Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Slowing With Age

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles (and the whole idea that you could plug Sonic 1 and 2 into S&K) were probably the best of the series IMO. Water levels in platformers though have always been a point of contention. At best they're an annoyance and at worst they're nightmare scenarios (hearing the drowning warning in Sonic still sends me into panic mode).
All in all I don't think people who grew up beyond the era would really ever appreciate the games, and its not just nostalgia speaking. I used to love the old Dungeon Keeper for example but the updates to graphics for modern games makes it really hard for me to stare at that game without getting a headache. (*insert diatribe about EA's horrible mobile rape of DK here*).
But back to the point at hand... They are great games for their time, and there are some things about them that taught me reflex and timing and most importantly, the thing the OP struggled with, how to control Sonic's mid-air inertia. It was a logical step up from Mario without going to 3D, and a worthy contender for the title of King of the Platformers... I'm not sure whether I would pick Sonic or Mario World (SNES) because I love those games both, for different reasons but the love still equates.
I still go back and play through Mario World every now and again, and once in a while fire up Sonic 3 just so I can beat it with all the Chaos gems...
But new age gamers, unless they're really into the retro gaming scene, probably won't enjoy Sonic or the older great titles (like Streets of Rage 2) because its past their time and may not make sense to them.
BTW if you didn't do Streets of Rage 2 yet, you might want to give it a shot. It was a well designed game for its time... I remember once during the first actual bossfight I managed to one-shot him because I hit a move perfectly, which to this day I've never been able to reproduce...