Something that is confusing me

i don't know

Feb 22, 2010
See, in the new dead or alive game, people are complaining about the unrealistically giant breasts. I didn't hear that the new mortal kombat game got any complaints about its random giant jiggling flesh bags. Is there something I missed? I know that Mortal Kombat came from a different time, but it didn't have giant breasts in the old games. This is a NEW development.

PS: I feel like the ones in these games are just awkward to watch. Its a bit sickening in both. Why were they so over done in these games? Its just a bit scary because these people are expected to be at least slightly believable to be humans and not extremely horny homicidal sex dolls.

EDIT: Did soul calibur get beat up for this?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
AFAIK, Mortal Kombat didn't market its female fighters as sex dolls. DoA brought this on itself with its "She kicks high" ad or the one with all the Japanese men leering at the TV when they raised/lowered the PS3 controller.

And, I think Soul Calibur did catch a little slack for their one cleavage ad.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
DoA has always been about the boobs. They advertise as such, even said that it was what the consumers wanted.

I don't play DoA, so it doesn't really affect me.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Soul Calibur gets major major heat for it's character design choices.. particularly in the case of Soul Calibur 5 and it's advertising that was very specifically oriented on that aspect of the game. Mortal Kombat, however, didn't really face quite the same opposition. My guess as to why would be that the sexualization is a little less blatant in MK. Sure the ladies there are wearing, in some cases, even less clothing but it's not quite thrown in your face as often (plus, given the brutal visceral nature of the game, it's just not as much an environment where sexuality is front and centre).

Overall, however, I do agree that DOA gets much more attention for it's female characters. As to why, I'd say it's mainly to do with the fact that it seems to be such a focus in the series overall. Despite the fact that the series first title actually had less female fighters than male fights, even in the first game the vast majority of the "secrets" where actually festish outfits or skimpy outfits for it's lady combatants. It's advertising didn't help, even if it was really a pretty thinly veiled jab at people who played the series solely for it's female characters. And, of course, there were the Volleyball titles that were actually fun little games in their own right but were very obviously more heavily steeped in the "sexy" side of the characters than in actual gameplay.

As I see it, it's pretty much just a case of being the series that stands out the most. It's like someone walking around with a kick me sign on their back. There are always going to be others that attract the same sort of attention but the one who draws attention to itself the most is genearlly the one that's going to get it the worst.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
madwarper said:
Japanese men leering at the TV when they raised/lowered the PS3 controller.
I believe that was actually Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.
But same devs so big fucking surprise.

OT: If we're going to complain about fighting games that have skimpily dressed girls we may as well list ones that don't have this. It'll be quicker. So...

Persona 4 Arena.

Well, that was a nice chat.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I think it might be partly that Mortal Kombat, especially the newest one, is just so ridiculously gorey and violent that you're actually distracted from the boobs, where as even after getting the crap beat out of them, everyone looks pristine in Dead or Alive.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
madwarper said:
And, I think Soul Calibur did catch a little slack for their one cleavage ad.
Yeah, it did, though it also spawned a few funny jokes, like this beaut from Angry Joe:

OT: I'll be the first to say that the gigantic Earth-shaking boobage detracted from MK's overall quality. But it was not one of its major selling points, whereas DoA 5, and to a lesser extent SC 5, put quite a bit of advertising into the characters' overgrown mammaries, and got chastised for it.

i don't know

Feb 22, 2010
Ok, so I see what you're saying. MK got away with the breasts because it wasn't advertising with them. Don't you think it was a bit pointless to put them in in that case? They seemed a bit disturbing to be honest and I feel like it made the game slightly more shameful to watch. Its offensive and childish,and it had no purpose. Don't you think MK should have gotten more beatings than the other games because of how "tacked" on these things feel? These were new pointless additions to the game where areas soul calibur and Doa always had them. Why beat up the games known for doing this, and not the game that had no reason to do this? Its like kicking a dog for shitting outside while your 20 year old man child shits on the carpet and giving no fucks about it.