something that's been bugging me for a while

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
You'd think someone would have done something about this with the "Realistic" shooter trend, but something that's bugged me about fps games since Goldeneye has been the reloading. Evey game does it the same way, where you drop the magazine and put in a new one. What bugs me is that your ammunition magically carries over from one magazine to the new one, instead of dissapearing when you take out the old clip.
I know it's only done because reloading isn't that big of a deal, but everytime I see it, it irritates me that it happens. Has anybody else noticed this or am I just wierd?

J4RD

I didn't pay for this?
Jan 4, 2010
It's bugged me quite a bit, actually. Although, I think one "realistic" shooter I've played, SOCOM 3, made it so you have a set amount of magazines, and if you reload halfway through one, you'd eventually pull out that half-full magazine again, no matter how much ammo you actually had left.

So no, you aren't too weird. Unless I am too, which is very possible.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
When you reloaded in Mafia, you lost the bullets that were still in the clip inside, although that was in 2002 I have yet to see another game do it that way... so good point, especially because as you said, they magically carry over, but we see characters drop the clip on the ground, so if they would put it away for later, rather than dropping it, it would make more sense.

May 28, 2009
J4RD said:
It's bugged me quite a bit, actually. Although, I think one "realistic" shooter I've played, SOCOM 3, made it so you have a set amount of magazines, and if you reload halfway through one, you'd eventually pull out that half-full magazine again, no matter how much ammo you actually had left.
Operation Flashpoint does that. It's one of the manifold reasons I have an unhealthy appreciation for it.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
The games that do it like the S.W.A.T series are fun in there own way of using tactics but it takes a while to learn alllll the different gadgets and you can use. But on the multiplayer side it would just be a hard adjustment and to many plain old not fun. I'm hoping the released version of BF3 or MW3 will have a "realism mode" where every hit is pretty much either and insta-kill or leaving you bleeding out on the ground and of course more realistic ammo and general ballistics meaning no long range pistol kills. I believe people will quickly lose there excitement about realism especially since the entirety of single player if played in the mode would be akin to a much more difficult veteran difficulty.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Well in The Darkness, if you reloaded while bullets were still in the mag, they vanish.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I'm sure I've seen a few games do that. Possibly some of the Tom Clancy ones. It used to bother me, now I just ignore it.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
J4RD said:
Operation Flashpoint does that. It's one of the manifold reasons I have an unhealthy appreciation for it.
If I remember correctly Hidden and Dangerous did this to. I sometimes like it when Shooters go for that sort of realism.
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate Doom-like onslauhgt, but sometimes fully fleshed out realism has something for it (I also liked how health in Flashpoint worked).

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I remember SWAT 4 doing that because that game tried to be actually realistic, and was the far better game for it. There was also no auto reload when you emptied a clip so you had to remember to reload your gun after a messy shoot out or be up the creek next time. The TASER was the worst for this as it only held one shot. I've lost count how many times I've tried to take someone down with an empty gun.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
All this talk of realism and such in fps reminds me how much I really, really, really, REALLY want a SWAT 5 someday. A faithful continuation of the series that takes everything SWAT 3 and 4 did so well and throws in a healthy dose of modern visuals, sound, lighting effects, AI, and maybe even some destructible terrain. It would be absolutely brilliant!

Unfortunately not likely to ever happen, but still a man can dream. SWAT 4 was bloody brilliant!

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I used to think that reloading when I hadn't finished a clip would mean I'd lose all the ammunition I had left in it. It took me a while to realise this didn't happen but it doesn't bug me.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Battlefield 1942 is the last one I remember doing that, which was a feature that was brilliant after half an hour of getting acclimatised to it. I'd definitely prefer it if they added this realism back in, although a lot of people would probably ***** about it ruining the game (imagine if they did it to COD)