Songs you would use in a final stand

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Every now and then I have the tendency to think of songs that would fit in certain scenarios. For example, what song would work in an final battle between good and evil, what song would work for a badass SOB walking out of a fire unscathed etc. However there is a certain scenario that I always seem to come back to, song for an unwinnable final stand i.e Halo Reach's ending. What song(s) work in the situation where you're fighting an unstoppable army/horde/force/etc? You know you're gonna die but you're gonna die fighting.
I have a few songs that work in this case and I kinda want to know what other songs could work for this kind of unwinnable scenario. An example below, Celldweller's Against The Tide.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Well, OP. I came into this thread to link that exact song. This is awkward.

So, here's some backups

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Amon Amarth's Under Siege instantly came to mind for me:

Then again, quite a few of Amon Amarth's songs would work very well in this kind of scenario.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
MysticSlayer said:
Awesome snip
Bro, an Amon Amarth song works great in any scenario. Sieges, wars, pool parties, executions, even children's birthdays.

Mine will be Coheed and Cambria's song In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3. The song is actually about an epic last stand in which a weakened rebel army, so weak I think there is only like twelve guys alive. They get in massive anti-space weapons called Jackhammers and try to hold off the bad guy's massive army. The chorus is just so fucking awesome.

Man your battle stations!

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I got a few form Sabaton. 40:1, Screaming Eagles, Resist and Bite, and Hearts of Iron all come to mind.

Iced Earths's "Hold at all costs" could work but given the historical context( it's about Gettysburg) I don't think it fits the hopeless part.

Also Excalion's "Flags in Line" could work, and Iron Mask with "When all Braves Fall."

I guess what I'm saying is a already have a playlist for this.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I think this is perfect:

Probably a cliche, but there is a reason why this is overused in "Final stand" moments.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
harrisonmcgiggins said:
The g gundam song, or goldbergs theme from wcw.
There's probably a few wrestling ones that would work, but Brock Lesnar's current WWE theme would be great for this, assuming I (the person finally standing, as it were) am an enormous badass.
The Armored Titan in AoT was based on Lesnar's physique, let us not forget; one of the abridged versions actually put this music over the point where the Armored Titan breaks through the wall. It's ridiculously epic.

One-Winged Angel from FFVII might also work in its orchestrated version, but again I'm assuming that I'm pretty badass. What would actually probably happen is that I would get killed within about two seconds.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Il58Ln4cI (I can never figure out how to embed the links in that cool way herp)

Anyway, Philip Glaas, Koyaanisqatsi.
Instead of the more epic and grand finale, this brings out a more melancholy "You are going to die now mate, deal with it" feeling.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I change my answer to Wham - wake me up before you go go

Why you ask? I bet you are thinking "that doesnt sound like a final stand song". Well you would be correct except from one important detail....juxtaposition. people like frost and pegg are very good at this sort of thing. They will have certain music that doesnt match the tone. An upbeat cheesy 80s song like this as the theme to an intense final stand could actually work well

Here is a perfect example of this technique in action

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008

It would be a sad ending and I would lose. It would be raining. Probably on a rooftop, thunder casts echoes of light over desperate faces.

Lines would be said.

Fight, blood with rain, fall.

Curtains.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Heh, one of these threads pop up every year, and no one mentions the song literally made for a final stand.

The Judas Priest masterpiece, Blood Red Skies

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
I haven't the the foggiest clue how to embed videos(?), so here's a link instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPPWbbYRvJI

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
You mentioned Halo Reach in the OP, and appropriately enough, the music from that game's trailer is pretty perfect for a hopeless last stand against impossible odds. It's a pretty beautiful piece of music, from my pick for best game trailer ever.

For something a bit more epic and a bit less mournful, Two Steps From Hell's Heart of Courage is pretty spectacular. Once again, from an awesome game trailer.

And also, Wanderer on the Offensive, because it's just amazing.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Elfgore said:
MysticSlayer said:
Awesome snip
Bro, an Amon Amarth song works great in any scenario. Sieges, wars, pool parties, executions, even children's birthdays.

Mine will be Coheed and Cambria's song In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3. The song is actually about an epic last stand in which a weakened rebel army, so weak I think there is only like twelve guys alive. They get in massive anti-space weapons called Jackhammers and try to hold off the bad guy's massive army. The chorus is just so fucking awesome.

Man your battle stations!
ESPECIALLY at childrens birthdays.

And baptisms. And other such wholesome nonsense.

OT:

Or possibly Helloween's I want out:

Nothing like old school power metal for Primal battles with a healer, 2 tanks and 2 dd's down :D

I find that What I'm Made Of is good for any such situation.