Some good music.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Had this conversation a couple of days ago:

My gf's 18yo son: I really like this song...
...but he stole from the Fugees!

Me: ACTUALLY, they both stole from Enya, but she's not cool or hip enough for any of you to recognize, but you're all welcome.:cool:

Ok, just gotta say, recognising Enya is not cool or hip 😛

Edit: Ok, I misread that, I 'm a bit drunk.
Sadly, I'm old enough to remember when Enya first broke away from Clannad and went solo. I got her first albums when they were new releases.

And, seeing as how I have NEVER been cool or hip, I seem to prove Zykon's point. :rolleyes:

But, anyway, some more soft and beautiful music.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ok, just gotta say, recognising Enya is not cool or hip 😛

Edit: Ok, I misread that, I 'm a bit drunk.
Hard disagree there, pal. She makes some very beautiful music. Not everything has to be grating and in-your-face; sometimes you just need to chill and have some personal quite time, and she's offered it for decades.
Sadly, I'm old enough to remember when Enya first broke away from Clannad and went solo. I got her first albums when they were new releases.

And, seeing as how I have NEVER been cool or hip, I seem to prove Zykon's point. :rolleyes:
I can't go that far back (only found her in the '90s as a teenager,) but being "hip and cool" by popular standards (current or otherwise) has never been a thing I cared about. I just found it hilarious that some 18yo punk kid credited the Fugees (from an album that came out nigh a decade before he was even born) for a sample that actually originated almost TWO decades before he was born from an artist he'd probably scoff at, but he insists his musical tastes are broader, better, and more informed than mine simply because he listens to all the popular [literal] shit from all the popular genres he can find on the radio. I never thought I'd be "that" guy in my later years, but I see where people older than me were coming from when they said "kids these days are really stupid for how much they claim to know."

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
She makes some very beautiful music. Not everything has to be grating and in-your-face; sometimes you just need to chill and have some personal quite time, and she's offered it for decades.
Ah, but does any of that make it "cool" or "hip"?

Anyway, I should probably explain my original post a bit better.

As previously mentioned I was a bit drunk, so I misread you as saying (somewhat tongue in cheek) that your gf and her son weren't cool and hip enough to have heard of Enya and felt it deserved a (somewhat tongue in cheek) reply.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah, but does any of that make it "cool" or "hip"?

Anyway, I should probably explain my original post a bit better.

As previously mentioned I was a bit drunk, so I misread you as saying (somewhat tongue in cheek) that your gf and her son weren't cool and hip enough to have heard of Enya and felt it deserved a (somewhat tongue in cheek) reply.
My response to my gf's son was that Enya's music wasn't "cool or hip" enough that he'd have ever "lowered" himself to listen to her music despite some [relatively] current acts he idolizes having heard and been inspired by it since, y'know, it's Enya, and not overplayed in the mainstream circles he's siphoned his tastes from. Say what you want, but Enya's been sampled by a lot of popular artists outside of the niche New Age circle. I guess it's a testament to the mutual respect artists from all genres have for one another despite their disparate output, a mutual respect that doesn't often extend to the subsequent fanbases who would deride anything other than what "they" like, and when one of those types of people wants to get cocky, I like to remind them that the fences they build don't exist between those they build them around.

EDIT: my use of the words "hip" and "cool" was my being flippant since basically ALL that he listens to is consider largely popular (hip and cool) shit. No, Enya has never been either "hip" or "cool," but that doesn't mean the quality is not there for those willing to step away from the radio for any depth outside of their preferred fast food repertoire.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mike Shinoda with a new song! The song ain't new, but the video is. I'll still take it.

This song here is new, though! How did I miss this?

Unreleased songs from Meteora.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oval make tickly ear plinks

Ah the early days of electro music experimentation must've been fun.
Oval is an electronic music group founded in Germany in 1991 by Markus Popp, Sebastian Oschatz, Frank Metzger and Holger Lindmüller. The group pioneered glitch music, writing on CDs to damage them and produce music with the resulting fragments.[1] The project has been a solo venture by Popp since the departure of other members in 1995.

History
Oval was founded in 1991 by Markus Popp, Sebastian Oschatz, Frank Metzger, and Holger Lindmüller. Disdaining the use of synthesizers, Oval instead deliberately mutilated CDs by writing on them with felt pens, then processed samples of fragmented sounds to create a very rhythmic electronic style.[1]

Holger Lindmüller left about 1993, and Oval became a trio at that time. Oschatz and Metzger left the group in 1995, with Popp continuing under the Oval name. After a series of releases on Thrill Jockey and Form & Function in the late 1990s and early 2000s Oval was on hiatus until 2010, when the EP Oh was released.[2] The first Oval album in almost a decade, titled O, was released later the same year, on Thrill Jockey. In March 2013, Oval released a sixteen-track album titled Calidostópia!, a project was funded by the Goethe Institute and the Cultural Foundation of the State of Bahia.[3] Later that same year he released VOA (2013), an album that also emerged from the collaboration with singers and musicians from South America.

In 2016, Popp started his own label, UOVOOO. Its first release was French artist Mei's twelve-track album Partura and the second being Oval's eleven-track album Popp.

Downloaded this lil bop on me phone.

Missed the whole Chem Bros moment back in the day, so just now catching up on them and the remixes they inspired. So far all the remixes for this track I found have been lacking tho, despite having perfect base foundations for euphoric sick drops.
-

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oval make tickly ear plinks
Oval is incredible. Been a fan for years.

Missed the whole Chem Bros moment back in the day, so just now catching up on them and the remixes they inspired. So far all the remixes for this track I found have been lacking tho, despite having perfect base foundations for euphoric sick drops.
The Chemical Brothers were very much a "miss" for me even back in the '90s. They dragged too much of that "we wanna be MTV famous" vibe with them, and it seeped into their music. It's not ALL bad; there was definitely some talent at work, but it sounded too try-hard mainstream to be genuine artistry. Far be it from me to decide what a given, successful artist considers the best use and example of their talent, but the Chem Bros. didn't impress me. They had a couple of good tracks, but on the whole, I basically glossed over them while the world at large ate them up.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
The Chemical Brothers were very much a "miss" for me even back in the '90s. They dragged too much of that "we wanna be MTV famous" vibe with them, and it seeped into their music. It's not ALL bad; there was definitely some talent at work, but it sounded too try-hard mainstream to be genuine artistry. Far be it from me to decide what a given, successful artist considers the best use and example of their talent, but the Chem Bros. didn't impress me. They had a couple of good tracks, but on the whole, I basically glossed over them while the world at large ate them up.
Chemical brothers were one of those bands I liked for about a year after leaving school and then dropped and never listened to again. Most stuff I used to listen to I might still have a nostalgic play of once in a while, but absolutely zero desire with chemical brothers. Might be partially due to too many shitty comedowns with them on in in the background but I wasn't a fan of any of the 90's big beat stuff, so maybe it was just a bit of an anomaly, I liked them because they were there, until I realised I actually didn't like them. Who can tell really, they were some mixed up years.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Chemical brothers were one of those bands I liked for about a year after leaving school and then dropped and never listened to again. Most stuff I used to listen to I might still have a nostalgic play of once in a while, but absolutely zero desire with chemical brothers. Might be partially due to too many shitty comedowns with them on in in the background but I wasn't a fan of any of the 90's big beat stuff, so maybe it was just a bit of an anomaly, I liked them because they were there, until I realised I actually didn't like them. Who can tell really, they were some mixed up years.
I can sympathize with this sentiment. I listened to the Chemical Brothers in the '90s because they were everywhere and you couldn't escape them as a fan of electronic music (particularly here in the States where the most popular shit is basically all you can readily get.) Then my tastes refined; I got used to paying the price for much better imports, and I realized I really didn't like them.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

I don't think Pokemon would have been nearly as popular if the music hadn't been so good. It's kind of funny. You are fighting a little kid with, like, a single caterpie or something, and the music comes out roaring like this is a tremendous battle to the death against a powerful opponent. It feels so intense. Imagine how dull it would be if the game was playing appropriate music for each match. Considering most trainers suck and you can beat the game pretty much by mashing B with your starter pokemon, it'd be pretty boring.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oval is incredible. Been a fan for years.

Ah yeah I was too young and unaware of music even being a thing with choice outside of radio around the time they were popular, so no idea what any mainstream was at the time and am not even sure if they took off in the UK at all: only heard their repetitive 'hey boy/hey girl' song on radio and that was it, nothing more was said or played. It's mere curiosity for what was ignored at the time essentially. And for sure there's a lot of basic uninspired disposable music in the discography I've heard so far, but still some pleasant surprises along the way with the newer outputs - it's a cultural dredging process to find the few gems and release the rest back unto the seas of time! 😉

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah yeah I was too young and unaware of music even being a thing with choice outside of radio around the time they were popular, so no idea what any mainstream was at the time and am not even sure if they took off in the UK at all: only heard their repetitive 'hey boy/hey girl' song on radio and that was it, nothing more was said or played. It's mere curiosity for what was ignored at the time essentially. And for sure there's a lot of basic uninspired disposable music in the discography I've heard so far, but still some pleasant surprises along the way with the newer outputs - it's a cultural dredging process to find the few gems and release the rest back unto the seas of time! 😉
State-side, electronic music was (is) still very niche, so when someone like The Chemical Brothers came around with catchy, danceable earworms and managed some notoriety on MTV, they hit us like "OMFG!! THIS IS SO NEW AND DIFFERENT!! PLAY THIS EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME!!" when one could easily find much more interesting music with any effort. See The Crystal Method, Daft Punk, Moby, Fat Boy Slim, etc.; there are tons of artists who made great music until popular culture soaked them up, and every release since "featured" someone already popular and readily digestible making the guise of music a front for making money. My effort was trips to local record shops and shopping online BEFORE shopping online was the norm.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I can sympathize with this sentiment. I listened to the Chemical Brothers in the '90s because they were everywhere and you couldn't escape them as a fan of electronic music (particularly here in the States where the most popular shit is basically all you can readily get.) Then my tastes refined; I got used to paying the price for much better imports, and I realized I really didn't like them.
It's a shame, there are some really, really good early techno artists from America on American labels and I was probably finding them more easily and paying less for them in the music exchange in Camden than you would have been able to in the US.