Sony: $250 Vita is the "Right Price"

Jaden Kazega

Nov 12, 2011
erbkaiser said:
Sure, but the thing is hardly selling at all. At some point making a loss on the console in order to sell more units, and earn back your loss in software, becomes common sense.

I do trust that Sony has plans for the Vita, the new games being almost all cross-buy and the future PS4 interaction may give the failed handheld a second life, but if (when) that fails to make the Vita a success I do hope Sony opts to lower its price.

I still don't have a Vita and likely will not buy one until the price drops.
Yea, I'm pretty much where you're at right now; in fact, I recently sold my Xbox 360 and all of my games because I never touch the thing anymore, just lost interest. Had pretty much all of the Halo games, but then Halo 4 came out, so 'meh', and on top of that no other exclusive Xbox games interested me. So my Xbox just sat there for months, and since I don't watch TV or movies all that much, Netflix and the like are useless to me (though it would certainly help if you didn't need Xbox Live Gold to even access your Netflix account. I mean, really?!).

So, I decided to just sell the thing, and made the decision to start anew with buying one of the two handhelds: the PS Vita or a 3DS. I was interested in the Vita, but the price of it compared to a 3DS XL was a little bit too much for me, until I read about the memory card thing just now here in this thread. I still feel like I made the right decision going with he 3DS because I grew up on Nintendo, and thought I should give them another chance. If the Vita's base price drops though, I'll give them another look as well, sometime in the future.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
$250 is a pretty good price... But memory cards are what turns people off. I hope they're right, that the ps4 will encourage people to try the vita. I love the device and I hope it gets a library that rivals the psp

kamay

Nov 9, 2010
A 3DS XL is $199 and even though it is less powerful it has a lot more interesting games than the Vita's..none.
When I do actually pick up a new handheld it'll be a 3DS
lower price, better games, eshop
nuff said

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
PoolCleaningRobot said:
$250 is a pretty good price... But memory cards are what turns people off. I hope they're right, that the ps4 will encourage people to try the vita. I love the device and I hope it gets a library that rivals the psp
I'm with you here. I'm still expecting SOME kind of news on the Vita at TGS, but both the handheld itself and especially the memory cards are too expensive. SD cards are getting stupid cheap, and for Sony to keep their SD cards at what's currently 2-3 times the cost of normal cards is silly.

Cut the price of the cards by at least 1/3 along with dropping $50 off the Vita. Also include a Vita bundle for $150 that includes the handheld and an 8GB card, but you're locked into a 1 year PS+ subscription at a slightly higher $8 monthly fee rather than $18/90day or $50/year. Yeah, it's taking a play from Microsoft's rulebook, but in this case the sub is still relatively worth it, and you get a really cheap handheld out of it with instant games to play.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
It needs games to draw people over. Im not buying a 360 because I can play most of their games on the pc, I will however possibly buy a ps3 so that I can play heavy rain, metal gear solid series, god of war series etc

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Just picked a Vita up on Ebay for $200 and it came with an 8gig memory card. I say the asking price for a new one is way too much, especially if we are talking about using it in conjunction with a PS4. But, I'm not worried really. Now I can play some of the games I have been missing and there is some good ones coming out for it too. And I didn't have to kill my wallet to do it.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
My problem with the Vita is that of the few games that are actually out for the thing, none of them are really handheld games. They're all just console games on a smaller screen. Nintendo just has the whole creating engaging experiences for the portables down. Power doesn't mean much if you don't know how to use it, or in Sony's case, lack the will to use it.

Basically, my Vita's currently in the process of being sold, and my 3DS is taking a short break after Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem before it goes into overdrive this fall. That is unless I pick up Animal Crossing, and then it won't get a break until after Christmas.

I don't have enough money to buy all the games I want on the 3DS, but selling my Vita will help me get some of them.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Baresark said:
Just picked a Vita up on Ebay for $200 and it came with an 8gig memory card. I say the asking price for a new one is way too much, especially if we are talking about using it in conjunction with a PS4. But, I'm not worried really. Now I can play some of the games I have been missing and there is some good ones coming out for it too. And I didn't have to kill my wallet to do it.
I got a 3G Vita for $250 with a 32GB card and Uncharted, talk about win! I agree the system is awesome but the price new is just too high for the cards, the system I understand, but memory cards are cheap as chips now adays it's not good enough.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Didn't get a PSP, and I doubt I'll get a Vita, but come with me on a stroll down logic lane.

The PS4 is going to be $400. The Vita is going to be $250 according to the article. Well, at that price, I'm expecting a bit more than half a consoles worth of performance out of it, and I doubt I'm gonna get that. The games won't be as long, or as fancy, or as deep as their console brethren, so where's the incentive for me to get one?

Not that it matters, I haven't the incentive to get one anyway. When I'm gaming, I'm home. When I'm not home, I'm working. I'm not the target audience. Just food for thought.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
You know what, Sony? $250 would definitely be the right price for the Vita... If you used SD cards. Fix your bullshit memory card prices and we'll talk.