Songs that are also stories

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
While listening to the song Big Iron from Fallout:New Vegas, I realized what made it somewhat unique was that the song also doubled as a short story. The only other songs I can think of that are a short story are: Children's Story by Slick Rick, Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie, and arguably Bust A Move by Young MC.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There's 'A Boy Named Sue' and 'Ballad of a Teenage Queen' by Johnny Cash.

Also, 'Where the Wild Roses Grow' by Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Oh, here's another one. Just like my other one, it's got just a bit of blood in it.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
I'd like to add The Eagles' "Hotel California" and Eminem's "Stan" as excellent story songs

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
Well, I'm not sure if you'd consider these "short" stories, but the Gettysburg trilogy by Iced Earth basically tells the story of..well...the Battle of Gettysburg

Likewise, Achilles (Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts) is an epic-length 8 song story by Manowar about, as titled, Achilles

(They both have some downright AMAZING instrumental work in them as a bonus)

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
There's a lot of that in the Country genre, actually.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
"Everything you know is wrong" is more of a collection of short stories, but it's a masterpiece in showcasing surreal, flow of thought type storytelling
"Albuquerque" is more of a story that is also a song, but it's a masterpiece nonetheless
"A complicated song" is also a fascinating story which takes completely unexpected turns every other line

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Don McLean's "American Pie". It's a story, whatever the story really is about.

I was under the impression it was about the death of Buddy Holly, Richie Vallens and the Big Bopper. Am I wrong?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I think, OP, what you're searching for is called a ballad. Anyway, plenty of songs tell stories. Some better then others.

I'm rather fond of Coheed and Cambria. Most of their music is tied to a comic series they write. Though I haven't read it. They also have incredible range.

Metallica, surprisingly, has some pretty strong material.

Here's one that's a little less intense. It's super emotional, though. Maybe that's just because I can actually relate to it. I'll let you judge.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Pretty much anything by RUSH from the 70-80s is a story. Seriously like the entire album at times.

Another good one

This one by Peter actually inspired a Werewolf: Apocalypse campaign I ran once.

Can't think of any others right now. I'm sure I know tons of them though.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Quite a few songs on Word Gets Around by Stereophonics tell pretty depressing stories. Local Boy in the Photograph stands out.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/5kZaW1a_olk[/youtube]

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
A lot of music is based on stories. Epic poems and stories used to be passed down as songs in history.

Just off the top of my head, these songs also tell stories.

A funny one.

And a not so funny one.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm not going to post them but part of what I love about Cradle of Filth is how every so often they'll put out an album that's basically one large narrative. There's Cruelty and the Beast which is heavily based on the life of Elizabeth Bathory. Damnation and a Day, which is an adaptation of...uh...I wanna say Paradise Lost. God Speed on the Devil's Thunder seems to be based around Gilles de Rais after the death of Joan of Arc. Darkly Darkly Venus Aversa is based around the demon Lilith...Holy shit, they launched a new album last month?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008

The legend of a woman who lost it when her fiance died in a shipwreck. More or less.

Maybe not the most epic of stories, but still, a nice song.

I had a couple others coming in, but one of them (Hotel California) has been shared and the rest slipped my mind. I might be back.