Sonic Mania - New Official 16-Bit Nostalgic Sonic Game - SEGA FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It looks clean but when I saw the part of the trailer that showed off Sonic slowly sauntering around a loop it got me a bit worried. Personally, I don't like the Genesis Sonic games (this includes CD and Chaotix) so I don't really care about this game at all. I wish we got some actual gameplay from the other Sonic reveal trailer to be honest.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Worgen said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Worgen said:
Why are you getting excited for this? I've been watching game grumps play sonic and the black knight and its so bad and buggy. Sega barely cares about sonic, most of the games have been bad and pretty buggy. Are the old ones even that good? Granted I didn't grow up with them but trying to play them now they just feel... clunky and oddly designed, aside from a few early levels.
Well for on thing you shouldn't be using Arin as a gauge for how well a game plays. Not only does he hate Sonic games as a whole he's also trying as hard as he can to not pay attention to what's going on. Combine that with the fact he never reads the manual will make a game as easy as Sonic and the Black Knight seem unbearable.

And yeah the old sonic games are just good,simple,fun like other games from the 16 bit days but if you didn't grow up playing games from the era they're all gonna feel rather off.
Ehh, the only sonic game I remember enjoying was sonic battle 2 and I don't think I would really call that a good game.

I did grow up playing 8-16 bit games, but I had a nintendo growing up, not a genesis. Sonic always seemed to be trying too hard, too hard to be edgy, too hard to be cool, too hard to not be Mario. I never felt like speed really worked for sonic, you would start going at a good clip then run into a wall or spikes and even then you could only really be fast for any amount of time in the first few levels.
I thought Sonic, much as I loved him, was trying to be a bit too cool for school until I played Bubsy the Bobcat. Suddenly Sonic was the picture of restraint and good taste: plus loads of his character for that era is probably bleed-over from the cartoons of the day.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
Worgen said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Worgen said:
Why are you getting excited for this? I've been watching game grumps play sonic and the black knight and its so bad and buggy. Sega barely cares about sonic, most of the games have been bad and pretty buggy. Are the old ones even that good? Granted I didn't grow up with them but trying to play them now they just feel... clunky and oddly designed, aside from a few early levels.
Well for on thing you shouldn't be using Arin as a gauge for how well a game plays. Not only does he hate Sonic games as a whole he's also trying as hard as he can to not pay attention to what's going on. Combine that with the fact he never reads the manual will make a game as easy as Sonic and the Black Knight seem unbearable.

And yeah the old sonic games are just good,simple,fun like other games from the 16 bit days but if you didn't grow up playing games from the era they're all gonna feel rather off.
Ehh, the only sonic game I remember enjoying was sonic battle 2 and I don't think I would really call that a good game.

I did grow up playing 8-16 bit games, but I had a nintendo growing up, not a genesis. Sonic always seemed to be trying too hard, too hard to be edgy, too hard to be cool, too hard to not be Mario. I never felt like speed really worked for sonic, you would start going at a good clip then run into a wall or spikes and even then you could only really be fast for any amount of time in the first few levels.
I thought Sonic, much as I loved him, was trying to be a bit too cool for school until I played Bubsy the Bobcat. Suddenly Sonic was the picture of restraint and good taste: plus loads of his character for that era is probably bleed-over from the cartoons of the day.
Apparently you can thank sega of america for that, I think sega of japan wanted Sonic to be in a band and have a human girl friend. Oddly enough the best thing sonic has been associated was probably one of his cartoons. One of them was really good.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
BX3 said:
Just found out that all the music will be composed (or at least co-composed) by Tee Lopes of Youtube fame. Been a fan of the guy since Sonic 2 HD, so hearing that he's actually working on a SEGA licensed game does my heart good. Guy is a huge Sonic fan and a talented composer. I recommend checking out his page to get a decent idea of what you'll be hearing in Sonic Mania.
OHSHIT Tee Lopes is in on this too? My faith in this title cannot be higher. These guys know their way around a hedgehog.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Drop dash is a surprisingly exciting feature. The WORST parts of retro sonic games were things that killed your momentum, and this takes care of one of the big ones. I remember not wanting to progress in early sonic games because it went from a fun romp of finding different ways of quickly blaze through early levels, to a slow and methodical platformer with worse controls than Mario. Now it should be much easier to get through those later stages more quickly without having the difficulty compromised or the option to go slowly taken away.