Some Pre 2000 PC game recommendations

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on a bit of an old school pc gaming binge right now and I'd like some of you to tell me your favourites. so I can add them to my collection. You'll probably mention some that I have already, but I want to hear your favourites anyway.

PS - Discwold Noir and Blade Runner are two of the best PC games ever made. True story.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Masters of Orion 2. One of the best PC games I have ever played. Just don't get 3, its a total letdown by comparison. Also, get a usb flightstick... and any flight sim or space/starfighter game just destroys flight games that are on console. And most are pre 2000. And Ultima 7, the Skyrim of 1992.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
If you like strategy games, the Homeworld series comes to mind. You can buy the Remastered version through Steam, it comes with the original, unaltered games. Homeworld: Cataclysm is available through GOG.

The X-wing series also comes to mind. X-wing is great, TIE Fighter is better. Again, GOG's got you covered.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Everything you need is right here. [https://www.gog.com/games?release=p2000&sort=bestselling&page=1]

Specifically adjusted to be pre-2000 as well. Each one has several reviews as well, so you can get a perfect idea if it's up your alley or not.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Squilookle said:
Everything you need is right here. [https://www.gog.com/games?release=p2000&sort=bestselling&page=1]

Specifically adjusted to be pre-2000 as well. Each one has several reviews as well, so you can get a perfect idea if it's up your alley or not.
Aside from that, there's also the following that won't appear on that list for a variety of reasons:
-Baldur's Gate (You can only buy the Enhanced Edition these days)
-Planscape: Torment (see above)
-Monkey Island 1+2 (see above)
-Full Throttle (see above)
-Day of the Tentacle (see above)
-Grim Fandango (see above)
-Half-Life (not on GoG)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
And I forgot, if you like westerns... and shooters. Lucasarts' Outlaws, the best western shooter on PC... maybe in any format. You can get it on gog. But if you can find it I'd actually suggest getting the CD if it is in any kind of decent condition at all. Mine will actually STILL install and work properly, even on Win 10. AND the great soundtrack is on the disc, in CD format. Meaning the game data is on track 1, but from track 2 on it will play on any cd player. Or just get it on gog and the soundtrack is on youtube.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Fallout 1! But leaves the sequel in the dumpster where it belongs

Herectic and Hexen, Doom now comes with magic. Dark Forces if you need space magic

Red Alerts for some zany FMV.

Heroes of might and magic, even going back to Kings Bounty.

Also, why are you limited to PC games?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
trunkage said:
Fallout 1! But leaves the sequel in the dumpster where it belongs

Herectic and Hexen, Doom now comes with magic. Dark Forces if you need space magic

Red Alerts for some zany FMV.

Heroes of might and magic, even going back to Kings Bounty.

Because you can't wrangle affordable backwards compatibility out of console like you can with PC, making it the platform of choice for retrogaming. Or at least that's my guess. And yes, Dark Forces. But that's pre-space magic... making it the BEST of the Dark Forces franchise. Before they added in the lazersword melee and force junk. And its the same engine as Outlaws, that I mentioned earlier. It is great.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
-Command and Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
-Command and Conquer: Red Alert
-Diablo
-Doom
-Marathon
-StarCraft
-Warcraft II

Kyrian007 said:
Because you can't wrangle affordable backwards compatibility out of console like you can with PC, making it the platform of choice for retrogaming.
If I want to play a game from the 90s, I can get any 90s console I own, boot it up, and play. If I wanted to do the same for the PC, I'd have to jump through hula hoops due to compatability issues. That list of games I made above? Good luck getting Marathon, Diablo, or Warcraft II to work on a modern day PC, because you'll need it.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
trunkage said:
For the purposes of this thread. I know a lot of the console games I like from that era anyway. I pretty much have them all.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
If I want to play a game from the 90s, I can get any 90s console I own, boot it up, and play. If I wanted to do the same for the PC, I'd have to jump through hula hoops due to compatability issues. That list of games I made above? Good luck getting Marathon, Diablo, or Warcraft II to work on a modern day PC, because you'll need it.
It's easy if you know how mate. Lol. It's part of the fun for me, getting them running. There's GOG, virtual machines (that's how I run Blade Runner and Discworld Noir), Steam, Mac Versions (as I have a Macbook and run windows via bootcamp), Dosbox, Scummvm, patches. So many options these days. There are loads of ways. But those ones you mention just boot straight up in Windows 10 with the versions I have to be honest. No issues. Think I got them from old-games.com

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Rangaman said:
I know it came out in 2002 but Neverwinter Nights really does make BG obsolete in pretty much every way. Also, THAC0 is awful.

OP: Here's the highlights.

Unreal Tournament: GOTY Edition
Riven
Elder Scrolls I/II
Heretic/Hexen
Quake I/II/III
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Thief: Gold
Doom I/II (I mean, really. This one should be obvious)
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Descent

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Arnoxthe1 said:
Rangaman said:
I know it came out in 2002 but Neverwinter Nights really does make BG obsolete in pretty much every way. Also, THAC0 is awful.

OP: Here's the highlights.

Unreal Tournament: GOTY Edition
Riven
Elder Scrolls I/II
Heretic/Hexen
Quake I/II/III
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Thief: Gold
Doom I/II (I mean, really. This one should be obvious)
I bloody love all the old thief games. Is the first one your favourite?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
dscross said:
I bloody love all the old thief games. Is the first one your favourite?
You're gonna hate me for this but I never could get into the Thief games although I loved the dialogue and writing and I absolutely see why they were good. I'm more of a kick-the-door-down kind of person even if I'm usually a little more tactical about it.

Also, sorry. Added Descent and Raptor to the post when you responded.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Descent. It's like the developers saw Doom and thought to themselves: what if Doomguy was in zero gravity?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009

It's not for everyone... but if it is for you it is so fucking amazing. You can pick it up for free, but it's so much easierto just pay like $2 on GOG (just install on C: for your own sanity).

You will get a ridiculous number of hours of gamelay out of it.

Like playing as the Allies on Veteran you're probably looking at over 100 battles over the entirety of the Operation Market Garden granmd campaign. Strong emphasis on historical recreation of battlefields (so much so playing the Germans is way easier because, you know, history) ... and the campaign is so bloody complex.

Like this game ... it's not just victory or defeat. Some maps and battles you simply can't win ... but you can force a stalemate, you can hold parts of it, etc. Persistent terrain scarring and the variable nature of assaults (after each battle you slect the ceasefire period, the lowest number of hours is how long untilthe next fight over the same map) can turn battlelines on maps into debris strewn streets with blasted houses that once were great vantage points into merely vision occulting wrecks after multiple battles are fought to hold them.

It's just ... it's probably the best tactical war game I have ever played.

Your soldiers will refuse your orders, their morale will break and they'll rout, sometimes in certain conditions they'll become 'heroic' ....

Your orders are more 'suggestions' that soldiers will do if they're capable. In the right place mentally and physically. Soldiers have names. And if you keep them alive they will accrue experience. Squads get whittle down through the course of multiple engagements, forcing you to let go of squads to increase squad slots, or simply because they are no longer viable fighting units. You simply need more soldiers as fights can turn into multiple map, multile engagement actions ofattrition you just need to suffer.

Honourable mentions;

MechCommander Gold (you can play it for free)

Jagged Alliance 2 (All around awesome)

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
come on, almost a full page of reply, and nobody said X-Com, X-Com terror from the deep and X-Com Apocalypse ?

also the Wing Commander series, and the spin off privateer, but not the second one, the second one is trash.

Magesty is fun but weird

Lord of the realm 2 and lord of magic