Solutions in games that made you feel really stupid

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
MYST.

Oh my God. You know how dumb I felt when I figured out you never even had to leave the damn island? Everything you needed was right there.

Also RIVEN.

The ridiculously difficult grid puzzle. It was a huge dome laid in with a little dome and a grid. And then you were given, like, seven marbles and you had to put the marbles in the right spaces on the grid. That was damn near impossible. There's no way you could get that. They give you, like, a hint. I was banging my head against a wall when I found that puzzle.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
All I can remember was that the puzzle was Silent Hill Homecoming. I think it was the generater puzzle when your in silent hill...yeah it was.

I thought it was some complex B,D,C,A puzzle thing, and when my friend (i was borrowing it from her) when she came over to help, it was a dumb ABCD puzzle and I had spent hours working on it. >_>

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hosker said:
Half-Life 2 made me feel stupid several times. They should really make it more obvious what it is you should do sometimes.

Portal as well. I got stuck right at the start, straight after you can make one portal.
I don't think your first statement is justified given what you say about Portal xD

OT: Some of the glyph puzzles in AC2 made me feel stupid.

The ones in Brotherhood? They were making puzzles and not even providing real solutions; once you get past the second one there's no rhyme, reason or actual logic to the fucking code wheel puzzles.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Normalgamer said:
Plugging the controller into the second port...
Second this one
I had reached the psychomantis boss stage in MGS without using any kind of help but then I had to use help because I was not able to kill him.
But still I felt I had accomplished something because I had took half of his health out WITH the first controller

northeast rower

Dec 14, 2010
Half Life 2- trying to find things to weight down some sort of counterweight contraption. Eventually I ended up throwing grenades in and letting the explosion propel the counterweight. Later I realized that there was a washing machine about five feet away from me.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Althocke said:
Recently played the trial for Limbo. There's a part where you come up to a box next to a pool of water. I figured you must have to ride the box over the water. About an hour later I gave up trying, so sure I was simply not balancing properly or something. My friend then told me I was supposed to pull the box back so I could reach a vine hanging from earlier on to climb up. I tried to use excuses, but everyone else I know who played it spotted the vine and figured it out instantly.
That took me a while as well.

Still what made me really feel stupid is the last puzzle is Another code : R . I tried ever weird move i could think of. Tried balancing it on my hand. Hard up and down movements. After getting really rally frustrated i figured out i had to place my wiimote upright on the floor(or some other stable object).

superdavo

Sep 1, 2010
I had exactly the same problem on Limbo; I was trying to ride the box across the water for bloody ages!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
MissShortosity said:
Lieju said:
In Prince of Persia: Sands of time, there is a part where you have spikes on the floor, and need to get on the ladder hanging from the ceiling. No matter how I tried, I didn't manage to jump on it, I always ended up on the wrong side of the ladder, and couldn't figure out how to jump on the other side.
And then, I finally accidentally noticed you could simply turn on the ladder after you jumped on it.
That EXACTLY. Aaah! So frustrating!! I spent probably about 20 minutes at it, using up all my sands, and then did the same as you :p I feel your pain!
Well, shared stupidity is only half of stupidity, or something.
Hopefully.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
baddude1337 said:
Uncharted 2, Limbo, but the one that sticks the most in my mind is the original MGS. I was pissed for hours trying to figure out what the colonel meant by Meryl's Codec is on the back of the CD case, and then I glanced at the case on the floor and realized he meant the game case.
Yea that part sucked because I lost my case - took me two days to find it :(

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
Well this didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine, and it was HI-larious. During Castlevania: Lords of Shadow my buddy calls me up and says he's stuck in a room with an un-openable door. So I looked up an FAQ for him and it literally said he had to blow up the door. Later he came to a room with a button on the floor that he couldn't press because all other buttons had to be punched and he couldn't punch down, so again I get him an FAQ which says hold RT and punch to punch the ground, and its a move you have from the start. I laughed and laughed and he felt like a tard.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Sonic three, those godamn spinning things. Ten years later I find out you can can move them with the d pad, you don't have to try to force them down by jumping.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
That one pipe in the beginning of half-life 2 that made you turn a wheel to raise a pipe with no indication that it was there.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
About every puzzle in limbo. You feel so stuck at the time, but when you figure it out, it's always head-smackingly obvious.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
Beyond Good and Evil. Powering that fucking elevator after fixing it and getting the fuse.

There were two fuses down in the generator room and every time you entered the room robot guards would spawn which you had to fight and it took forever and you would lose health each time, and I did it so much that I just started saving every time I wanted to go to the basement. I kept taking only 1 or both of the fuses alternating them so many times as the current still flowed in the basement and I thought it would continue up stairs where you needed it. The solution was to hit a powered cable above the elevator with your new disc throwing weapon you JUST got before the boss fight. I only figured that out by firing wildly at random things.

[Insert Name Here]

Nov 26, 2009
Spent easily half an hour (over 2 days, I got pissed at it) trying to figure out how to stack the crates in Half-Life 2 to reach a ladder. Little did I know that all I had to do was shoot the padlock off the cover blocking my way. Yeah. -.-

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I honestly can't think of any specific examples, but there have been plenty of games where I couldn't figure out a puzzle, or even where to go next, because I just wasn't seeing something on the screen. Maybe a ledge I had to jump to, or a doorway that didn't look like a doorway.

Another great example is a game like God of War, where you acquire a special power, and then right away you come upon a place where you need to use that power to proceed, and for some reason it just won't occur to me that I need that power, and I spend a while trying to find another way around.