Some choice driven story game recommendations please (PS4)

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I really enjoyed Until Dawn and would like a similar game. Does anyone have any recommends? I have already played quite a few choice driven ones including....

Life is strange
Heavy rain
Beyond: two souls
Until dawn
The walking dead

(So obviously not these ones. I've already played Telltale ones where choices don't matter but I'm not interested in those for this thread)

Please tell me what they are about as well. :)

Thanks everyone!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You pretty much played all the one on PS4, your best bet is probably to play PC visual novel, they typically don't need strong processing power, so even a 10+ year old computer can run them.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Meiam said:
You pretty much played all the one on PS4, your best bet is probably to play PC visual novel, they typically don't need strong processing power, so even a 10+ year old computer can run them.
That's all of them?!? Surely not! There are millions of games on PS4.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
You'll probably have to wait for Detroit: Become Human (the next game from the creators of Heavy Rain)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Supermassive Games, the studio behind Until Dawn is making another game of a similar make-up, but set in a crime setting. Don't know who's writing it though, because Larry Fessenden brought a lot of the charm to Until Dawn.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Telltale's Tales From the Borderlands is great, so is A wolf Among Us. The former requires no love for the IP whatsoever, it's far superior and better as a standalone experience.

What Remains of Edith Finch has been talked up a lot, it's on my list for later but I've heard it's highly recommended.

Maybe The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, I'm a little hesitant about but all in all the experience was appreciated. The ending is...ambivalent in execution.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Xsjadoblayde said:
Telltale's Tales From the Borderlands is great, so is A wolf Among Us. The former requires no love for the IP whatsoever, it's far superior and better as a standalone experience.

What Remains of Edith Finch has been talked up a lot, it's on my list for later but I've heard it's highly recommended.

Maybe The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, I'm a little hesitant about but all in all the experience was appreciated. The ending is...ambivalent in execution.
Hmm interesting, which is better out of the wolf among us and tales from the borderlands, in your opinion?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
A friend turned me onto the Danganronpa series a couple weeks back, but I haven't played (or bought it yet) so I can't really say how much choice there is involved. My friend described it as a visual novel plus murder mystery. He's not much at all into anime-esque things but he really enjoyed it if that might be a turn off for you. A lot of my friends really loved the Zero Escape series that has made it onto PS4. I haven't played them either because they weren't on a platform I had until very recently with PS4.

As another poster mentioned a few more Telltale games, which you can run through especially if you find them on sale, which happens quite a bit on PSN for like a whole pack of them. I really loved 1st season of The Walking Dead. I then played the 2nd season, A Wolf Among Us, and Tales from the Borderlands. I guess, they were all decent to good but not on par with the 1st Walking Dead. I think the Borderlands game edged out A Wolf Among Us for 2nd best of the 4 I played. One of my friends really like the Batman game, which he said is more of a Bruce Wayne story than a Batman story. The games are pretty much as good as the writing. I really wish Telltale would improve their engine and at least get to a Life is Strange level of quality with graphics, animations, and controls.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
dscross said:
Hmm interesting, which is better out of the wolf among us and tales from the borderlands, in your opinion?
It depends what mood is going to resonate more at the time, as they are similar enough in quality but not tone. Tales from the Borderlands leans well into dark comedy space adventure, while Wolf Among Us hovers above moody/gritty detective noir involving desperate fairytale characters in a more intimate environment. Both have their appreciated emotional highs and lows regardless of aforementioned genre, but the genre defines what balance of those to expect. Neither felt worse than the other. So I'd have to go with a 'depends on your present tastes and how you want to mostly feel from it.'

Wish I was better at this.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
If you want to expand your definition *ever* so slightly, Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn are PS4 exclusives with good stories, and the ability to define your character through dialogue to a certain extent. Plus they're both fun to play.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Kingjackl said:
If you want to expand your definition *ever* so slightly, Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn are PS4 exclusives with good stories, and the ability to define your character through dialogue to a certain extent. Plus they're both fun to play.
Danbo Jambo said:
Buy a 360/PC and play The Witcher 2 4 or 5 times.
are you given choices which change the plot in these?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Phoenixmgs said:
A friend turned me onto the Danganronpa series a couple weeks back, but I haven't played (or bought it yet) so I can't really say how much choice there is involved. My friend described it as a visual novel plus murder mystery. He's not much at all into anime-esque things but he really enjoyed it if that might be a turn off for you. A lot of my friends really loved the Zero Escape series that has made it onto PS4. I haven't played them either because they weren't on a platform I had until very recently with PS4.
I just checked these out. They look Very anime-ish and expensive. Zero Escape is 55 pounds on the PS store in the UK. Danganronpa is 35 quid, which is s little more reasonable. Maybe I'll look into them further to decide if they are worth it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
dscross said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I just checked these out. They look Very anime-ish and expensive. Zero Escape is 55 pounds on the PS store in the UK. Danganronpa is 35 quid, which is s little more reasonable. Maybe I'll look into them further to decide if they are worth it.
Buy physical and sell them if you end up not liking them or just after you finish them, they seem like the type of titles that'll hold their value. My friend that recommended Danganronpa went out of his way to say basically, "I don't care for anime at all but..." when talking about the game. My friends that did love Zero Escape are generally into anime (much more than me). I don't have a problem with anime style as long as it's good, the problem is for me that anime has the highest percentage of being straight crap than probably anything else ever so much so that lots of stuff regarded as masterpieces by the anime community (like 8+/10 average rating) I've found to be literally trainwreck bad (looking at you Elfen Lied). I'm definitely going to give Danganronpa a try myself.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
dscross said:
Kingjackl said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Witcher yes, Persona 5 sort of (it has good and bad endings and romance options, that's about it) and Horizon, well not really.

But you know, there are very few games promising the ability to "change based on how you play" that actually live up to that promise. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle for Telltale and it's contemporaries, the less said about Bioware's efforts the better, and while Witcher 2 may have bedazzled us with it's branching midgame, Witcher 3 proved itself the better game by telling one singular story really well instead of trying to tell multiple branching stories and have them become unengaging.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Phoenixmgs said:
dscross said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Buy physical and sell them if you end up not liking them or just after you finish them, they seem like the type of titles that'll hold their value. My friend that recommended Danganronpa went out of his way to say basically, "I don't care for anime at all but..." when talking about the game. My friends that did love Zero Escape are generally into anime (much more than me). I don't have a problem with anime style as long as it's good, the problem is for me that anime has the highest percentage of being straight crap than probably anything else ever so much so that lots of stuff regarded as masterpieces by the anime community (like 8+/10 average rating) I've found to be literally trainwreck bad (looking at you Elfen Lied). I'm definitely going to give Danganronpa a try myself.
Cheers! I do like anime on TV and in films but I've never really bought any anime style video games (except Jet Set Radio, but that's not really quite the same thing). I'm open to the idea though. However, I thought the ordinary movie style of Until Dawn and others suited the genre very well. I'll maybe get a physical copy, as you say,

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Kingjackl said:
dscross said:
Kingjackl said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Witcher yes, Persona 5 sort of (it has good and bad endings and romance options, that's about it) and Horizon, well not really.

But you know, there are very few games promising the ability to "change based on how you play" that actually live up to that promise. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle for Telltale and it's contemporaries, the less said about Bioware's efforts the better, and while Witcher 2 may have bedazzled us with it's branching midgame, Witcher 3 proved itself the better game by telling one singular story really well instead of trying to tell multiple branching stories and have them become unengaging.
Yeah I know there aren't many. I think Until Dawn did it extremely well, which is why I liked it so much. It's great knowing you have active control over outcomes. I appreciate to find any which are that good I'll need to wait for some future games, as other posters have said in this thread,

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Oh, there's also the Sherlock Holmes games. I played one case of Crimes and Punishments (PS+ freebie), it was alright so far.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
dscross said:
Kingjackl said:
Danbo Jambo said:
The Witcher 2 has the most concequence based plot changes I've ever known in a game. One choice changes the entire 2nd chapter in terms of what areas you have access to, what characters you enagage with, what quests you can play and who's side you are on.

So yes, very, very much so. In fact you've not even truly finished the game and revealed the full plot unless you've played through it at least twice IMO.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
That one isn't choice heavy. You don't really influence anything throughout the game. I loved it and I would definitely recommend it but I don't think it's what OP was asking for. Also, I actually loved the ending but I can definitely see how you can have mixed feelings about it. It...is a bit different than what you might expect. I honestly felt a bit strange at first but then I realised I still really liked it. At any rate, the game is still something worth playing and recommending.

OT: There is Blues and Bullets although I've only heard of it from a friend of mine - I don't think I've seen mentions of it otherwise, so it seems to be a bit "underground". It's supposed to be Telltale style. I had to google it to check if it's on PS4 and it is. Maybe you can give it a go.

Not exactly the same style of what you gave examples of but, if you haven't played them yet, there is also the Mass Effect series - you can make different choices at different times that do alter things. I honestly enjoyed the games more as a "choose your own adventure" type thing.

Monster Loves You! is a cute little game - it's fairly short and it has a bit of flexibility. You play as a bit of a cartoon-y monster - some mishap of limbs, beaks, tentacles and such in a society of similar monsters. There are also humans with which you can interact in the second half in the game. Your choices influence you, your society and eventually how the human/monster relationship ends up. The gameplay is pretty much entirely text-based - you click on stuff that gets you in a situation and then you choose from several responses. So, it's a bit visual novel-y. Or very much "choose your own adventure"-y. At any rate, it should be quite cheap and you can definitely get several playthroughs of it with different results.

Obscure is another game I know little of but it might be down your alley. It's a horror game and it's the only one I know if where you start with a cast of main characters and they can permanently die. I know little of Until Dawn and it may sound similar so it might be the second such game. There is also an Obscure 2 but I have no idea how and if the two are related (cast/plot-wise). The game was out on PS2 and I am not familiar if it's available on PS4 through some sort of backwards compatibility. It's really annoying to even check, since googling "obscure ps4" brings tons of unrelated results about obscure games, as opposed to Obscure the game.