Something cool you know.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
windlenot said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
The meaning of life is 42.
Is that from something? I've heard so many people say that... I'm starting to proclaim it as truth...
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I do believe.

Which is another cool thing I know!

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
windlenot said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Is that from something? I've heard so many people say that... I'm starting to proclaim it as truth...

A cool thing I know is that I have not seen too many movies. I'll have to check that out sometime, hah, along with plenty others...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The most succulent piece of meat on a human is the muscle between your thumb and pointer finger. Don't ask how I know that...

It is possible to lick your elbow, I've seen it done, TWICE

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Stanley Kubrick's film, Dr. Strangelove, apparently has some truth to it. There was a real and actual Russian Doomsday Device in existence. It was, wisely, never employed, and THANK GOD FOR THAT.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Whenver a person reaches past 100, they are called a Centenarian.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The cracking of a whip is actually a miniature sonic boom, as its tip briefly breaks the sound barrier.

Kiytan

Feb 23, 2008
Kongs roar in the original king kong is a lions and a tigers roar played together...backwards.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Immigrants to the US for about thirty years were greeted in the nineteenth century, not by the Statue of Liberty, but by a hotel in the shape of and elephant, which doubled as a brothel, on Coney Island.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
windlenot said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
windlenot said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:

A cool thing I know is that I have not seen too many movies. I'll have to check that out sometime, hah, along with plenty others...
To be fair, it's not the meaning of life. It's the answer to the Question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Unfortunately, no-one knew what the Question actually was.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
More than half the cost of building a rocket engine is making a turbopump which can feed the engine bell fast enough to produce thrust.

monkey-skitz 91

Apr 16, 2010
one of my best mates has been texting another of my closest friends asking her if she wants to meet up at a hotel for a night for some you know what ;) only thing is, he used to be with her sister, and hes now got another gf anyway. gossip much?

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Ants can go without breathing for several weeks, so it is nearly impossible to drown them.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
In the end the most important thing
is that we never forget.
The end of a shoelace is called the aglet.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
kayisking said:
Ants can go without breathing for several weeks, so it is nearly impossible to drown them.
?!?!?!?! Tell that to all my drowned queens!

OT: Robin Hood was in reality a shit archer, by modern standards he was only 1st Class (from bottom: 3rd, 2nd, 1st, Bowman, MB, GMB).

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
kayisking said:
?!?!?!?! Tell that to all my drowned queens!

OT: Robin Hood was in reality a shit archer, by modern standards he was only 1st Class (from bottom: 3rd, 2nd, 1st, Bowman, MB, GMB).
Did you use poison, because otherwise they may have just been unconscious. To save oxygen these things fall asleep almost immediatly and don't wake up until they have spent some time in the fresh air (hour or so).

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
Light travels very quickly, but it doesn't travel instantly. The delay between the light reflecting off of the object and hitting your eye, in a way, means that everything you see is from the past.

Also, there is a parasite in fish, Cymothoa exigua, that enters the fish through the gills and attaches itself to the base of the tongue to feed on blood. The tongue eventually atrophies and dies away due to blood loss, but the parasite replaces it as an actual, functional tongue.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
kayisking said:
Did you use poison, because otherwise they may have just been unconscious. To save oxygen these things fall asleep almost immediatly and don't wake up until they have spent some time in the fresh air (hour or so).
Yeah, I know, they're surprisingly water resistant (one species migrates by forming a writhing islet and jumps in the water, pretty cool watching that in high speed). A couple of the nests that a colleague works with (I tend to work with queenless colonies) swarmed and the lesser queens just committed suicide.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
There is a plant called Arabidopsis thaliana that has a gene, when there is a mutation in that gene, the plant grows multiple stamens (male genitals) in their flowers. They called this gene the Superman Gene.

Now, there is another gene in this plant that suppresses the Superman Gene.
They called it the Kryptonite gene.

fruit-fly with a mutation in the Ken and Barbie gene lack external genitalia.

Fruitflies with a mutation in this gene are especially sensitive to alcohol, it's name; Cheap Date Gene.

Another gene was dubbed Ring. Was it because of the protein's shape? Nope. It stands for:
"Really Interesting New Gene".