Sony allegedly starting to censor depictions of violence in games starting with dismemberments

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I think he is asking citation about Sony moving their official headquarters out of Japan and to California
No, I was actually asking about the crime stats.

There are no shortage of examples but a few on a quick google search (first albeit with a caveat)-

So the main reason I asked for these links was to see how you were using the numbers. Comparing crime statistics between countries is a notoriously difficult thing to do with any sort of validity. The primary reasons for this are 1. differing legal definitions, 2. differing enforcement mechanisms, and 3. differing recording processes. From your presented data, it doesn't look like you're actually taking any of those concerns into consideration.

I'm not sure why you've included the link about obesity though? Unless you're saying that obesity falls under your definition of "general societal degeneracy"?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
No, I was actually asking about the crime stats.
My mistake then.

Avnger said:
So the main reason I asked for these links was to see how you were using the numbers. Comparing crime statistics between countries is a notoriously difficult thing to do with any sort of validity. The primary reasons for this are 1. differing legal definitions, 2. differing enforcement mechanisms, and 3. differing recording processes. From your presented data, it doesn't look like you're actually taking any of those concerns into consideration.

I'm not sure why you've included the link about obesity though? Unless you're saying that obesity falls under your definition of "general societal degeneracy"?
Not to mention the definition of degeneracy. I mean, I know people who would consider this NSFW event degenerate, and yet it is a decades-old festival born from a centuries-old tradition.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
My mistake then.

Not to mention the definition of degeneracy. I mean, I know people who would consider this NSFW event degenerate, and yet it is a decades-old festival born from a centuries-old tradition.

Yeah, that's the issue with using such a term so broadly...

To use the obesity example brought up by Hansel, it would be hard to disagree that some cases of obesity are due to "degeneracy," but there are many, many cases that categorically are not. Obesity can be caused by a number of factors such as underlying medical issues, lack of wealth to eat healthy (non-nutritional yet filling food is the cheapest option available), and lack of access to healthy foods (eg: "food deserts"); none of these causes are in any way, shape, or form related to a moral failing of those suffering.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, that's the issue with using such a term so broadly...

To use the obesity example brought up by Hansel, it would be hard to disagree that some cases of obesity are due to "degeneracy," but there are many, many cases that categorically are not. Obesity can be caused by a number of factors such as underlying medical issues, lack of wealth to eat healthy (non-nutritional yet filling food is the cheapest option available), and lack of access to healthy foods (eg: "food deserts"); none of these causes are in any way, shape, or form related to a moral failing of those suffering.
It was meant to point out that, while there are exceptions like you mentioned, the bulk of the statistics are primarily attributed to cultural differences. America is nothing if not excessive, and that certainly holds true when considering dietary habits. We could say it’s often due to lack of nutrition, education, ease of access, or any number of factors, but those are merely symptoms of other societal issues. At some point though, there needs to be sense of personal responsibility to one’s own health that, in the States at least, seems to be too often buried under a thick layer of apathy. In order to correct that we’d first have to address how we ended up on such a different path than other developed nations.

What’s the saying, the love of money (or ultimately power, especially over others) is the root of all evil? That could be a start.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
...great. And? Is there a point to trying to throw stats at each other to try and "prove" which culture is More Degenerate?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
At some point though, there needs to be sense of personal responsibility to one’s own health that, in the States at least, seems to be too often buried under a thick layer of apathy.
But that's also the case in Japan. The Karoshi is a severe problem in Japan, where people neglet their own health for work to the point of death by the high levels of stress or starvation causing heart attacks and strokes; and people are too apathic towards the issue.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
But that's also the case in Japan. The Karoshi is a severe problem in Japan, where people neglet their own health for work to the point of death by the high levels of stress or starvation causing heart attacks and strokes; and people are too apathic towards the issue.
Yeah true, they’re just kinda on the other end of the spectrum of it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
First go the titties, then the fatalities, then GTA gets banned in Ilinios "to reduce crime".

I say just allow everything like a free society should and let individuals shoulder the responsibility of not harming others due to the entertainment they consume while maintaining the illegality of the illegal things one could potentially do and punishing them accordingly.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Meh, who cares.

Personally i consider violence censorship (if you want to call it that even if it not really is) far more sensible than nudity censorship. At least if it is only about graphical details and not about messing with the plot to hide that bad things happened.

But maybe that is just culture.