Some computer help!

dj Facchiano

Feb 3, 2010
My desktop doesn't have a wireless adapter so I connected my laptop to it via ehternet and created a network bridge between them. My desktop's internet works fine except every 30 or so minutes I get the message "ip address conflict with another system on the network" and my desktop internet dies for like 40 seconds. now this normally this would be manageable except I play sc2 a lot and I really don't like getting dropped out of league matches. and No I cannot connect my desktop to my router, its to far away. Ive already tried manually changing the IP address of my desktop so it is static and different from my laptop. When I type in IPCONFIG in cmd on either machine they both show a different ip. This is really annoying and I want it to stop!
Thanks for any help

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Ohhhhhh. Now I get it.

You are using your laptop as a big wireless network card. I didn't get that at first.

I'll need to think on this a bit. You already know this configuration is "batty nuggets". You're effectively using your laptop as a gateway, or proxy server, for your desktop to communicate with another gateway (router). Yeah, its working, but the default windows configurations don't really expect this to happen.

If you can change your laptop's configuration (in Windows) to 'proxy server'. Then I think the interruptions should stop. I scraped by in my networking class, but I think I'm on the right track.

Also: are both machines using the same OS? If not, then problems may continue.

dj Facchiano

Feb 3, 2010
dj Facchiano said:
My desktop doesn't have a wireless adapter so I connected my laptop to it via ehternet and created a network bridge between them. My desktop's internet works fine except every 30 or so minutes I get the message "ip address conflict with another system on the network" and my desktop internet dies for like 40 seconds. now this normally this would be manageable except I play sc2 a lot and I really don't like getting dropped out of league matches. and No I cannot connect my desktop to my router, its to far away. Ive already tried manually changing the IP address of my desktop so it is static and different from my laptop. When I type in IPCONFIG in cmd on either machine they both show a different ip. This is really annoying and I want it to stop!
Thanks for any help
They are indeed both running windows 7 64 bit, Could you explain how to set my laptop to proxy server? Thanks for your input!

dj Facchiano

Feb 3, 2010
TheKramers said:
Have you tried running the laptop in safe mode with networking?
I know how to run it in safe mode, but what do you mean "with networking"? is this like an option i can switch on? thanks fo yo input :D

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
dj Facchiano said:
TheKramers said:
Have you tried running the laptop in safe mode with networking?
I know how to run it in safe mode, but what do you mean "with networking"? is this like an option i can switch on? thanks fo yo input :D
No, when you press and hold F8 before windows boots, you should get this screen:

simply choose safe mode with networking.

Honestly, I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a shot because a windows process might be what's causing the conflict.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
My apologies for not replying sooner.

Safe mode with networking is generally a troubleshooting tool. It allows IT-type personnel remote access to a workstation that is having problems. They can use it to run diagnostics remotely, re-install OS files from a central server, etc.

I'm still looking for the right information. I think either of two things can be done here:

1) changing a setting so that the network queries do not interfere with your application

2) changing settings so that the network queries stop

If you are able to use the Event Viewer, wait for one of these events, and then see if Event Viewer logged the event as a warning or an error. This would be useful to see what precisely is happening.

If you have not used the Event Viewer before, do not bother. It's a bit complex and I'd rather not confuse the issue.

In my opinion, Windows 7 oversimplified some of the networking settings. This makes it a bit difficult to tell what is going on, since it removes, hides, or relocates some of the neat status dialogues that XP had.

In the meantime, do the laptop and desktop belong to the same 'home group'?

I'm trying to find information on an ad hoc network, but my Win 7 Pro doesn't seem to give that option. Screwwy damn windows.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Play sc2 on your laptop
Move the router closer to the desktop
Buy a wireles adaptor for your desktop