Songs of great length?

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
have to add my favorite opeth song. They are the masters of long metal songs.

also a few VG melodies.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
One of the greatest songs ever created. Deep, dark, atmospheric, enthralling. Van Der Graaf truly is underrated and deserves a good deal more praise.

Another great song from the same band

Also, although 2112 was already posted, it's not the only great 10+ minute song Rush have created

And of course, from my favourite Pink Floyd album we have:

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
This is an excellent invite to post plenty of prog.

OK, this is actually nine minutes, but whatever.

I see lots of people are posting Opeth.

Trololo Punk said:
Also this. That whole album is a classic.

And how could I leave out this, a total masterpiece.

Many of the other great songs I like don't quite make the ten minute mark, unfortunately.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
A thread about long songs and no mention of Rush? For shame...
I know right?! I was ready to post that but waited to see if someone else had. I was getting worried... Definitely one of my top 10 favorite Rush songs.

Claripit772 said:
Other than that, Do pieces with multiple movements add up to one total time?

It has four movements, but it can take around 20 minutes to play the entire piece.
Also, I think you have excellent taste. Are you perhaps a percussionist? Those are about the only people I know who talk about that piece or Evelyn Glennie. I've played that concerto for a recital and it can be quite a beast to get through. I much prefer Rosauro's 2nd Marimba Concerto personally. Much more fun to play, IMO.

OT: I'm a HUGE Rush fan, and their early career was chock full of long songs.

HouseOfSyn

Nov 25, 2011
onewheeled999 said:
This is what first came into my head and seriously - Fuck that song. It's borderline ELP levels of over-indulgence.

Sometimes that band utterly blows me away but usually I'm so fed up of them by half the album I don't go back for the rest.

Trololo Punk said:
Yes and Yes.

Captcha: "That's right". Thanks captcha! :)

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
TheKruzdawg said:
Also, I think you have excellent taste. Are you perhaps a percussionist? Those are about the only people I know who talk about that piece or Evelyn Glennie. I've played that concerto for a recital and it can be quite a beast to get through. I much prefer Rosauro's 2nd Marimba Concerto personally. Much more fun to play, IMO.
Why thank you! I am a percussionist, and Ney Rosauro is actually my favorite composer. I learned half of his first concerto in high school and the other half in college. The first movement was a particularly tricky beast for me, but I really can unwind when I play the 2nd and 3rd movements. I was tempted to put up Rosauro's 2nd Marimba concerto as well, but didn't.I've been messing around with Reflections and Dreams recently, and it's so much fun to play =]

It's nice to meet a fellow percussionist here on the Escapist, yet alone a percussionist with excellent taste.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Claripit772 said:
Why thank you! I am a percussionist, and Ney Rosauro is actually my favorite composer. I learned half of his first concerto in high school and the other half in college. The first movement was a particularly tricky beast for me, but I really can unwind when I play the 2nd and 3rd movements. I was tempted to put up Rosauro's 2nd Marimba concerto as well, but didn't.I've been messing around with Reflections and Dreams recently, and it's so much fun to play =]

It's nice to meet a fellow percussionist here on the Escapist, yet alone a percussionist with excellent taste.
:D I'd say he's probably my favorite composer as well, seeing as how I've played at least one piece by him every year I was in college. "Greetings" of the 1st Concerto took me FOREVER to learn. When I started freshman year I just couldn't get into and at actually really disliked it. So I stopped playing it. Then I picked the whole thing back up junior year and loved it.

I LOVE the beginning of "Reflections and Dreams". I could listen to the opening all day long. It's so soothing, it makes me sad that the soloist only gets to play it once :( But Mvt. 3 is my favorite.

I wish I could have taken Mvt 3 closer to tempo, but my accompanist had some health issues that semester and there was no one else. But she's an amazing accompanist, love her to death.

What other pieces have you played by Rosauro?

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
TheKruzdawg said:
:D I'd say he's probably my favorite composer as well, seeing as how I've played at least one piece by him every year I was in college. "Greetings" of the 1st Concerto took me FOREVER to learn. When I started freshman year I just couldn't get into and at actually really disliked it. So I stopped playing it. Then I picked the whole thing back up junior year and loved it.
Nice! In high school, I had to pick two movements, and I was absolutely in love with the fourth movement, but my instructor insisted that I do the first movement as well, so that I'd be working with the movements that didn't quite play to my strengths (so I could improve on the techniques used in those pieces.) Unfortunately, I was not given a lot of time to really work with the piece, and I had to pull my percussion accompaniment by the teeth in order for them to do anything. I probably relearn the first movement from scratch should I ever find myself playing it again. In college, I fortunately had the luxury of time to really make myself comfortable with movements two and three, and my pianist knew the piece inside and out long before I asked for his accompaniment, so those two movements are much more comfortable under my hands.

TheKruzdawg said:
I LOVE the beginning of "Reflections and Dreams". I could listen to the opening all day long. It's so soothing, it makes me sad that the soloist only gets to play it once :( But Mvt. 3 is my favorite.

I wish I could have taken Mvt 3 closer to tempo, but my accompanist had some health issues that semester and there was no one else. But she's an amazing accompanist, love her to death.
That was a lovely performance =] While Movement 2 is my favorite in the concerto, I really like Movement 3 as well. I can't help but love the cadenza that is played mostly with the rattan of the mallet. Oh, and I actually feel like I've seen the video of you playing Losa before (I wanted to play that piece, but never found a duet partner.)

Btw, are you using Burton Grip or Extended Cross for marimba? I'm actually the only person in my percussion studio who uses Burton for marimba playing, so it's rare for me to see others using that grip

TheKruzdawg said:
What other pieces have you played by Rosauro?
Well, I've actually only been playing percussion for about 2 or 3 years. In fact, I just officially became a music student this semester (I was a music minor last semester because I had no experience on Timpani or Snare, but my professor worked with me personally to prepare an audition on the instruments, and I got in.)

My first piece I ever learned was Rosauro's Prelude #1 in E minor, and it played a huge role in my growing passion for percussion. Other than that, I've learned his first Marimba Concerto, and I recently threw together Prelude #2 so that I have some more pieces to perform for Ney Rosauro himself, since I'm going to his summer Mallet Percussion Camp this year (nerve-wracking as it is). Other than that, I've toyed with Suite Popular Brasil, Toccata and Divertimento, and the 2nd Marimba Concerto.

How about you?

P.S. Sorry about the wall of text