SOL: Exodus Launching Fighters This Wednesday

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
omicron1 said:
I was sold right up until I read "fanatical religious group."

I don't tend to like games that treat me as the villain, and expect me to agree.
No sale.
You're a religious fanatic?

OT: Just a few minor nitpicks from a fan of the genre(nothing that would prevent me from buying the game)... I'm glad that this uses a first person perspective, but having a cockpit would help with the immersion. I'm not fond of the big glowing "LOOK AT ME!!!" indicators for the weak points. A simple reticle for lock-on would be preferable. And the game says that the missions take place within the Solar System, yet the sky is cloudy... in space. Did we get a new nebula when I wasn't looking?

Anyway, aside from the minor stuff, this does look like something I'd have fun with, so I'll check it out.
I'm a Christian. Which (to these guys) is apparently the same thing.

I mean, it's not enough for them to have stock atheists vs. stock religious folks (already an indictment on an ideological baseline, painting one group as heroes and one as villains), but they have to go as far as referencing explicitly Judeo-Christian terminology (Sabbath, the ending monologue (roughly)), which leaves no doubt in the viewer's mind which real-life group is being painted up and pushed out to shoot at.

So unless the next game from these guys is "Atheists who act like a combination of Stalin and Nietzche," or something similar which demonstrates an equal-opportunity approach to lambasting, I'm calling this one like I see it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
omicron1 said:
Scars Unseen said:
omicron1 said:
I was sold right up until I read "fanatical religious group."

I don't tend to like games that treat me as the villain, and expect me to agree.
No sale.
You're a religious fanatic?

OT: Just a few minor nitpicks from a fan of the genre(nothing that would prevent me from buying the game)... I'm glad that this uses a first person perspective, but having a cockpit would help with the immersion. I'm not fond of the big glowing "LOOK AT ME!!!" indicators for the weak points. A simple reticle for lock-on would be preferable. And the game says that the missions take place within the Solar System, yet the sky is cloudy... in space. Did we get a new nebula when I wasn't looking?

Anyway, aside from the minor stuff, this does look like something I'd have fun with, so I'll check it out.
I'm a Christian. Which (to these guys) is apparently the same thing.

I mean, it's not enough for them to have stock atheists vs. stock religious folks (already an indictment on an ideological baseline, painting one group as heroes and one as villains), but they have to go as far as referencing explicitly Judeo-Christian terminology (Sabbath, the ending monologue (roughly)), which leaves no doubt in the viewer's mind which real-life group is being painted up and pushed out to shoot at.

So unless the next game from these guys is "Atheists who act like a combination of Stalin and Nietzche," or something similar which demonstrates an equal-opportunity approach to lambasting, I'm calling this one like I see it.
Uh-huh...

So should you also be offended because people thought the Spanish Inquisition is bad? A lot of bad things happened in the Crusades. Do you take that personally? How about the Salem witch trials? Doesn't that just burn you up(ugh.. bad pun)? And I'm sure you can't stand it when people bad mouth those Westboro Baptist guys... No? Well then why the heck would you get worked up about a fictional group from the future?

I swear, some people could get offended by their own noses...

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
How about the Salem witch trials? Doesn't that just burn you up(ugh.. bad pun)?
Not really a bad pun considering nobody was burned, most were hung.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this game. I just wonder how close I'll be able to get to the planets, and if they'll be to scale.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's no Tie-Fighter but then again, what is?
My one nit pick is that I like to see the cockpit vs this hud sort of thing but, few games seem to back that idea up.

Also I love your comment about "This is no StarFox on-rails crap..." because; damn right.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Oooooooh this looks super fun.

Didn't know SOL was a franchise, but I think buying this will make up for my ignorance.
This is the first game to bear that name. I'm sure Seamless would like SOL to be a franchise but I wouldn't call it that yet. Head over to Steam and buy it on Wednesday if you want to make that happen.

Greg
Weird, I honestly thought that there had been other games before, dealing more with RTS.

Jan 24, 2012
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments about our game.

Just to give you a little back story about the development of SOL. Our team is comprised of 6 devs and we've spent a little more than a year building this game. During this time we've had to learn UDK, build a game in a genre all but youra truly have never worked on before (I worked on Tachyon: The Fringe back in the day) and get the word out about it.

Our showing at PAX Prime was a resounding success so that definitely helped.

Anyways, we're incredibly proud of it's imminent release in Steam for the very consumer friendly price point of $9.99.

Oh and we're not done yet. Stay tuned to www.solexodus.com for news on planned content that will be added in the near future.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
AC10 said:
So it's just sequential combat missions and no open space exploring/trading?
Not really what I want in a space sim.
...That is the definition of a space sim, you are thinking of a space sandbox. A series of missions or stand-alone missions like X-Wing v Tie Fighter (Which, in fact, got a bad rap because it didn't have an overarching story until Balance of Power came out, even though I quite liked it).

gigastar said:
Why does everyone seem so quick to forget about X3: Terran Conflict, and its upcoming sequel X: Rebirth?
Because those aren't classic-style space sims, those are space sandboxes.

Christopher Dudgeon

Mar 24, 2010
Silvianoshei said:
AC10 said:
...That is the definition of a space sim, you are thinking of a space sandbox. A series of missions or stand-alone missions like X-Wing v Tie Fighter (Which, in fact, got a bad rap because it didn't have an overarching story until Balance of Power came out, even though I quite liked it).

gigastar said:
Why does everyone seem so quick to forget about X3: Terran Conflict, and its upcoming sequel X: Rebirth?
Damn it! NINJA'd!

too true man I was craving some Space Combat Sims for a while and so I decided to pick up the X series...... Now don't get me wrong they look fantastic but they are no Freespace or Freelancer or Tachyon or X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Sometimes you just want to get into a ship and go kill sh*t with a decent story line to go with it.

Trent Kama

Apr 4, 2010
I'm getting this as soon as possible. Tachyon: The Fringe was easily one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Christopher Stockman said:

Just to give you a little back story about the development of SOL. Our team is comprised of 6 devs and we've spent a little more than a year building this game. During this time we've had to learn UDK, build a game in a genre all but youra truly have never worked on before (I worked on Tachyon: The Fringe back in the day) and get the word out about it.

Anyways, we're incredibly proud of it's imminent release in Steam for the very consumer friendly price point of $9.99.

Oh and we're not done yet. Stay tuned to www.solexodus.com for news on planned content that will be added in the near future.
Appreciate you posting here. Will there be a playable demo?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Silvianoshei said:
AC10 said:

gigastar said:
Is there a reason Space Sim doesn't mean "Space Simulator"?
This is just the first time I've heard that distinction.

Freelancer and Starlancer seemed to be called space sims, but you could go anywhere and trade despite the focus being on combat for instance.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
AC10 said:
Is there a reason Space Sim doesn't mean "Space Simulator"?
This is just the first time I've heard that distinction.

Freelancer and Starlancer seemed to be called space sims, but you could go anywhere and trade despite the focus being on combat for instance.
It does mean space simulator. However, the distinction has to be made between games like Freelancer and games like Freespace, X-wing, etc. They were two different types of games. The former is a space sandbox, and the latter are space flight simulators.

Christopher Dudgeon

Mar 24, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Christopher Stockman said:

Appreciate you posting here. Will there be a playable demo?
The team are working on it. (Source from their website and a post half way down the page http://solexodus.com/2012/01/please-stand-by/ )