Songs you love, made by bands you dislike.

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
MCR comes off as whiny emo bullshit most of the time to me, but I just love this song.

Jumping on a bandwagon, most of Lady Gaga's output is uninteresting to me, but I think this is her best song. "Born This Way" and "Just Dance" are alright, too.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I vehemently dislike the vast majority of their stuff but Iowa (the song) and Vermillion Pt. 2 by Slipknot are pretty good.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
So much about Miley Cyrus drives me insane, but at the same time, the synths in "Party in the USA" are perfectly and unimpeachably cheesy. There's a tad of ironic enjoyment in my love of that song, but there's also a strange level of legitimate enjoyment.

Also a more situational case: I hate AC/DC, but I have no problem with "Thunderstruck" being played at the beginning of every other sporting event.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Icehearted said:
Cherub Rock by The Smashing Pumpkins. I find a lot of their music strange, and the lead comes off as a bitter and angry brat, but this song blows me away for some reason. It's one of those where I can still get goosebumps listening to it.
This.

Also, "Where Dragons Rule" by DragonForce. I don't like many of their songs as they sound too similar to each other, but this one stands out.

Oh, and "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
Through Glass by Stone Sour.
Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria.
Freak Gasoline Flight Accident by It Dies Today.
and probably more...

Im the kinda guy who likes albums, not singles. Singles can be great, but amazing albums are far superior. Singles aren't enough to give a band good reputation either, at least to me.

Feb 22, 2009
Honestly there aren't that many by bands I actively dislike, but there are a few I can think of by bands I'm usually indifferent to, and I always end up thinking 'why isn't the rest of your music like this?'.

Each of the first two that came to mind are collaborations between two artists, interestingly, so maybe it's that none of their individual work feels the same as the collaboration. But seriously, I wish either artist in each case would make more music that sounds like the one I love, because the rest of their stuff always just leaves me cold.

And then there's this, which is Sunn O))), a band I usually don't 'get', doing something inexplicably subdued and beautiful, and it's heartbreaking that they've never done anything else like it.

And I second whoever mentioned that Coheed and Cambria song. Man I was disappointed when I listened to everything else by them.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
theemporer said:
Icehearted said:
Cherub Rock by The Smashing Pumpkins. I find a lot of their music strange, and the lead comes off as a bitter and angry brat, but this song blows me away for some reason. It's one of those where I can still get goosebumps listening to it.
This.

Also, "Where Dragons Rule" by DragonForce. I don't like many of their songs as they sound too similar to each other, but this one stands out.

Oh, and "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson.
I just realized I missed an entire Dragonforce album.. And I love their music..

So.. Thank you ^^

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
Lover I Don't Have to Love - Bright Eyes
Army of Me - Bjork
Skyfall - ADELE
Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear
My Girls - Animal Collective
Sun - Two Door Cinema Club
Bruises - Chairlift
Bigger than Hip-Hop - Dead Prez
Through the Roof and Underground - Gogol Bordello
Imagine - John Lennon (Not the Beatles. I love the Beatles. John's solo stuff doesn't do it for me)
Bom Bom Bom - Living Things
California - Phantom Planet
Salute Your Solution - The Raconteurs
Every Man Has A Molly - Say Anything
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
triggrhappy94 said:
A couple Kayne West songs.
(All of the Lights, Runaway, Power, and there might be one or two others)
Kayne West himself is the king of all douche bags.
I feel the same way. I love Stronger and Power (think I might be forgetting one), but I can't stand Kayne.

Anyway, besides those, there's this:

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
"Maggie May" is the only Rod Stewart song I like. I hate most everything else I've heard by him.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Taylor Swift made a song with the Civil Wars, pretty much the only good song she's had.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I wouldn't say I HATE or even dislike the Rolling Stones, but most of their songs just don't do it for me. The exception is:

But for me, I can almost never just "get in to" a band. Songs I like usually have some sort of pleasant memory or nostalgia attached to them, whether it be from a particularly awesome moment in a TV show, game, or movie, or just a song I listened to while having fun with friends. So really, I don't "like" any bands, not on their own merit at least. Wild Horses is a fantastic song, but it does have a special moment tied to it as well, though it was actually a cover played during the moment, and the cover (which is also really good) led me to the original, which I like very much.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
rosac said:
Basically, I heard a song on the radio today. I'd heard it before, I liked the lyrics, I liked the general theme and I just thought it was a very well done song. I then heard it was by one direction.

One direction, as in the band that sang "What makes you beautiful?" I was shocked, but it was true. The song is such a departure from a lot of their other singles, and it works well because of it (In my mind)

The song in question is
So what songs that you enjoy have been made by bands you otherwise despise, if any?

CAPTCHA: The bee's Knees. yes it is captcha, Yes.It.Is.
You want to know the reason that song is so good? It's actually an Ed Sheeran song. One Direction do a good job with it though.

I'm not a big fan of Kansas, it's usually too prog rock for my taste - but then you get this:

and it is AWESOME.

Datsle

Feb 4, 2009
Erja_Perttu said:
rosac said:
Basically, I heard a song on the radio today. I'd heard it before, I liked the lyrics, I liked the general theme and I just thought it was a very well done song. I then heard it was by one direction.

One direction, as in the band that sang "What makes you beautiful?" I was shocked, but it was true. The song is such a departure from a lot of their other singles, and it works well because of it (In my mind)

The song in question is
So what songs that you enjoy have been made by bands you otherwise despise, if any?

CAPTCHA: The bee's Knees. yes it is captcha, Yes.It.Is.
You want to know the reason that song is so good? It's actually an Ed Sheeran song. One Direction do a good job with it though.

I'm not a big fan of Kansas, it's usually too prog rock for my taste - but then you get this:

and it is AWESOME.

That song is fantastic.

I've allways hated Daft Punk, and i found the movie abit silly-

But holy sh!t the soundtrack.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Andria by La Dispute.

La Dispute just annoy me. They remind me too much of the 2-dimensional "hardcore" twats that seem to populate North Wales exclusively. You know the type, "straight edge" - draw Xs on their hands and wear short shorts with Vans slip ons without any socks.

Still a great song though, and I don't like anything else they've done.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
How you remind me - nickelback

Boring generic rock band, but this song gets to me in all the right ways. good song to put on whilst commiserating

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I can't think of a single band I know of that has only one song I like. It's usually some songs, a lot of songs or no songs