Songs with beefy bass lines

Pohlkat

Apr 11, 2008
I dunno, I find bass/double bass/cello/cardboard box with rubber band lines sexy. Any good ones? Tank from cowboy bebob comes to mind. Mostly because I'm listening to it :)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
it's not a double bass, but The Pot by Tool has an awesome bass line

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
also, I feel silly saying it, but Limp Bizkit's Rearranged has an awesome bassline as well

and Cake's I Will Survive Cover

but Tool's The Pot is tre magnifique

[edit] sorry for the double post.

Atvomat_Nikonov

Jul 2, 2008
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet. Playing this on Rock band really made the bass lie stand out, and what a bass line it is.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
anything by Primus basically.

that's what happens when your frontman is a bassist

Perwer

Apr 2, 2008
I've always thought "queens of the stoneage" has some beefy bass tunes. Although I could be all wrong about the definition of a beefy bass tune.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
The Kind Cannibal post=18.69257.654140 said:
Altorin post=18.69257.654124 said:

Claypool is an amazing bassist, he's earned frontman status.
alright, I wasn't trying to make an issue, I didn't even make a judgment call for you to defend against.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Try some PIL (Public Image Limited) "Second Edition" to be specific. That Album has some crazy and hypnotic bass lines. This is dance rock music to space out to, you gotta get it. Also, try XTC's "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea" good stuff there too.

The Kind Cannibal

Aug 19, 2008
Altorin post=18.69257.654157 said:
The Kind Cannibal post=18.69257.654140 said:
Altorin post=18.69257.654124 said:

Claypool is an amazing bassist, he's earned frontman status.
alright, I wasn't trying to make an issue, I didn't even make a judgment call for you to defend against.
Just saying, not trying to start anything.

I rarely actually HEAR the bassist in a band, I suppose you have to have a bassist ear to hear the bass lines. One notable exception is Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse, they all stop playing except the bassist, that's one way of making your bassist heard.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
not hearing the bassline is normal

unless it's a strong solo, a good bassist blends the guitar and the vocals with the drums.

picking out the bassline does sometimes take a bassist's ear, but you WILL know the song is wrong without the bassline, even if you can't exactly pick it out

Aug 13, 2008
Do you mean just good basslines or just strong kinda "oofa" bass lines, like Tom Waits or something in that vein.

And PIL is awesome. More Dance punk bands like The Rapture and The Arctic Monkeys have great bass lines. And DFA 1979 (Death From Above 1979) is the epitome of amazing bass, having just a bass and drum combination...and speaking of those kind of combos, check out Lightning Bolt as well, with every song being just crazy noise punk bliss. Their song Dracula Mountain is one such example.

I think I may have overwhelmed some people...

The Kind Cannibal

Aug 19, 2008
Altorin post=18.69257.654192 said:
picking out the bassline does sometimes take a bassist's ear, but you WILL know the song is wrong without the bassline, even if you can't exactly pick it out

I have real life experience of that, turns out you really DO need your bassist at practice or you end up sounding like crap.

ThornBrain

Jul 29, 2008
laikenf post=18.69257.654174 said:
Try some PIL (Public Image Limited) "Second Edition" to be specific. That Album has some crazy and hypnotic bass lines. This is dance rock music to space out to, you gotta get it. Also, try XTC's "Drums and Wires" and "Black Sea" good stuff there too.
Got all three of those. It's not as easy to hear XTC's bass as PiL's, but I definately agree.