admit guilty because you belong to the same race is stupid.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Now I see your issue. You're misinterpreting the term and taking offence to your own version of it. It's hard to find a decent alternative to the term, however. Don't think of it like you're being rewarded for being white, think of it more that you're not being punished for it, while living in a society where being punished for your skin colour is a decent possibility.

Let's not bring class into this. I suspect we could talk for days about that. Let's just stick with race for the time being. Obama counts, naturally. That's one. You might reach about...ten...when you're dealing with hundreds of very samey-looking dudes, while that's not saying that everybody's automatically racist, what it IS saying is that society has become structured in a way that favours people of our particular pigment. In the UK, being poor is usually enough to construct impervious social barriers, but even then - at least you don't look foreign. Don't try to assume people want you to feel guilty about being white. The concept of white privilege should really only be taken into account when discussing racism, as for you or I to say "Racism isn't prevalent," is simply insulting to people that have suffered through it, and that's not entirely our fault because how the hell are we gonna experience racism? We can't go looking for it. Racists in professional capacities don't tend to show it off, that would get them fired.

I suppose a better way of phrasing 'white privilege' is to say "Be a little more sensitive. Some people really are just dicks about skin colour."

Course, that was before the Tumblrites got a hold on it. Now white privilege is on par with 'cis-gendered' on just how invalid your opinion is.

Odd Owl

Oct 21, 2011
Thyunda said:
Agitated Owl said:
Thyunda said:
Oh, I get it. Your solution to solving the problems of discrimination is to ignore it. Right. So which civil rights movement do you belong to then? The Bystander Effect?
I'm sorry, you must not have read my post in its entirety before deciding to mock me for disagreeing with you. I actually suggested that by encouraging all people to work through their prejudices regardless of their race or color would be a more egalitarian, intellectually honest, and ultimately fruitful way of fighting discrimination. I put the relevant part of the quote in bold for your benefit.