Sony Announces 40 GB PlayStation 3 For Europe; No Backward Compatibility

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Announces 40 GB PlayStation 3 For Europe; No Backward Compatibility

Following weeks of rumors, PlayStation 3 [http://www.scee.com/index.jhtml]model for release in Europe that will list at $565.

The unit is being released in response to feedback from current PlayStation 3 owners, as well as research indicating demand for a less-expensive model. Along with the smaller hard drive, the new version will feature two USB ports instead of four, will not include a memory card port and, most significantly, will not be backward-compatible with PlayStation 2 titles. Sony said the removal of PlayStation 2 support in the console is the result of "reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3," as well as plans for a more robust selection of PlayStation 3 games for Christmas.

"The introduction of the new PS3 has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next generation of PS3 owners," said SCEE President David Reeves. "It has allowed us to delivery an extremely advanced, yet incredibly affordable high definition gaming and entertainment system, configured to the next generation of European PS3 owners."

The existing 60 GB Starter Pack, which does sport PlayStation 2 compatibility, will remain on sale throughout Europe while stock lasts, at a reduced price of just over $700, except in the U.K. and Ireland, where it will be replaced by a separate in-store 60 GB promotion. Sony has made no comment thus far regarding the possible release of a 40 GB PlayStation 3 in North America.

Repo Man

Oct 4, 2007
Been reading some reactions on a few other boards this morning and i find it amusing how people first moan like hell about the high price, then when sony cuts the price they moan like hell because they've dropped the backwards compatibility from the new model. I guess people will never be happy although at the same time i find myself wondering why they dropped the backwards compatibility since wasnt it done in software on the EU consoles ?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
All I care, really, is to get a PS3 around 400 ?, with everything and many good games.
That means wait. A lot.
But nevermind, I won't pretend I jumped on the PS2 in its early ages.

brkl

Jul 12, 2006
Oh man, incredibly affordable? PS3: Still expensive as hell, but now even more disappointing. Rush to the stores!

Kadayi

Sep 6, 2007
Repo Man said:
Been reading some reactions on a few other boards this morning and i find it amusing how people first moan like hell about the high price, then when sony cuts the price they moan like hell because they've dropped the backwards compatibility from the new model. I guess people will never be happy although at the same time i find myself wondering why they dropped the backwards compatibility since wasnt it done in software on the EU consoles ?
It's a pretty big issue if you love your games, as it stands presently PS3..not much happening games wise as yet so not being able to play your old PS2 games on the thing is a pretty valid concern. Given the choice between buying a decent system or one that's hamstrung I'm inclined to hold out for the decent one when it's available at a reasonable price.

aniki21

Jan 26, 2007
I don't suppose anybody knows the actual Pound Sterling or Euro prices for these new bundles?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Check out http://www.xe.com/ucc/ [http://www.xe.com/ucc/].

Far as the removal of backwards compatibility goes, my initial (and very knee-jerk) reaction was that it's a hugely stupid idea, especially in light of the PS3's ongoing sales difficulties. But it does make sense: The PS3 library is approaching critical mass, and the system has been out long enough now that PS2 compatibility isn't likely to have a large impact on future sales. And if you're that desperate to play your PS2 games, get a PS2. They're still on the market and pretty damn cheap these days.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Yes, it makes sense to have the cheapest PS3 PS2 free, really... so as you say, you can buy the PS2. :)
Nevermind, playing Shadow of the Colossus on a console that's not bleeding chipsets and silicone everytime you fight a boss may still be a new and better way to experience the game.
On that, in fact, I never checked out. Will the game run smoother, or be just as handicaped as it was on the PS2?