Songs you enjoy despite not having a clue...

Shifty

Apr 21, 2011
Took me a while on this beautiful song think I got it in the end (meaning does not fit the song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZduDvIBu3EU

Sorry I don't know how to have the video on this. Its Damien Rice with volcano. Well worth a listen to BTW.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
What songs do you enjoy despite having not a damn clue what the singer/songwriter/band is trying to get across?

For the longest time for me, I enjoy a lot of music by Bjork, but trying to understand her sometimes is a headache. While talented as hell, she seems to be more than a little off her rocker.
But the one that took the cake for me was Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. Having grown up during the grunge era, I was a moderate Nirvana fan, and I could NEVER understand WTF Kurt was talking about... Now that I'm older, I wonder how in the hell that song was so popular.
Smells Like Teen Spirit was apparently never meant to be taken seriously. He wrote the riff as a ridiculous take on the one from More Than a Feeling and tried to make the music video as absurd as possible.

Number 4. [http://www.cracked.com/article_19420_6-classic-songs-that-were-supposed-to-be-jokes.html]

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Helicopter by Bloc Party used to be one of my favorite songs.

Another would be Song 2 by Blur, no clue what the hell is going on in either of those songs and I don't want to know either.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Anything by the Melvins lol. But to focus on what the lyrics mean in a Melvins song would be kind of missing the point.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
Shit, almost every song from my favorite bands, I can understand spoken english but singing? not so much.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Anything by The Gypsy Kings, as I don't speak Spanish:
Mostly thanks to the guitars, I love that Spanish guitar style.

Opera music too, as it's often in languages like Italian, which in itself is just a gorgeous sounding language without even knowing what they sing about. Like this:

Also the odd Sigur Ross song, when I'm in the mood for it.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Losing My Religion by REM- one of my favorite songs ever, but I have no idea what its about
Monkey Gone to Heaven by the Pixies- same, even less of an idea
Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros- not even sure this song is even in a real language
The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen- great song, but it seems to be a series of cool images without a real theme