Sony Announces New PS2 Bundle

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010

Sony still believes the PS2 has some solid sales potential and has just announced a new bundle for the console.

Even though we're several incarnations into the PS3's existence, Sony wants you to know that it hasn't given up on the PlayStation 2's retail potential. The electronics manufacturer has revealed that it's putting out a new bundle of the ten-year-old console.

The new special edition bundle will hit stores on October 31st, which comes with a PS2 build of Toy Story 3 and will run $99. It's actually a pretty decent price, especially if you happen to be looking for a DVD player with some gaming potential.

It's tempting to write off the PS2 as a hopelessly-outdated system, but I have a number of friends who still get a lot of fun out of the console, especially when they're using it for party games or playing some of the more iconic titles like God of War and the Jak & Daxter series. For $99, the bundle is certainly a solid deal.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-new-playstation-2-bundle-announced>Eurogamer

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Or they could simply make that little PS2 playing device that they'd come up with an idea for...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Sounds like a good deal, but could they of picked a better game then Toy Story 3? I loved the movie but even Pixar tie in games are terrible.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
vansau said:
It's actually a pretty decent price, especially if you happen to be looking for a DVD player with some gaming potential.
If you wanted a DVD player that plays games for $100, you could get a 360 Arcade for somewhat cheaper on eBay.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
hell my PS2 gets more playtime than my 360, I love having 3 buddies over and we can just play some 4-player bond or timesplitters, drink, bullshit and just have a great time

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
My PS2 is still the most played console in my house. Prettier graphics aside, I've found very few games that have really brought a lot of new things to the gameplay table that couldn't/weren't done on the PS2.

Sackboy can wear all the little clothes and wigs that he wants, big manly bonding men can hide behind all the chest-high walls between here and mars, and everyone else can quicktime their way to hell, but they will all still get rolled up by my katamari and hurled at the sun.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
On the one hand, companies supporting their old products is something we don't see enough of in technology-based indsutries. Kudos to Sony for realizing that yesterday's customers are no less valuable than today's. PS2 games are still being played, so PS2 Consoles should still be produced new if possible, albeit in smaller amounts. Nothing is worse than telling someone that the AC Adapter to their N64 is going to be difficult to replace after their cat ate the cable.

On the other hand, if Sony could just have found a way to keep backwards compaitbility in the PS3 at an affordable price, none of this would be necessary.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
vansau said:

It's tempting to write off the PS2 as a hopelessly-outdated system, but I have a number of friends who still get a lot of fun out of the console, especially when they're using it for party games or playing some of the more iconic titles like God of War and the Jak & Daxter series. For $99, the bundle is certainly a solid deal.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-new-playstation-2-bundle-announced>Eurogamer

What about Ratchet and Clank? Best PS2 game series.

I still have a PS2 plugged into my tv. FFX, FFXII, Jak 2&3 + R&C are all still on the rotation.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
That is a good deal, especially when you consider how great the PS2's library was and how you can't play any of it on most PS3s.

But I'll hold out for a PS2 emulator patch or store-bought attachment.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I love the PS2. So many memories. Such a great console. I am a life long devoted PC gamer but my favorite game of all time is MGS3. I still remember the hype and everything. I think I'm gonna get this. I still have a shitload of games for PS2, over 142 to be precise.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
And who's gonna sell this? All the targets in my district phased them out 18 months ago, wal-mart doesn't carry them. If you get it from game stop why would you not just get a used one for 30-50 bucks or an arcade for 99-129.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
I have a collection of over 100 PS2 titles and they are all classics, no duds! name another console that can claim this!