Something Horrible Just Came To Me About Dragon Ball (Z)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
In the series it's mentioned that, originally, Goku was a HORRIBLE child.

Like, evil and violent, and the like.

BUT he suffered a fall that caused BRAIN damage...and then turned into a 'good boy'.

So the whole damn DB universe hinges on an evil brat becoming good because he got all 'derp'.

Wow.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I dunno, Saiyans are pretty resilient, I doubt a fall would have given him brain damage, especially because we're dealing with anime rules here. Besides Goku is actually pretty intelligent, he just really embraces on his silly side rather than his more serious one. If anything the bonk on the head gave him the attitude adjustment that grandpa Gohan just didn't have the heart to give the kid himself.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Its alright dude, I always used to feel something horrible when I came to dragon ball z. BAM.

But seriously, I was always under the impression that he was supposed to have lost his memory about whatever crazy violence message the pod thing was feeding to him the whole trip. I thought the whole "wake up, Kakarot. Destroy all lifeforms" thing (that I did not have to look up to quote properly if you were wondering) was supposed to imply some level of subliminal programming happened on the trip over to ensure he would actually act violently when the pod landed.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Hmm..interesting. There always was a limit on how much of his antics in the original dragon Ball could be attributed to isolation from civilization.

I am going to stick with the fall just knocked out the feral instinct though.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I Suggest reading dragonball multiverse if you're interested in stuff like that. it's filled with a bunch of what if scenarios

in fact this is what would happen if he didn't hit his head according to the comic http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-580.html

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't think the brain injury did anything but knock the "kill all humans" programming out of him.

It's just... he never had much in the way of schooling, and considering how well plan "punch bad guy in the head" worked out for him, saw no reason to learn. That said, I don't think Goku lost his violent streak either. I mean, the number of bad decisions that get made in that how because he just had to get his fight on and thought everybody else liked fighting as much as he did?

Almost as bad as Vegeta.

Said brain trauma does tie into my favorite continuity error in the show though. In Dragonball, Roshi didn't know Son Gohan had adopted a child as a grandson. Total ignorance of Goku's existence. Cut to Dragonball Z, and all of a sudden he's rounting this horrific childhood injury Goku had.

Continuity is a ***** to keep straight, but having to shift gears from "semi-feral child based on Sun Wukong" to "aggressive Superman-esque alien fighter" was hard on the clutch.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No, I think he's brain-damaged too. He doesn't think things through and he has been called on it.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Im more worried about the fact that training in DBZ is so effective in Saiyans that it implys Goku must have really been lazy during dragonball.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh I forgot about that. I wonder if Xenoverse or Dragonball Online cover on an alternative timeline should he didn't get hit on the head (conquer Earth as originally planned?).

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Canonically I think that just made him lose his memory which basically reset the violence conditioning he received as an infant. But I like the severe brain damage interpretation more. For me it is not so much that he became a good boy when he got derpy. Let me see if I can explain.

His violence/kill everything conditioning was based on Sayan cultural ideals such as honor, duty, pride, classism, inherent superiority, etc. While a more "complex" mind might get caught up in these ideas, post damage Goku could see them for what they really are - baseless prejudice and pointless grandstanding. His "simple" mind could see the truth that more "complex" and clouded minds like Vegita never could.

It means that one of the most celebrated, iconic, and powerful fictional characters ever is what we would call disabled (Which sounds ridiculous when applied to a character like Goku.) This brain damage was shown to be a major influence on his life (as major brain damage always is) but did not show Goku as a slave to this damage as is so common, but gave him full agency and in no way dwelt on him as a victim of circumstance. And it also shows this ostensibly handicapped individual becoming the most heroic and powerful person in the universe instead of the usual victim to be pitied.

I know it was a hand wave retcon and I am reading a ton into this that really isn't there, but if you do subscribe to the brain damage interpretation the result is actually incredibly positive interpretation of a disabled character.

P.S. I hope I used to preferred terms right, I tried to look it up but I found somewhat conflicting information on the subject.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
tf2godz said:
in fact this is what would happen if he didn't hit his head according to the comic http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-580.html
That's a fun comic, never seen it before. Yeah, DBZ Earth without a good Goku is a bleak place to think of indeed.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Okay, I require some clarification on that "conditioning". I know that Saiyans in general are warriors and those first three might easily apply to everyone, but weren't Goku and Bardock more or less common soldiers who didn't get the superiority complex? Or at least not the extent of Vegeta...

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Auberon said:
Okay, I require some clarification on that "conditioning". I know that Saiyans in general are warriors and those first three might easily apply to everyone, but weren't Goku and Bardock more or less common soldiers who didn't get the superiority complex? Or at least not the extent of Vegeta...
My understanding is that All Saiyans think themselves superior to all others, and Vegita and the other high ranking Saiyans are the best of the Saiyans. There are layers of superiority complex going on here.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I have heard of brain damage victims waking up with different personalities. I guess we all just decided it was for the best. There are a few people I know who probably would have benefited from being dropped on their head as a child.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
tf2godz said:
I Suggest reading dragonball multiverse if you're interested in stuff like that. it's filled with a bunch of what if scenarios

Hmm, I've never heard of this. I'll just have a quick look.

*100 pages later*

Oh god! This is just like TvTropes all over again!

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
I dunno, Saiyans are pretty resilient, I doubt a fall would have given him brain damage, especially because we're dealing with anime rules here. Besides Goku is actually pretty intelligent, he just really embraces on his silly side rather than his more serious one. If anything the bonk on the head gave him the attitude adjustment that grandpa Gohan just didn't have the heart to give the kid himself.
There was some core mental conditioning that was erased. Remember. Goku was also as a baby very weak by Saiyan standards so the fall may have done more damage to him than it would a normal baby. I mean his powerlevel at birth was like 5 or so. Now you have Saiyans like Brolly that are the opposite extreme Brolly being born with a power level of 15K. Which to put it into perspective was around Vegeta's Power level when he first fought Goku on earth. Vegeta was by saiyan power standards considered Super Elite.

BUt yeah. What you need to remember is that Toriyama like many MAnga writers made lots of stuff up on the fly. DBZ was never planned or conceptualized when he was doing Dragon ball.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
To be fair Goku is not human. We're applying human knowledge of medicine to an alien. For all we know a similar outcome might have happened without head injury or something else.

You take basically a wolf, strand it in the middle of nowhere with a kindly old man (who is badass enough to control the creature) and it becomes domesticated. It still wants to run around and hunt, as it has instincts but it's sociable to people.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Tanis said:
In the series it's mentioned that, originally, Goku was a HORRIBLE child.

Like, evil and violent, and the like.

BUT he suffered a fall that caused BRAIN damage...and then turned into a 'good boy'.

So the whole damn DB universe hinges on an evil brat becoming good because he got all 'derp'.

Wow.
You got it right! Well, I don't know if he can be qualified as a brat, since being evil was the normal behaviour of Saiyans

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
{shrug} That didn't bother me nearly as much as things like Yajirobe enthusiastically cooking and eating a clearly sentient being after he killed it.