Solo: A Star Wars Story trailer revealed.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015

I am truly sorry to say this as my OP but, that was rather....meh.

I mean if it wasn't for Chewbacca and famous ships I would not be able to tell that this is a Star Wars movie. I mean the trailer music certainly did not give me that Star Wars feel.

And though I never read it, I feel the Old Expanded Universe did it better in telling Han's origin stoires prior to A New Hope, infact I am gonna read his Legends origin:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Solo/Legends

Sorry for the downer OP but I was not that impressed with this trailer.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
God it must be an absolute train-wreck. Imagine the poor editors told to make a min long trailer to sell the Han Solo movie during the Super Bowl, but please for the love of God don't use any of the scenes with Han Solo in it.

I read Alden Ehrenreich was so bad at acting they brought on acting coaches to the set to coach him through each and every line of dialogue, and this new trailer makes me believe it.
How much of the movie had to be reshot after a coach was brought it? I remember reading it was like 70-80%

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...was that space C'thulu at the end?

Anyway, not really onboard. I mean, I'll probably see it, but it doesn't look like a Star Wars film, or feel like one. If anything, it reminds me of Rogue One, and...y'know...

Silentpony said:
I read Alden Ehrenreich was so bad at acting they brought on acting coaches to the set to coach him through each and every line of dialogue, and this new trailer makes me believe it.
I'm skeptical of that. I saw Ehrenreich in Hail, Ceaser, and while I'm not a fan of that film, his acting wasn't the issue. If anything, I'd say it was pretty good, and given how many nominations he had for Best Supporting Actor in the film, I wasn't the only one.

I get that carrying a film is different from being a supporting character, but unless his acting abilities just disappeared after 2016, I think this is one rumor that has little substance to it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Well that is a quantifiable thing. When they brought on Ron Howard to do reshoots, part of that was hiring an acting coach for Ehrenreich. The part that's only rumor is the 70-80% part.
But seeings how reshoots were ordered, again, as late as January, its safe to say the movie is in trouble.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I am all for doing little spin-off Star Wars movies... Exploring parts of the universe that aren't about the galaxy's most messed up family...

And sure, Han 's origin is probably interesting to some people...
Certainly not me though...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm actually a little more optimistic after having seen that trailer. The surest sign of a terrible movie is a trailer that has obviously shown you ALL of the good stuff, because the movie is terrible and they had to draw you in SOMEHOW. The recent DC movies were all guilty of this... and were mostly considered terrible with only Wonder Woman managing to escape. This trailer hasn't seemed to fall into that trap, mostly because they really didn't show us much of anything at all. That's generally a much better sign.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I wasn't very interested before and I'm still not. The whole idea seems a bit ill conceived to me. I like Han just fine but I never felt like I needed to know what he was up to before New Hope. He was a gangster, he's flying a pimped freighter, he kept afloat smuggling stuff. Of all the things to make a Star Wars movie about this isn't the most interesting one. I didn't love Rogue One but it had new character and offered an interesting perspective on the world. If all the spin-offs are gonna be "This is what this guy you know was doing before the Orignal Trilogy!" it's gonna get really old really soon.

Plus... the singing cowboy from Hail Caesar! As Han and Emilia Clarke... you know, at all? I dunno, it doesn't click with me. But hey, maybe it's gonna be good. Last Jedi might very well be my second favourite Star Wars movie period.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Han is not a character that needs his history explored. If anything, I'd say that's part of his charm. You've always had just enough of Han Solo's past revealed that it spiked intrigue, but not so much as to make me go "Oh, I need to know more about that." Will I see it? Probably. At the cinema? Haha, nope.

I also can't help but feel that casting Ehrenreich against Glover is something of a fuck up. One is a guy who had a decent supporting role in Hail Caesar! and a smattering of stuff I've never seen or heard of; the other is a celebrity in his own right that just seems to ooze harm and charisma by default and a handful of respectable credits to his name. Not including his existing fan base through his music career, you've also got his run as Troy in community, Earn in Atlanta and his upcoming role in the Lion King. Out of these two, the former is supposed to play the charismatic, smirking rogue with a heart of gold.

On the bright side, next to Emilia Clarke everyone's acting will look lively. I love the girl, but damn she wooden.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
undeadsuitor said:
But what about Chewies family?

I want to know his origin story.
Chewie was out and about in the prequels, probably need to wait for a film going back a bit further for his origin story.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The trailer gets a shrug from me. It's not bad my any measure, but it's telling a story I've never been interested in hearing in the first place. Slapping a Star Wars logo onto it isn't going to get me invested, and after Rogue One, I've already been burnt once.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
undeadsuitor said:
Jadak said:
undeadsuitor said:
But what about Chewies family?

I want to know his origin story.
Chewie was out and about in the prequels, probably need to wait for a film going back a bit further for his origin story.
That was more a joke about the infamous star wars Christmas special, which had chewbaccas family (including a son named crunchie) celebrate life day
I thought his son was named Lumpy... or did he have more than one kid, I forget.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I'm still mostly just salty that we never got a proper Mass Effect style Han Solo; Intergalactic Smuggler rpg game at any point in the last 30 fucking years! This movie does not make up for missing out on that!