SOCOM But Not Forgotten

thatsthespirit

Nov 18, 2009
SOCOM But Not Forgotten

Lamenting the last days of one of gaming's finest military shooters.

Read Full Article

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Its rather unfortunate that SOCOM never really took off in the new generation. Other than Halo it seemed like it was the other big console shooter at the time.

Never played them, but I have always had a respect for that series. I never had a PS2 until way late in the cycle and the bad word of mouth on the PS3 games kept me away as well.

Sep 14, 2009
er mer gerd...

Remeniscing my favorite shooter of all time in an article? bah.

I truly wish there was a PC port of this, i'd play it for days on end. By far the most advanced and best third person shooter for it's time, i can't tell you how much i enjoyed that tense strategy in those games. Still remember getting the game early and staying in the top 100 leaderboard for the first week, was very stressful XD

Desert Glory and vigilance are still two of my favorite maps to this day, even though desert glory usually ended up being a "who shot first" battle in the jail cell.

Also, team sniper matches on vigilance was the shit, took true aim to really hook someone with a headshot in socom II

Vanquishuer

Twilight Vanquisher
Mar 5, 2009
Sadly, Xbox Live killed a whole slew of online-enabled games like SOCOM as well as No One Lives Forver, which I was huge in at the time.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
This is what I miss in modern gaming.
It just isn't the same without the community, the brotherhood.

Apr 28, 2008
Makes you wonder what's going to happen to games now. Damn-near all of them use online connectivity in some way. For quite a few it's the way to play them. What happens when those servers go down? Well that game is crippled and whatever experience the developer intended is now lost forever.

I wish consoles had a way to let the community run the games like on the PC. Maybe then we'd still be able to hop on Halo 2 or SOCOM.

*sigh*

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
You still get that sense of community in the pc era. theres a free to play game called hawken that ive fallen in love with. Its the first time that ive been allowed to do things like join a clan and get to know everybody. High skill and learning curves that keep you and your better teammates up and trying harder. Its a fps where you pilot a mech in multiplayer enviroments and its free to play so if it sounds like your thing check it out. And also Im gwynbleidd7263 of the blacksteelbrotherhood and we are always recruiting(as of this post anyway)

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Really great article. I played a lot of damn SOCOM II. Still have my official socom headset from SOCOM I. Right in the feels. This is a beautiful tribute to the greatest shooter I've ever played.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
Made me nostalgia hard. Crossroads was my favorite map but there was so many good ones. This was the first online game I ever played and I still have memories of shooting people up.

No IWs aloud and you better not use that nube tube.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheSapphireKnight said:
Its rather unfortunate that SOCOM never really took off in the new generation. Other than Halo it seemed like it was the other big console shooter at the time.

Never played them, but I have always had a respect for that series. I never had a PS2 until way late in the cycle and the bad word of mouth on the PS3 games kept me away as well.
Having played pretty much all the prior SOCOM games, the bad word of mouth kept even ME from playing the PS3 ones. Nobody in their right mind would blame you.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
This feature really made me smile. It was a surprisingly sweet send-off to a game that is obviously close to the author's heart. I could name one or two games I feel similar about

However, this also illustrates my negative opinion about all the metrics tracking this generation has. As it says in the feature, today's multiplayer games are about killstreaks and levels, instead of community. All the old shooters, like SOCOM II, never had the RPG elements games like CoD or Battlefield have today. While these elements were an interesting addition to the multiplayer shooter formula, I believe they are the main reason (alongside the increasing popularity of online shooters among the general, unwashed public) that online shooters have seen this transition from playing the game for the pure enjoyment of the gameplay and community, to playing the game for the main purpose of leveling up and beating all the other players.

It's the same reason I don't like the idea of Achievements very much. They are a cool idea, but they make everything about completionism, instead of just enjoying the game for the sake of the game.

Anyway, great feature!

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
thatsthespirit said:
SOCOM But Not Forgotten

Lamenting the last days of one of gaming's finest military shooters.

Read Full Article
Thank you so much for writing this article, it just brought back so many fantastic gaming memories for me. Socom 2 was the first shooter I ever played online, and all these years later I still have friends from that game that I keep in contact with, such was the sense of community that game built.

So much about the game I'd forgotten though, like the voting thing. I remember, more than once, accidentally kicking our last living player due to too many people voting at once. And being on the receiving end of that aswell.

I feel sorry for anyone growing up in the CoD era. No community, no teamwork, you might as well just be shooting at bots. Socom was truly something else, and I'm sad to see it go.

Sep 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
TheSapphireKnight said:

Having played pretty much all the prior SOCOM games, the bad word of mouth kept even ME from playing the PS3 ones. Nobody in their right mind would blame you.
did you ever play the ps3 ones? the first one was god awful, you couldn't sell that to your local game store for more than a couple bucks, and the newer one switched up the camera angle and was drawing too much from other shooters, didn't have the "socom" feel to it (played extensively in the multiplayer beta thing, didn't get the game though)

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
did you ever play the ps3 ones? the first one was god awful, you couldn't sell that to your local game store for more than a couple bucks, and the newer one switched up the camera angle and was drawing too much from other shooters, didn't have the "socom" feel to it (played extensively in the multiplayer beta thing, didn't get the game though)
Was the first one confrontation? The one that had a few of the classic maps thrown in to try and bring in the nostalgia crowd?

I remember buying it because HOLY SHIT A NEW SOCOM GAME!! but it really just wasn't the same. Damned nostalgia, blinding my decision making skills...

Sep 14, 2009
WaysideMaze said:
gmaverick019 said:
Was the first one confrontation? The one that had a few of the classic maps thrown in to try and bring in the nostalgia crowd?

I remember buying it because HOLY SHIT A NEW SOCOM GAME!! but it really just wasn't the same. Damned nostalgia, blinding my decision making skills...
yepp, a few classic maps for "LOOK! NOSTALGIA!" and the gameplay to follow with was shite, thankfully i was late to the part with getting a ps3 so confrontation was like 15 bucks when i bought it.

Fell into the same nostalgia hole, and as we both learned it was clearly not the game(s) we loved and remembered.

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
I know how you feel man. Reading that article reminded me of Halo 2 and how much fun I had in that. Even Halo 3 to some extent. Back when you could get on and most of the people were friendly and pleasant to talk to. I fondly remember doing all kinds of custom games with people I had only met the game before (demolition Derby at coag was the best). Now though I don't even bother plugging my mic in unless I'm in a party with a guy I've been friends with on Xbox Live for years now. Especially since everyone who talks is some homophobic, racist, hate monger.

Sure there were people like that in Halo 2 and especially Halo 3 but there were a lot of nice people to make up for it at least. Oh well I guess there's not much one can do about it now.