Something new you will do

Xian_Frost

Jul 18, 2010
So what is something new that you plan to do soon?

I plan on getting started on the first Dresden Files book and plugging up my old PS2 to finish Final Fantasy 12.

I've heard good things about that series and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the book. I enjoyed FF12 but it's just so long and I never finished it.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm going to play Civilisation 5.

It will be my first foray into the series and will be the first turn based strategy game I've played in a long time.

Any tips for a Civ newb? :D

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Learn to sew.
I never thought I would need to sew but we're broke and some of my favourite trousers have bust a seam.
I know enough about sewing to know it's an easy fix. But I can't sew.

Xian_Frost

Jul 18, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I have never played the Civilization games but I hear mastering mining and Iron Working is a good backbone for a beginning game. Good luck jumping into a strategy game!

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

It will be my first foray into the series and will be the first turn based strategy game I've played in a long time.

Always assume that you're going to be invaded. Try and make a steady alliance early on. Expect the AI to cheat. Don't piss off Gandhi.

Dec 14, 2009
Xian_Frost said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I have never played the Civilization games but I hear mastering mining and Iron Working is a good backbone for a beginning game. Good luck jumping into a strategy game!
Thanks for the tip :D

Hal10k said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Always expect to be invaded. Try and make a steady alliance early on. Expect the AI to cheat. Don't piss off Gandhi.
Ah yes, I remember hearing a lot about the Gandhi incident :D

Xian_Frost

Jul 18, 2010
Phasmal said:
Learn to sew.
I never thought I would need to sew but we're broke and some of my favourite trousers have bust a seam.
I know enough about sewing to know it's an easy fix. But I can't sew.
Always make sure that when you sew that the pants are inside out and to use thread that is close to the same color. If you're sewing jeans my mom recommends that you use thick thread like those on a carpet.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Hal10k said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Always expect to be invaded. Try and make a steady alliance early on. Expect the AI to cheat. Don't piss off Gandhi.
It's not just an incident. They literally geared his AI so he's most likely to acquire nukes first. Gandhi is not a leader you want on your bad side.

ReadyAmyFire

May 4, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:

Before you start playing, make sure you have nothing important to do for the next 2 months. Nothing induces procrastination quite like Civ.

As for myself: I hope to make a start on fencing, German and CFD within the next 12 months.

Dec 14, 2009
Hal10k said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Hal10k said:
Daystar Clarion said:

It's not just an incident. They literally geared his AI so he's most likely to acquire nukes first. Gandhi is not a leader you want on your bad side.
I'm not sure if that's hilarious or terrifying :D

ReadyAmyFire said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Before you start playing, make sure you have nothing important to do for the next 2 months. Nothing induces procrastination quite like Civ.
How addictive could it be?

[sub]His final words were...[/sub]

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Completing a PC game.

Honestly, I'm stuck in a town with nothing to do for three months. There's little else new I can do.

Now, which one will it be, now I've got my mouse so I don't have to struggle with the damn laptop touchpad? Which ancient PC game that my intergrated piece of wet cardboard can run will I complete first? Dawn of war, one unit whole blood, ghost master, clive barker's undying, or port royale 2, provided that I finally get round to trying it out.

My money's on ghost master.

Dear god, I just wrote a paragraph about that. I need help

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Welcome to the Civ fold Daystar. From here on in, it will be all you know.

As for tips. Beware Gandhi,! I swear Gandhi is some kind of in joke with guys at Fraxis, pacifist my arse the guy is the worse warmonger in the series, he puts Genghis to shame. In fact in Civ V beware any leader that is in the same hemisphere as you. Don't believe their talk of friendship they are just waiting...waiting for you to let your guard down >.>

[sub]I think I need to take a break from civ for awhile...[/sub]

Dammit ninja'd on the Gandhi warnings. Ok another tip. Don't let your puppeted cities grow, they will rob you of happiness that you could put to better use to allow your own cities to grow. Replace farms with trading posts in puppet cities to starve off the pop and help produce some extra gold for your empire.

Dec 14, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Welcome to the Civ fold Daystar. From here on in, it will be all you know.

As for tips. Beware Gandhi,! I swear Gandhi is some kind of in joke with guys at Fraxis, pacifist my arse the guy is the worse warmonger in the series, he puts Genghis to shame. In fact in Civ V beware any leader that is in the same hemisphere as you. Don't believe their talk of friendship they are just waiting...waiting for you to let your guard down >.>

[sub]I think I need to take a break from civ for awhile...[/sub]

Dammit ninja'd on the Gandhi warnings. Ok another tip. Don't let your puppeted cities grow, they will rob you of happiness that you could put to better use to allow your own cities to grow. Replace farms with trading posts in puppet cities to starve off the pop and help produce some extra gold for your empire.
I have no idea what a puppet city is :D

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

When talking to a rep from another city/country, always, ALWAYS tell them that their head will look good on a stick.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Going out drinking with some punk rockers in a park tonight. Not exactly something new, but I haven't done any park drinking since I was 15(seven years ago).

Eh, it's the best I got I'm afraid.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

Maybe start off on a tiny map with 2-3 other Civs and only have one city yourself while you learn the ropes. You can always set up a game so you don't have war or there are no wandering barbarians and such. Animal Husbandry is a must, too. I always start off learning Animal Husbandry, then Archery so I can defend my city. I first produce a worker, then an archer and have him stay on the city so it's automatically defended and people are happier with soliders guarding them.

... Maybe I'll play when I get home tonight. Wonder if Gods and Kings is still on sale on Steam...?

And something new? Not much planned right now - possibility of some big changes coming up soon, though.

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
I plan to start a new relationship (hopefully!) soon, after getting out of a rather bad one 9 months ago.
Other than that, I might try and 100% Bioshock's 1 and 2...

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

For the older ones at least, make sure you set your spending early on onto scientific spending, get some technology early on. It works well, if you do it properly, you can have guns while everyone else is still hitting each other with sticks.