SOE Bids Fond Farewell to Star Wars Galaxies

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
With all of these MOO's coming and going, all of which I have never played, I wonder if something of value is lost.
Old games can usually be played forever using emulators. You can always go back for the nostalgia or have a look at something great you might have missed. But when an MMO is gone, it's pretty much gone for good.
Well there's always SWGEmu [http://www.swgemu.com].

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
To finish the MMO, There should be a mission to hunt down and kill Jar Jar Binks

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
I wonder if anyone considering ToR for the long haul will take this as a wake up call because the same thing WILL happen all over again.
...The hell makes you so certain? Did you look into a crystal ball or something, what?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I think on the last day, The Death Star should take out 1 planet every hour xD

But anyway, sad day for Galaxies, i've never played it (although i was going to a few years back, then WoW dragged me in ¬¬) but it looked like a decent game.

But still, TOR looks promising, can't wait <3

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
iniudan said:
In the case some of the oldest MMO there is emulator out there, so basically even when they shut down people will still be able to play Ultima Online and Everquest, since they had unofficial servers for years.
You can reverse engineer the servers, but it will still be a very different experience to a supported game. As far as I know, all the original quests and other game content will be gone.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
How is Smedley still employed in that position?

He's made more bad game decisions than any dev I ever saw, and he does not and never did understand the desires of his consumer-base.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions about this.

In general I call "bullshit" on the claims because SoE is apparently still running "Clone Wars Adventures". What that means is that they are still dealing with George Lucas, and apparently still have access to the Star Wars liscence. If "Clone Wars Adventures" is going down, I have heard absolutly nothing about it, and honestly they are still pimping it as one of their new IPs pretty heavily.

SWG has enough players right now to continue making money, especially if some of the servers are condensed.

Don't get the wrong impression here though, on some levels I think it's a good thing to send a game off with a degree of dignity. Personally I think Blizzard should have done this with World Of Warcraft after "Lich King", but well... that never happened for financial reasons, irregardless of what would probably have been for the best for the IP and the eventual launch of WoW2.

While I'm sorry to see it go, I think Sony's desician is largely based on the amount of money the game is making, rather than it not generating a profit at all. After all why run those servers, if the same amount of space/electicity/personell could be used for something else that might potentially make an even bigger wad of profits. Of course it's not politic to say something like that, so we have the guys from the company engaging in bald faced lies to the fan base. I have no idea what they are thinking when they rant about not wanting to maintain the Star Wars liscence while saying "by all means, try our OTHER, kiddie oriented Star Wars game" as one of the options after the 15th when they open up their other games to SWG players.

All told I am hoping that when they do shut it down they at least have the class to release the code as pubic domain, much like what happened with Sierra's "Imagination Network" games like "Shadow Of Ysebrius". I know there is a major emulation project going on right now, and it would be nice if Sony's blessing, and perhaps assistance (with the release of the code) could help that along and give the implicit guarantee that they aren't going to start trying to send lawyers after them.

Still, as bad as the news is, I think it's made worse by the way Sony is going about it. I think this situation sort of summarizes what is wrong with the gaming industry as a whole. There might be good answers about the liscence and so on, but not justifying their desicians and claims while ranting about liscencing, while running another Star Wars game does not reflect on Sony in a positive fashion.

Truthfully I would think that after robbing their customer base with the "other OS" option, and then getting themselves hacked, that SoE would be desperate to keep what fans and good will it has. Shutting down SWG now, especially with the reasons being given (ie what seems to be obvious BS), makes me think that Sony is actively trying to commit corperate seppeku.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I am not much for MMORPGs, but SWG was one of them that I was able to really get into for a time. It is sad to see it go, but it has been on life support for a while.
If they made it free for the last couple weeks or something, I would go so far as to install the station launcher on my new computer just to hunt for one last bounty before it was all over.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Just because they played SWG dosen't mean they will gladly swap to ToR. Two different games and i doubt they would want to play ToR by virtue of it being Star wars. If they did they wouldn't be fighting it as much.
This.

Ive looked at SWG v ToR they look nothing alike...Im sure a diehard SWG fan is someone who enjoys the...whatever it has that made it original (sandbox MMO) and look at ToR its just World of Star Wars...or KotOR w/ annoying people taking my quest items...

We've all seen the robotic AI and character appearence...

Since SoE doesnt want SWG anymore....can someone else pick it up from LucasArts?

I wonder if there will be a rise in Private Servers...

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Lt. Vinciti said:
Just because they played SWG dosen't mean they will gladly swap to ToR. Two different games and i doubt they would want to play ToR by virtue of it being Star wars. If they did they wouldn't be fighting it as much.
This.

Ive looked at SWG v ToR they look nothing alike...Im sure a diehard SWG fan is someone who enjoys the...whatever it has that made it original (sandbox MMO) and look at ToR its just World of Star Wars...or KotOR w/ annoying people taking my quest items...

We've all seen the robotic AI and character appearence...

Since SoE doesnt want SWG anymore....can someone else pick it up from LucasArts?

I wonder if there will be a rise in Private Servers...
I kinda expect that within a year of going offline it will be bought by something like Gamers First. At that point they begin reworking it to its former glory, polish it up, re release it, and make a killing.

Because if i understand the mind of George lucas he won't let his IP stop raking in cash and to be honest salvaging SWG to its former glory would be a good step towards his IP looking better.
SWGEMU Is alraedy up.. Pretty damn big Starwars Galaxy's private server with its own developerteam.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
And so I give a half hearted goodbye to a shitty ass game. Farewell SWG, you shall not be missed.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
"as if a million voices cried out and were suddenly silenced."

Eh, more like a few thousand.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
CEO John Smedley says it was a good decision to let the license for the venerable sci-fi MMO expire, as if a million voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.
LOLLL man I'm loving these