Some one help me get into Deus Ex

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
Background info

Im not a huge fan of shooters and i generally suck at them.

Im luke warm on stealth games with the exception of Metal Gear and Tenchu a few years back. I also loved the Hitman games.

I love RPGs but mostly of the bio ware or Japanese type, although i did enjoy Fallout enough to finish it but not enough to buy new vegas.

I have not played any of the prior Deus Ex games.

Currently i am stuck on the second mission trying to sneak into the police dept but I cant even get past the first room and frankly im tired of trying. However i keep hearing how good this game is but im starting to see that im too old to be so damn patient waiting on cameras to move etc. Should i just trade this in and cut my losses or keep fighting through the boredom and frustration to get to the good stuff.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If you've got to the police station and you're still not having fun then it might be time to give up. The rest of the game is essentially "more of that".

To be honest, if you're not into shooters or stealth games then I'm not sure why you would buy DE:HR since it's, y'know... a shooter/stealth hybrid, albeit one with RPG elements.

Oh, if it helps, you can just talk your way into the station. Speak to the guy at the front desk. If you can convince him to let you in then you'll be able to wander around freely.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Talk to the guy at the front counter, and convince him to let you in.
After that, you can just walk right into most areas you need to go .. the cameras won't even notice you unless they see you hacking or somesuch.

Sheamus

Mar 28, 2009
I did the same thing as you, I didn't even see the guy behind the counter at first and was equally frustrated, to the point of killing half of the police in the station. But I reloaded an old save and noticed him the second time and hated myself for all the time that I wasted.

The game gets better in my opinion, I didn't focus on stealth or on getting the no kill achievement as that would make things even more frustrating. But out of everything so far, I'm not quite done yet. Nothing was as tough as trying to break my way into that police station.

Mar 30, 2010
Stop trying to sneak in through the front door where all the guards are. Off the top of my head there are three ways into the police station: via the front door but you have to persuade the desk sergeant to let you in (fairly easy as he pretty much tells you which conversation options to pick - "I need to hear you say you forgive me, Jensen!"), sneak in through the air vent system around the side of the police station, and break in through the basement (accessible from the sewers). Deus Ex is very much a game where exploration pays off - the shortest path is, in this game, almost never the best.

And [user]Zhukov[/user] is right, if you're not clicking with the game by the second mission, maybe it just isn't your thing.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
feeqmatic said:
...but im starting to see that im too old to be so damn patient...
What the what? You're supposed to get MORE patient as you age, not LESS patient. You're doing it wrong! It's your reflexes that are supposed to decline.

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
feeqmatic said:
...but im starting to see that im too old to be so damn patient...
What the what? You're supposed to get MORE patient as you age, not LESS patient. You're doing it wrong! It's your reflexes that are supposed to decline.
That seems like it would be the case, but as i get old i dont have time to invest chunks of time into a game that i dont find instantly rewarding on some level. Its weird but it will make sense maybe when you get older.

Hitman was a great balance between patience and reward in my opinion. It was very open but still linear in terms of its mission. I really hate games that are open world but there isnt any thing to do in it but walk from mission to mission. But mostly i was just not up for dieing a billion times and waiting for the death screen to reload for me.

I went a head and just traded it in towards Portal 2. Thanks for the advice guys.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
feeqmatic said:
That seems like it would be the case, but as i get old i dont have time to invest chunks of time into a game that i dont find instantly rewarding on some level. Its weird but it will make sense maybe when you get older.
Pfft. Don't talk to me about old! I was waxing nostalgic about M.U.L.E. just a few posts ago.