Jan 31, 2008
Xhumed post=18.69257.660639 said:
khululy post=18.69257.660604 said:
Altorin post=18.69257.654124 said:
anything by Primus basically.

that's what happens when your frontman is a bassist
yep :p
See also Motorhead
The fact that Lemmy plays a Rickenbacker (famous for its trebbly punch) through a marshal guitar amp there isnt a lot of bass happening.. Lots of clicky and clanky..

Just cos the bassist is the frontman doesnt mean anything. Claypool just happends to be a fantastic player in every sence of the word!

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
I'd also try for a band called "Torsofuck" and "Sperm Swamp". Yes, they are real bands, and it doesn't get much more bass-ier than that. Go ahead. Have fun.

YouTube is a wonderful place.

Xhumed

Jun 15, 2008
zen5887 post=18.69257.660654 said:
Xhumed post=18.69257.660639 said:
khululy post=18.69257.660604 said:
Altorin post=18.69257.654124 said:
anything by Primus basically.

that's what happens when your frontman is a bassist
yep :p
See also Motorhead
The fact that Lemmy plays a Rickenbacker (famous for its trebbly punch) through a marshal guitar amp there isnt a lot of bass happening.. Lots of clicky and clanky..

Just cos the bassist is the frontman doesnt mean anything. Claypool just happends to be a fantastic player in every sence of the word!
Ermm.... have you heard their cover of "Long Way to the Top (if you wanna rock and roll)"? Its a lot bassier than AC/DC's. Every Motorhead song ive heard has been rumbly as hell.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Xhumed post=18.69257.660663 said:
Ermm.... have you heard their cover of "Long Way to the Top (if you wanna rock and roll)"? Its a lot bassier than AC/DC's. Every Motorhead song ive heard has been rumbly as hell.
Geez they turned him up in that one.

Cos of all the trebble Lemmy has he can cut through the distortion of the two guitars better.

I still stick by what I said. Not a lot of bass - Lots and Clicky Clanky.. And some fuzz

Enskie

Jun 11, 2008
HBrutusH post=18.69257.654319 said:
*cough*

PENDULUM

*/cough*
Too damn right, my personal picks there are:

Hold Your Colour
Slam
Granite
Coma
and finally
Blood Sugar.

Ubikvitaarinen

Nov 15, 2007
I'd say you try with Jamiroquiai, there's a bloody lot of sexy bass lines there. Anyway, if you're into truly awesome bass lines you should give Return to Forever a try -Romantic Warrior'll do the trick-, not really beefy but astounding nonetheless. And see if you can get something by Chic Corea while you're at it.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
RJCarrot post=18.69257.655510 said:
7 Nation Army - White Stripes.
Yea the whole NO BASS AT ALL thing realy works ey?

I am a bass player myself so basslines are always an important part of music i listen to. Many songs by The Cure are written on bass and thus have fantastic basslines. Killing an Arab, Boy's Dn'y Cry, A Forest, Lullaby, Lovesong... the list goes on.

The guy from Muse is the king of distorted bass. Check Out hysteria.

Rage against the Machine are an obvious one. Killing in the Name Of and Wake up are bass player staples. As are many songs by The Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Flea is a well respected bassist although i am not to fond of rest of the band.

As for simple yet awsome basslines that leas the song the obvious ones are Come Together by The Beatles (Paul Mcartney awsome bassist and noone knows he plays) and London Calling by The Clash.
On the topic of The Clash Paul Simons's other band The Good The Bad and The Queen have beutiful basslines.

Dir En Grey have some nice basslines. Check out the bass solo in Cage.

The Arctic Monkeys have some of the best bass in Indie. In fact the first wave of Indie bands to make it big have great basslines like them, Franz Ferdinand and Juicebox by the Strokes.

I could go on all night so i will stop there.

Oh for solo's go for Jaco Pastorius, Vic Wooten, Michael Manring, theres many.

Milkatron

Jul 18, 2008
We're on the third page, any NOBODY HAS MENTIONED CLIFF BURTON!! HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He went down roads nobody else would, he, at times, turned his bass into A FUCKING GUITAR! I HATE ALL OF YOU!

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
You know guys, I'm kind of surprised that not one of you has mentioned what's probably the best bassline of all time...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q

However, this is undoubtedly my favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqkMsXcHQYg

My biggest surprise in recent years is finding out that incubus actually used to be awesome(!) Their first album's one of the best bassy albums I've heard in a long time. Just listen to the slap bass solo on this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBD7L73I4Q

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
Haha yea Another One Bites the Dust, instantly recognisable, catchy and extremely easy to play.

Can't beilieve i forgot it

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Apocalyptica - 4 guys play metal on cello's.....thats pretty cool

and Type O Negative - Gothy bass, since the lead singer plays it he likes it to be heard

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
as anything by primus was already said

i'm going to say anything by Stanley Clarke
Thank god someone mentioned Stanley Clarke, it would have really rocked my faith in human nature if that wasn't mentioned by someone other than me!

I am also partial to a bit of Living Colour and Parliament and Funkadelic.